PDA

View Full Version : Please Bear With Us/Welding Mag Redesign

Steve at WeldingMag
05-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Beginning Wednesday, May 28, 2008 Weldingmag.com will be relaunched with a brand new look.

During this process of heavy construction, you may experience some temporary technical issues on weldingweb or with certain links between weldingmag and weldingweb over the next couple of days.

These problems, if they occur at all, should only be brief and intermittent.

Our new design features a much more attractive interface and improved navigation, making it easier to find what you're looking for more quickly.

Your patience during this period will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve at WeldingMag

Mandau
05-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Thank you for the new user friendly interface...

I just cruised around and found what I have been trying to install solution for years but couldnt find

http://columbiamt.com/CMT-Main/

I have send them an email and told them I found them through weldmag... will expect quote and corresponding soon...

nice job... just wanna tell ya

wello
05-29-2008, 05:46 AM
does this mean spell check will be back ?

the new site upgrade seems a little slower to load than this morning when it was the same old thing nothing loads till all the adds are shown
is it going to stay narrow ?

Steve at WeldingMag
05-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Thank you for the new user friendly interface...

I just cruised around and found what I have been trying to install solution for years but couldnt find

http://columbiamt.com/CMT-Main/

I have send them an email and told them I found them through weldmag... will expect quote and corresponding soon...

nice job... just wanna tell ya
That's terrific! Thanks for letting us know.

Best regards,
Steve at WeldingMag

Steve at WeldingMag
05-29-2008, 08:22 AM
does this mean spell check will be back ?

the new site upgrade seems a little slower to load than this morning when it was the same old thing nothing loads till all the adds are shown
is it going to stay narrow ?
Thanks for the feedback. You might notice that the new site loads a tad slower but that's because there are larger images than before, it shouldn't make much of a difference if you have a decently fast connection.
Regarding spell check, unfortunately, we were alerted that having it was a security risk so we had to abandon it just to be on the safe side.

Best Regards,

Steve at WeldingMag

MAC702
05-29-2008, 09:30 AM
I have an ADSL connection here. I can definitely notice the pages take a LOT longer to load. If I was on dial-up, which I am in most countries (I got lucky here) I'd think about not bothering. Honest feedback.

Mandau
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Regarding spell check, unfortunately, we were alerted that having it was a security risk so we had to abandon it just to be on the safe side.

..... LOL ..... luck me for that... my english...:laugh:

No problem with mine... a second difference... Duo core make magic...:)

David R
05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Can ya make it fit my screen?

David :)

zapster
05-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Too big??
Go here..

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=21796

...zap!

ed mac
05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
looks good like the blue much better

MAC702
05-30-2008, 08:10 AM
It's working faster now, and it looks that one big ad is missing now; that might have done it.

gnm109
05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I have an ADSL connection here. I can definitely notice the pages take a LOT longer to load. If I was on dial-up, which I am in most countries (I got lucky here) I'd think about not bothering. Honest feedback.

I certainly agree. I have a 3.0 mb DSL line and a 2.0 gHz computer. I can hardly get the threads to open up anymore. The scroll function on my mouse won't work on this site. (The only one).

They took all of the ease of use out of it. It' a lot of work now. I will just check in from time to time and see if it can be fixed.

Regards,

gnm109

mla2ofus
05-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah,I don't care for either ctrl+scroll wheel to make it smaller and harder to read or scrolling sideways to read threads and posts. I'll check in occasionally to see if anything has changed.
Mike

nosleepno
05-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Looks alot better, I like it.

I have a 3mb dsl also and it seems to load fine to me.

Mandau
05-30-2008, 09:32 PM
food for thought...:laugh:

MAC702
05-30-2008, 11:50 PM
It's working faster now, and it looks that one big ad is missing now; that might have done it.

Nevermind. It's still much slower than it used to be.

I've no problems with scrolling though, and the wider format is working for me, but I've seen isolated posts before that weren't wide enough and had to scroll side-to-side. I still don't know what settings cause that.

daddy
05-31-2008, 03:49 PM
For me the new format is narrower, and leaves a blank strip on each side of my screen.:confused:

Mark...
05-31-2008, 10:11 PM
No problems for me yet. Running cable broadband. I have the narrow strips on each side, but they are only about 1/4 inch wide each.

Everything else is working normal. I guess time will tell.

daddy
05-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Mine are about two and a half inches, blank grey, on each side of the page.

MAC702
06-01-2008, 03:28 AM
With as slow as this thing loads, and I need to cut down my Internet usage, I just decided which forum gets the axe for a while.

Mandau
06-01-2008, 10:16 AM
True... but sometime we need to sacrifice a bit for the better good for the forum, its free anyway... hate to see losing new friends also...:(

wello
06-02-2008, 05:57 AM
True... but sometime we need to sacrifice a bit for the better good for the forum, its free anyway... hate to see losing new friends also...:(

what you say might be true but is worth losing good members over

Mandau
06-02-2008, 06:24 AM
I enjoyed alot of many members articles and work pic... I'll never can creat all that beauty but would be a great inspire for me... good member will inspire people... losing would be a lost surely... but surely everybody come here with a free mind... no forcing from the forum... we just need a bit of adaptation to share... :) my good friend...

smithboy
06-02-2008, 07:39 PM
About spell check...
I have noticed that if you use mozilla, you get spell check within the browser for whatever you type here. My spelling is pretty dern bad, so I try to use mozilla to compensate when I am on my machine...currently I am not...so, overlook any mistakes you find.

bikerdave47
06-03-2008, 09:22 PM
GREAT Looking format, this Site has Always been so Helpful. Thanks to ALL....Dave

Mandau
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Dont know .For what I care this should be name the God welding forum...or somethin else u feel it might make u happy. True professional? Well, nobody can take away what is yours... Forum generate and share ideas together... but the community is the SOUL of the forum... so u think u lost your soul only if u believe it...

Bob at WeldingMag
06-05-2008, 10:29 AM
This forum is open to anyone who wants to be here. It also, by virtue of your continued posting, is obviously open to people who don't want to be here but inexplicably remain here anyway.
There is no test required for membership at WeldingWeb. The basic idea is to help people who come here with questions because they don't know as much as you.
While it is not in everyone's DNA to be welcoming and nurturing, make no mistake: We do not aspire to, or pretend to be, a private clubhouse for an elitist few.
The world needs more welders; a lot more welders. WeldingWeb welcomes anyone who wants to take up the torch.

I find it hard to believe that no one has made note of the forum name change. The redesign not only has a new look but a name change, too. It is no longer WeldingWeb-professional welding forum. Now it has morphed into:

"Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts."

What better way to ingratiate all the immigrants from lessor welding forums than to say in a nice way, Welcome Schmucks, we're no different from Miller or Hobart? Come on in and pick the brains of the few, true, professional welders still dispensing wisdom here. There used to be more of them, but now not so much.

It wouldn't surprise me if, in the future, this place once again morphed into enthusiasts only forum. Full of 'yo dudes, and he he's, and that cell phone shorthand that internet savy 10 year old girls use. Man, I can't wait. How about you?

zapster
06-05-2008, 04:33 PM
If you do not like the site..
There is a two word answer for your dillemma..

Log Out.

Nobody is twisting your arm to stay.

...zap!

tnjind
06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah, like ToolBoxTalk.

Sober_Pollock
06-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I miss "Big Bank Hank"

gnm109
06-06-2008, 01:55 AM
This forum is open to anyone who wants to be here. It also, by virtue of your continued posting, is obviously open to people who don't want to be here but inexplicably remain here anyway.
There is no test required for membership at WeldingWeb. The basic idea is to help people who come here with questions because they don't know as much as you.
While it is not in everyone's DNA to be welcoming and nurturing, make no mistake: We do not aspire to, or pretend to be, a private clubhouse for an elitist few.
The world needs more welders; a lot more welders. WeldingWeb welcomes anyone who wants to take up the torch.

I like the site very much but the new ads and the slow loading time are taking all of the fun out of it. When I open the site, I get 7/8 of a page of ads - every time. Then I wait about 10 seconds for the site to open fully. After that, scrolling is jumpy and difficult. My center scroll control no longer works in the field, only on the edges.

Others say if you use Mozilla or Firefox you can shut the ads off by disabling Javasript. That would be a silly thing for me to do since all of the other sites I visit on various topics, and they are numerous, work perfectly with my present setup.

Zapster says if we don't like the site the way it is we should leave. Is that what you want?

zapster
06-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Your taking this all wrong..

Look at it this way..
If you don't like whats on TV

You change the channel.
Same for radio..

Internet is no diffrent..

But you always come back now and again don't you?

...zap!

tnjind
06-06-2008, 08:14 AM
I used to subscribe to "This Old House" magazine. But it got to be mostly adds and the projects were geared towards women. I Even noticed the articles were worded different I looked and sure enough most of the authors were women.
I am sure it is a fine mag. but not for me anymore. The mag changed into something that I no longer want to read, so I don't "keep going back".
I am in NO WAY making ANY comparison, just that some readers were lost because of the shift. I hope that is not happening here.

Take it for whatever it's worth. I am not trying to srart something.

gnm109
06-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Your taking this all wrong..

Look at it this way..
If you don't like whats on TV

You change the channel.
Same for radio..

Internet is no diffrent..

But you always come back now and again don't you?

...zap!

Well, it sounds like we are being just supposed to be quiet and use the site as is. Sure, I can do that, no problem. I like the people for the most part and the information is helpful.

Sure, I'll keep coming around. It just won't be as much fun. They did the same thing over at Practical Machinist (added more ads) but they are trying to fix it. I just think the software needs a litte tweaking. Someone should take a look at it.

Bob at WeldingMag
06-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I like the site very much but the new ads and the slow loading time are taking all of the fun out of it. When I open the site, I get 7/8 of a page of ads - every time. Then I wait about 10 seconds for the site to open fully. After that, scrolling is jumpy and difficult. My center scroll control no longer works in the field, only on the edges.

Others say if you use Mozilla or Firefox you can shut the ads off by disabling Javasript. That would be a silly thing for me to do since all of the other sites I visit on various topics, and they are numerous, work perfectly with my present setup.

Zapster says if we don't like the site the way it is we should leave. Is that what you want?

I appreciate the feedback. We are aware of the problem with ads loading; it's due to a change to a new vendor for tracking traffic on the site -- part of which has to do with ads and part of which has to do with general traffic. Bottom line, the new vendor uses a different technology to do the job, which has created the problem with ads loading.

We have given the vendor a firm deadline to fix this, after which we will, if needed, remove the ads until we're able to provide them without having such a negative effect on the site's load time.

As for Zapster's comment, it does not represent our feelings and he should have said it.

Stack of Dimes
06-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey Bob, let in anyone you like. It's your forum. I told you before that I now mostly come here for the early morning belly laughs. I still chuckle about that heaping pile of drill bits that got dulled by the concrete floor. Talk about priceless?!?

Same here, it's the first stop of the day to find a good laugh then it's off to the other sites! Didn't know anyone else was doing it too! Hahahahahaha

Then there's the thread about 'Are you a welding mag subscriber?' Sounds like 'Can we have some of your money?' to me! You'd expect that from a publishing company who don't have welding gear they can sell. You don't see threads like that started on Miller or Hobart asking you to buy their stuff! The ads are there, but they don't post stuff in the forums! For the most part, they're silent unless specifically asked a question.

This site could benefit from that.

:D

Mandau
06-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Mmmm... yes the world is watch and thinking these funny guys that tell a forum how to run their show... I am just curious on how and where they have an experience in running one correctly and show prove on their view...

View on some member from low I.Q. 3rd world member...

Stack of Dimes
06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Mmmm... yes the world is watch and thinking these funny guys that tell a forum how to run their show... I am just curious on how and where they have an experience in running one correctly and show prove on their view...

I don't need to know what the exact curvature of the Earth is to tell you the world isn't flat too, do I? I can see what works other places to make an opinion. To show prove my view try checking out other welding sites. It looks like I'm not the only one with the same view.

:laugh:

gnm109
06-18-2008, 10:55 PM
The site is I still difficult to use. It's very jerky, the ads take several seconds to load even on a fast line and the site won't scroll properly. I guess they intend to leave it that way. There's nothing I can do about it. I still don't understand why the ads must be reloaded when changing from thread to thread. I get a new load of the same ads, over and over again. It's sort of like the "Ethnic" Water Torture.

I visit many other sites that have ads and they are very clean and smooth. Apparently the software has taken over here and can't be fixed. I do know I'm visiting her less and posting less.

:dizzy:

blackdoggy
06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Use Mozilla Foxfire and download Adblocker and block them all out like I do :P.

GiantTechGuy
06-21-2008, 11:19 PM
It's funny, the site loads FAST for me and I see zero ads, I mean ZERO. What's with that?

TEK
06-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Use Mozilla Foxfire and download Adblocker and block them all out like I do :P.

Thats my set-up too and I have zero ads and the site works smooth enough.(actually, I use FIREFOX, but, whos being picky.)

Mandau
06-21-2008, 11:55 PM
get some lincoln LWS to see you PC link and they'll solve your ZERO add problem:D

GiantTechGuy
06-22-2008, 07:40 AM
get some lincoln LWS to see you PC link and they'll solve your ZERO add problem:D

I like the looks of her but , I DON"T GET IT.

StillBoostin
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I use Mozilla, but I have cable internet so it is fast. Fiber optic is available in 2 months and I can't wait.

James