PDA

View Full Version : First Time - MIG

hx101
01-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Ok, go easy on me, this will be my first welding project, I always wanted to try it..... lol

I will be using a gasless, 115V MIG welder to weld some mild 1/8" angle steel into a 41" x 36" frame, that will have some heavy duty casters (5), one at each corner, and one in the middle. To simply move the frame forward and backward (pic attached).

I was looking for some ideas on how to weld the 90* corners. Should I cut at 45* and weld them together?

Also, will a gasless MIG welder make a good enough seam.

Thanks for any tips....

fla jim
01-22-2004, 01:04 PM
hx101;
Welcome to Welding Webb. I don't know what machine you have. But 1/8" is within the capacity of most small machines. If you project is not a critical application where a joint failure will endanger anyone, go for it. For a small welder tite fit up is extremely important, "NO GAPS" . The ability to cut accurate miters are essential. You might be better served to use a "Notched corner joint". Ive enclosed a page from "Welding Fabrication and Repair" from Industrial Press, showing the difference. Measure twice, cut once. Pratice with some scrap, until you feel comfortable starting the project.
Good luck. :waving:

Mike W
01-22-2004, 05:15 PM
I use a modified mitred corner where the outside corner is still square. It is easier to cut. Then when you weld the corner, it gives you a rounded corner.

I use short pieces of stock to clamp each corner with C clamps. Get the frame square and then clamp it down.

OlPilot
01-23-2004, 07:35 PM
To keep things square, you probably need to tack weld the corners and cross pieces first. You might try corner clamps or some of those triangular magnets in the corners to hold things in alignment as you tack. You can find the magnets cheaply enough, even at Franz's favorite store, "Harbor Fright".

Franz
01-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Keep in mind that those magnets from Harbor Flotsum are NOT square, and that magnets will cause one hell of a lot of arcblow on MIG machines.
Since you plan on casters in the corners, tack mounting plates into the corners for both caster mounting and corner reenforcing. Don't forget to check squareness after tacking by measuring diagonally, and SLEDGOMATIC for correction.
This might seem like a silly question, but why the caster in the middle?

Jim314
01-23-2004, 10:20 PM
My Harbor Flotsum magnets are not square???????

So <b><h2>that's</h2></b> what's wrong !!!