PDA

View Full Version : Plasma cutter?

bdog_v
07-07-2008, 05:51 AM
hello I am thinking of buying the AirForce™ 400 plasma cutter. However, this is my first time dealing with a plasma cutter so I need to learn the basics. Can someone tell me.

-What would need to be maintained on this machine any kind of tips?

-Do I need to buy the 195981 Plasma Cutting Guide, in order to cut straight lines?

-Or is there some way to use the plasma cutter and cut straight without buying the expensive guides? They are around $130!!!! for the one I listed above....

-ANy other thoughts???

Thanks!!!!!

STwelder
07-07-2008, 06:39 AM
As far as straight line cutting, get your self a piece if 1/4" flat stock 1 1/2" wide and as long as you think you might need to cut a straight line and that should do that. And as for consumables for the machine it shouldn't be any different than the rest, tips collars the normal stuff for the torch. Maintained KEEP DRY air only going to the machine. And no self oilers inline in the air supply, or compressors worn or not that are known to add oil to the air. And by the way that is a nice cutter the Airforce 400.

ed mac
07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
i have the miller 375 same as the hobart 400 great machine
for the money shop around cyberweld.com has the miller for $1000.00
and northern tools has the hobart for $1300.00 +tax
and cyberweld has a consumable kit for around $70.00

longevity-inc.com
07-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Hello,

Make sure you get a unit that has less costly consumables so you will save some $$$ down the road.

Also, some of the units overate their cutting capability so I recommend getting the next model up.

Simon

jimcolt
07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I will disagree with the less costly consumables issue......get a system with the longest consumable life. The actual cost of consumables is not the price of the consumables...but the price of the consumables divided by the amount of material cut! It's called operating cost.

Often it is less expensive over time to pay more for a high end system if it produces better quality/higher cut speed and longer consumable life.

Jim

longevity-inc.com
07-08-2008, 02:53 PM
I will disagree with the less costly consumables issue......get a system with the longest consumable life. The actual cost of consumables is not the price of the consumables...but the price of the consumables divided by the amount of material cut! It's called operating cost.

Often it is less expensive over time to pay more for a high end system if it produces better quality/higher cut speed and longer consumable life.

Jim

JIm,

You are right...i should have said overall operating costs.

Simon

Broccoli1
07-09-2008, 11:48 AM
i have the miller 375 same as the hobart 400 great machine
for the money shop around cyberweld.com has the miller for $1000.00
and northern tools has the hobart for $1300.00 +tax
and cyberweld has a consumable kit for around $70.00

Just Shop around Cyberweld :drinkup:

Airforce 400 = $1,106.00
Miller 375 = $1,106.00
Miller 375 Xtreme = $1,192.00
Thermal Dynamics 39 = $999.900

http://store.cyberweld.com/plasmacutters.html

Joe H
07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
:
Thermal Dynamics 39 = $999.900

http://store.cyberweld.com/plasmacutters.html

This is the one to get IMO.

ed mac
07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
and no tax and shipping cost at cyberweld :drinkup:

Me!
07-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Also, look at Hypertherm and some of the sellers on ebay.

jimcolt
07-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Take a look at the Hypertherm Powermax30.....it's a pretty powerful system with incredibly long consumable life compared to most others. You can see it from this link:

http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Products_and_Services/Manual_Plasma/powermax30.jsp

Hypertherm also just released a new 45 Amp plasma....here is a link to check it out.

https://www.hypertherm.com/powerfulplasma/

Jim Colt

Hammack_Welding
07-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Take a look at the Hypertherm Powermax30.....it's a pretty powerful system with incredibly long consumable life compared to most others. You can see it from this link:

http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Products_and_Services/Manual_Plasma/powermax30.jsp

Hypertherm also just released a new 45 Amp plasma....here is a link to check it out.

https://www.hypertherm.com/powerfulplasma/

Jim Colt

I'll second that. I have a powermax 30, and it is a great little unit. That 45 amp is going to be my next purchase.

bdog_v
07-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks for info. guys I guess I am still confused on what I should buy to enable me to cut:

- perfect circles- or can I just use a template?

-Clean cuts- is some sort of spacer needed to keep the tip at the optimal distance for cutting different gauge metals cleanly?

-Are different tips needed to cut different gauge metals or is it same size fits cuts all metal?

-Basically I need some rookie info. for someone who has never used one before,

thanks.....

jimcolt
07-14-2008, 06:38 AM
-There are circle cutting attachments (offered by many manufacturers) that can help you cut round circles...or you can use a template.
-Clean cuts are a function of using the right amperage level and moving the torch at the right speed. Hypertherm invented "shield technology" in the mid 80's....it has a copper shield that protects the nozzle from double arcing to the plate....and allows you to drag the torch directly on the plate...the shield is designed to hold the correct nozzle to workpiece distance. (the correct term is nozzle...not "tip")
-There are a variety of different nozzles available with Hypertherm units....shielded, non shielded, FineCut and gouging nozzles. In order to get the best cut quality you follow the instructions in the manual for the particular material you are cutting. If you just want to cut as fast as possible....just use the highest power setting and the largest nozzle. When you buy a new system...most manufacturers supply a starter kit with all of the different consumables.

Plasma cutting wth thelatest technology machines that are available today...is quite easy. After a few minutes of practice you will be making great cuts!

Jim Colt

Cruizer
07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Well, if you happen to be Canada, I've got a brand new T-dyne 101 up for grabs at $2100. Won't beat that anywhere....