PDA

View Full Version : Is this band saw any good?

JeepSahara
04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Anyone have experience with this band saw? I am not a pro or anything just sort of a hobby guy that likes to tinker and was looking for a better way to cut up steel better and maybe more accurately than my chop saw. Let me know thanks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93762

Broccoli1
04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Scroll down and look at the thread " HF 4x6 band saw just went on sale $150..."
:dizzy::dizzy:

bentwings
04-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I got one of these a long time ago. It's been updated with a better switch now from the picture. Mine has cut one big pile of steel much of it 4130 tubing. Used with a bit of cutting oil blades last a while. I made a better vertical table with a replacable table surface. works great.

The only thing I don't like is the gear box. It has a lot of backlash right from the start. I opened it up and about fell over from the reeky oder of the lubricant. Closed it up and forgot about it.

So Far a good buy.

Jim Stabe
04-27-2008, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=bentwings;182498]
The only thing I don't like is the gear box. It has a lot of backlash right from the start. I opened it up and about fell over from the reeky oder of the lubricant. Closed it up and forgot about it.QUOTE]
When I got mine I drained the factory lube, washed out the cavity with solvent and refilled with 90-140 gear lube. You wouldn't believe the crud that was in the factory lube.

Jim

steve45
04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=bentwings;182498]
The only thing I don't like is the gear box. It has a lot of backlash right from the start. I opened it up and about fell over from the reeky oder of the lubricant. Closed it up and forgot about it.QUOTE]
When I got mine I drained the factory lube, washed out the cavity with solvent and refilled with 90-140 gear lube. You wouldn't believe the crud that was in the factory lube.

Jim

Isn't sawdust supposed to quiet down gears with a lot of backlash?;)

bentwings
04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
There isn't any way I'd open up that gearbox again unless it was a bright sun shinny day with a 40 mph wind. I'd be on the upwind side with an air supplied respirator. haha:laugh:

metalworx
10-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Just wanted to give you an update for those of you use the HF bandsaw. I have used one for over two years now and after some initial minor modifications and tweaks, it has worked well for me, until this past weekend. (The red/maroon model, not the green one)

The gearbox locked up on me and upon investigation, I discovered that the gearbox was bone dry. The brass spur gear just disintegrated without lube. There is an oil seal on the shaft leaving the gearbox and going to the driver head for the blade. That oil seal slowly leaked the gerbox oil out over time and because I use liberal amounts of cutting oil, it was unnoticeable. I have ordered a replacement gear and oil seal from the HF customer service and am awaiting for it to arrive.

I intend to put a small pipe plug in the gearbox that I can use to periodically check the level of oil in the gear box. Currently you have to remove the cover to check the level. And yes, I cleared the hood with an unbelievable foul stench when opening the gear box. I intend to use a good gear oil when reassembling. My gut tells me the oil they ship it with is not very good and that the first thing I should have done was replace the oil before ever starting it up.

Just thought I would save others the pain of going through the same thing.