PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on welding projects

★ NoBigDeal Fab ★
12-28-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm thinking about making some engine stand kits, for first time welders, and for those that want a stand but don't want to buy junk. I'll be making the adjustable arms and main plate, and you would then add your own tubing for the legs and stand.

Thinking about a pistol lock box kit, for people who want a safe place to store a firearm in a car/truck.

Thinking about designing several handgun targets, such a dualing trees, and many static targets, in just about any shape you could think of. All targets would be made out of AR400 1/4 inch plate. (will handle 22lr, 5.7x28, 9mm, .40, and .45) this would be a DIY project not a ready to shoot setup.

Thinking about adapters for an engine stand to allow axles to be held in place.

As always, custom designs are always welcome

And I'm sure I'll come up with several other designs. I want to hear your thoughts, what are you looking for?

stancemx6
01-27-2013, 04:59 AM
How in depth are you willing to go? Your not very clear on the engine stand, are you just going to be making the arms and plate or will you have the vertical member as well? Reason i ask is that when i build my stand i am going to have the vertical part adjustable to raise or lower the engine. Haven't decided if i will use a crank and gear or just leave it manual.

Also, i would like to add a pan that could collect oil/liquid/whatever on the bottom as well. and locking casters on the rotating end so that when your torquing head bolts your not spinning the stand instead of tightening the bolts. and possibly outriggers of some type so the stand doesn't "tip" during the same process.

These are just ideas that i have but you are free to use them if you decide to go that much in depth just please send me pics if you do!!

As far as the gun stuff, never even held one so i couldn't be much help on them

Oh, and as for the axles on the engine stand. would not be difficult if you leave the axle housings and the differential together just use clamps like a V band wastegate clamp

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/601687240/Tail_MVR_44mm_V_band_kits_wastegate.jpg

(the one on the far left) except have the bottom one welded/fastened to the head of the engine stand so you can set the axle in it like a cradle, then just set the top one on and tighten it down to secure the axle in place

★ NoBigDeal Fab ★
01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
To keep shipping costs reasonable, I was thinking that it's best to stick to just the headstock. As shipping tubeing for it would increase the price, and it would be cheaper to buy it local than pay for shipping. I could devise a way to make the main tube adjustable with say a boat winch, and build the mounting bracket.

herbet99
01-27-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure I understand what value you would be adding with a kit, but I know one thing I've been thinking of building is an engine run stand.

stancemx6
01-27-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure I understand what value you would be adding with a kit, but I know one thing I've been thinking of building is an engine run stand.

that is a great idea as well, but would require alot more material. and structure/stability

If its a quality piece i'm sure that people wouldn't mind paying for shipping if the features can benefit them.

atg
05-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Is this guy still in business?

tackit
05-31-2014, 05:52 PM
These would be nice projects.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624054_200624054

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200586783_200586783

atg
05-31-2014, 06:09 PM
I was just hoping to get something plasma cut.