PDA

View Full Version : Can it be done? Hobart Airforce Plasma 250 to 250A?

mccutter
06-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Can it be done? Hobart Airforce Plasma 250 to 250A?

I'm looking at a Hobart (Miller) Airforce 250 NEW with box locally only 10min. away for four-and-one-half beans asking price. Seller is legit and unit isn't stolen. He bought it to do some floors in his Mustang but never even plugged it in. But it isn't the 250A which has a built-in compressor. :(

Question 1: It appears in the manual that the compressor may be able to be retrofitted to the 250 with the addition of the compressor and some other parts. Does anyone know if this can be done easily or would it be cost prohibitive (ie: more than $200)?

Question 2: (And/Or) What would be a good gas to use in a portable fashion. I have a scuba tank(s) with regulator (and the special fittings) to plumb it to the 250. Or are there other, better gases to use portably?

Thanks for your help!

StillBoostin
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
^
That Guy.

But seriously I don't have answer for you.

James

Cruizer
06-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, sure you could do it, though not cost effective as getting yourself a small air compressor to merely plug into your standard 250.

mccutter
07-24-2008, 10:25 PM
UPDATE: bought the plasma for $400 or "four beans". :laugh:

With input from others (thanks!), I decided it would be better to have the air compressor and plasma separate to avoid breaker tripping on questionable circuits. CFM requirements are only a little over 1cfm so just about any little compressor (with a tank) will work.

jbs10
12-06-2009, 09:44 PM
was u able to buy pass the air compressor in the 250a if so how did u do this just got 1 and think it need this done to make it work better. i al so got mine 4 4beans.lol also r u happy w/it thank