PDA

View Full Version : Hobart G600

shanghyd
03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi all,
I have a Hobart G-600 3000 pound monstrosity that is a work in progress.
I've spent a little time and posted a little on hobartwelders.com and they are helpful. Not much traffic though. I thought maybe I can get a few more thread views here.

This welder/generator is equiped with a Chrysler 318 V8 and was missing the water pump when I got it. Autozone and Advance can't find the water pump I need. I've retrofitted it in the meantime but without the correct water pump the governor doesn't line up correctly.

Here is an image of the water pump housing sans the water pump. Thanks in advance for info and ideas.

usmcgremlin
03-26-2008, 06:51 PM
there are casting numbers on the block that can tell you what year it was produced that will help with finding the correct water pump

shanghyd
03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Some pictures of the numbers I've found on the block.

denrep
03-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey Shanghyd,
That's an LA 318, (vs the older poly, AKA wide motor) industrial engine. In my opinion, the best small block ever built, especially the red ones. Casting date sure looks like '66.

That water pump will be readily available, once you "get past the parts guy".
Your Hobart engine uses a unique "heavy" front cover and pump, which, among other things, raised the fan blade. The cover was used on truck/bus/motor home/industrial engines.

Try to order a pump for an early 70's D-600 truck, or an RM (motor home) chassis. Travco belonged to Chrysler in this era, maybe try to order the pump for a Travco motor-home - RM chassis, 318engine.

There was another Hobart/Chrysler thread on here some time ago. I posted a Hemi/Hobart picture there. Interesting project, keep us posted.

Good Luck

denrep
03-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Here Shanghyd,
It came to me in a dream!

NAPA Item#: NWP55934

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NWP&PartNumber=55934&Description=Water+Pump+-+New

Good Luck

shanghyd
04-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Picked up the water pump today. This is the Advance Auto Parts version of the pump. NAPA had computer problems the day I went there.
I cleaned up the timing chain cover a little bit.