08-05-2008, 01:02 PM
For putting anchors in concrete ect;

Who makes the best "corded" one?

Thanks
John

Ries
08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Cant go wrong with Hilti or Bosch.
Certain models of Milwaukee are good too- I have a Milwaukee Hawk right now that I like a lot.
Good ones arent cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5362-6-1-Inch-Capacity-L-Shape/dp/B00004T9QX

http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-22743

http://bosch.cpotools.com/hammers_and_hammer_drills/rotary_and_combination_hammers/sds-plus_hammers/

ed mac
08-05-2008, 02:30 PM
im going with milwaukee 5387-20 toolup.com has the best deals

jamlit
08-05-2008, 03:07 PM
I myself have used just about all the brands going. I myself would only by hilti if I needed a good reliable one to use, but if you only want one for a few and far between holes, then I would look for a cheaper one.

rlitman
08-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I've got several from Bosch, and they're great.
Just keep in mind that while the SDS-Plus units are fantastic at drilling holes, they're really not suited to chipping, even though they're marketed with the ability to do chipping.
If you need LARGE holes, or do a lot of chipping, then go with the SDS-Max or spline, but for anchors, SDS-Plus can't be beat.

BTW, its good advice to stick with the better brands here. All of the good ones, have a safety clutch not found in the Chinese imports, which will prevent them from torquing your arm off if the bit binds.

idacal
08-05-2008, 04:10 PM
rlitman has a point. I watched a guy spit his mouth open and bite through his tongue when one of those cheapees locked up took 8 stitches to fix him back up nothing like drilling a tight out of position hole with no leverage and have a bit lock up.

jamlit
08-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Sorry guys, When I said cheap one, I didn't mean the china stuff.

Get a good proven brand name. You will not regret it.

SonyMobile
08-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Hilti. 'Nuff said.

DDA52
08-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Best bang for the buck is Bosch, hands down. They are tough and last a good long time. HILTI is second to them only because of price and they just are not available everywhere. Milwaukee has not impressed me at all. I have all larger drills and running the Mil 1.5" spline drive vs. the same size Bosch, the Bosch wins every single time. I would take a Makita over the Milwaukee any day. That said, I still own a Mil spline drive.

One of the many hats I wear is that of a concrete dood. Drills are one thing we do NOT skimp on. They get daily use and in extreme conditions. Cheap drills will not last a month with us.FWIW, DeWalt has made great strides of late with their heavy drills. Not quite as good as Bosch or HILTI, but getting there. Way better than the Milwaukee, too. We do go through drills every few years or so. That is why I say that Bosch is the best bang for the buck. HILTI is very good, but at a higher cost. That and when I was talking to HILTI at the time we were getting the last set of drills, Bosch was making several drill motors and guts for HILTI to their specs. I went with Bosch and have been extremely pleased with them.

FWIW, I do also have a Bosch 1 1/8 SDS+. It is also a workhorse. If the majority of holes are in the 3/8-3/4 range, that might be a good one for you. It is smaller and lighter than the SDS-max or spline drives. It will also do light chipping. Good for very small amounts of chipping....anything over a tiny bit, and you will want the bigger drill. It is good to have that ability anyway....just in case ya know.

JOHN1
08-05-2008, 06:28 PM
I am now buying houses and remodeling, so I need a very good unit.

Which models would you consider the best of them all.

John

DDA52
08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
For that type work, a Bosch 1 1/8 SDS would be way more than you'd need. It would last forever for that type work. Home Depot even sells them now. Bits are bunches cheaper, too. Mine has punched tens of thousands of holes...maybe even up to 100,000..no idea since there is no odometer on them.;) If that is too big, the 7/8" SDS would be ok. The Milwaukee small drills with the regular Jacobs chucks on them would be the one I would specifically avoid. We call them screamers....that is how they sound, too. They also turn too fast. When drilling concrete, you want slow rpm's to keep from burning up the carbide bits. Those two Bosch drills have perfect rpms for fast drilling and not burn up the bits. The DeWalt 7/8 isn't that bad either.

fireblaz
08-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Bosch bulldog is one of the best . They take alot of abuse and keep on working i know when you drop one 3 stories and keeps on going its the best .

JOHN1
08-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Just got home from Home Depot and see there is a "Bulldog Extreme" for $239.00, anyone know about this one, guess it is a good one?

John

DDA52
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Bulldog Extreme is a 1" SDS. It'll do just fine.

Rojodiablo
08-05-2008, 09:18 PM

Just got home from Home Depot and see there is a "Bulldog Extreme" for $239.00, anyone know about this one, guess it is a good one?

John

Mine has been very good. I had it serviced, and Bosch just warrantied the service, even though the unit was out by several months at least.

JOHN1
08-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Other than Home Depot, who gives the great deal?

John

Xtreme Fabrication
08-05-2008, 11:30 PM

John

Thats what I got. Used it to do a lot of hardscape work. Its a little guy, but it never gave me a problem.

rlitman
08-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah, the Milwaukee "hammer drills" with the jacobs chucks suck for concrete. That type of drill impacts the bit, just about as much as it hits back on the operator.

If you're drilling concrete, SDS (AKA "rotary hammer")is the only way to go. With these, the bit floats in the chuck, and a hammer in the drill, impacts the bit directly. My Bosch has no uncomfortable vibration at the handle, and large amounts of down-force are unnecessary.

My favorite is the Bosch 11236VS. Its a 1 1/8" capacity, but I've drilled larger holes with core drill bits. Drilling 5/32" holes for tapcons take no more than a second. The longest its taken, was about 8-10 seconds for a 3/4" hole (for a large anchor), through a very old slab of concrete.

Still, remember that while they sell chisels and points for these SDS+ 1 1/8 drills, chipping will kill them, even while they can drill literally millions of holes.

Oh, one more thing.
I got my first one new, and while the instructions mentioned a break-in period, I had no idea that I was in for over an hour of a barely turning, but ominously SMOKING drill.
Yeah, smoking. These SDS drills work with a grease packed pneumatic hammer inside, and the first few hours of use can get it hot enough to smoke the oil on the outside of the gearbox. That, and from then on, they start out a little weak, until warmed up. Nothing to be worried about, that's all I'm saying.

tapwelder
08-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I have a couple of hitachi drills. One 7/8" and one 1-1/2". They have never let me down.

drivethruboy54
08-06-2008, 12:12 AM
i vote for bosch, they go forever

JOHN1
08-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Will the SDS-PLus Bulldog Extreme do for getting up ceramic tile on a regular basis or should I go to a different model, keeping in mind drilling anchors in still plates are 50% and chipping is 50%?

Thanks Again
John

DDA52
08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Will it do it? Yes, it will. It is more a matter of how long will it last, though. The drilling part is not an issue, its the chipping. Chipping will be the hardest on it. A heavier model would be better. You could try it and see, but if you want to play it safe, heavier would be better.

This is the upgraded model from the one I have.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100609423&N=10000003+90401+502605

It will hold up to a lot more chipping than the Bulldog. It also will drill and hammer. The three function works great. I got a standard chuck for mine and use it often..just to keep from hauling several drills around.

JOHN1
08-06-2008, 08:30 PM
BELIEVE IT OR NOT

I took back the Bosch Bulldog Extreme to Home depot which I had paid $239.00 with no extended warranty.

Was looking for the Bosch 1 1/8 (11236VS) as DA suggested as it is a heavier unit, but none to be found in the tool dept.

I asked the desk and come to find out the 4 they had were on the clearance shelf.

I bought the Bosch 1 1/8 SDS (11236vs) fo the same price I had paid for the "Bulldog"
$239.00. I also bought the additional 1 year replacement warranty, which I never do, for 29.00.

Sounded like a good deal to me.

Yes, these were new units and still had the security tag they have to remove at the desk.

Guy told me apparently they were phasing out this model at Home Depot.

Any thoughts, guess I got a deal!!

Thanks to All

John

Jolly Roger
08-06-2008, 10:27 PM

John

We use a Bulldog Extreme. The only thing that might be able to beat it is a Hilti and those things are hidolla. When I worked construction I never saw anything but the big Hilti's. The Bulldog it replaced was 10 years old and only got replaced because it got wet and our pet troll tried to use it any way. It died and the troll is long gone.

I also have a Bosch about half the size of the bulldog (non-sds) for smaller stuff and it is a very good drill (I bought it used for 25 off of a guy in a bind). I use a 3/8s Hitachi for brick and cinderblock. It's punched a lot of holes the last 3 years and just keeps punching them.

JOHN1
08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I put the chisel bit in as per the instructions and turn the knob to hammer some tile but the motor just vibrates, any suggestions? Something really simple and stupid, but what?

John

DDA52
08-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Sounds like you got a deal. Cool.:cool2:

The bit needs to be in contact before anything happens. Also make sure the dial on the side of the handle is turned up to max for chiseling.

kmaysob
08-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I put the chisel bit in as per the instructions and turn the knob to hammer some tile but the motor just vibrates, any suggestions? Something really simple and stupid, but what?

John

make sure you have it in ALL the way. i work on them and once in a while i manage to not get the bit in quite right.

rlitman
08-07-2008, 01:07 AM

John

Did you grease the bit?
In an SDS drill, the bit needs to float in the chuck, in the same way that a chisel floats in a jackhammer. New chucks can be dry, and the bit can get stuck, without being all the way in, and never make contact with the hammer.
You should grease (or use a heavy oil, but that gets everywhere) bits, every time you put one in.
Its also a good idea to wipe the bits clean every time you remove them. Any dirt that gets into the chuck, will shorten its life. Keep your bits clean, and well lubricated, and it will last nearly forever. This is especially true for chisels, as they exert more side forces on the chuck, and can wear it out faster.

TxDoc
08-10-2008, 08:38 PM
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/hdc.nsf/vwProductComparison/32E588C37D8AEBC386256E51006A6078/$FILE/5314-5321CHT.pdf

And, Milwaukeetool guarantees ALL their tools for five (5) years. No one else does.

Good luck on your search.