PDA

View Full Version : F 450

deadman1474
08-31-2008, 11:43 PM
I need a bigger truck working with my dad doing all of the grunt work and moveing everything. And moveing protypes and machines all day my truck pulls a overloaded trailer all day and the trans dosen't like it. I am looking at geting a company truck and was wondering what kind of luck you guys have had with the ford super dutys. It is being considered to get a 2008 f450 with a 6.4 power stroke, 6 speed manual, 4.30 limited slip rear end. And the 4*4 off road package.

Now a couple of questions

Is this the truck you your recomend?

Should I get the coil spring or leaf spring front end?

Would traction control help, hinder, or just not effect towing performance?

If anyone has driven one of these or owns one can you chime in. I plan on loading it and constantly pulling a goose neck trailer loaded pretty heavy.

Cruizer
08-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Better off trying to find a 2003 with aa 7.3 in a 350 or 450 super duty package than going with the fuel aholic 6.4 lemon. Best milage, best towing and hauling capacity than any truck on the market.

h2oboy
09-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Better off trying to find a 2003 with aa 7.3 in a 350 or 450 super duty package than going with the fuel aholic 6.4 lemon. Best milage, best towing and hauling capacity than any truck on the market.

2002 Was the last year for the 7.3??????
I am in the same boat and looking for a 450-550 truck. You might pay more for a 90's to 2002, then for a 2003-04, but the 7.3 is a great motor.
We have a 99 F450 V10 Flatbed, fairly good truck but here in CA it requires a DOT physical card, and log books with the driver if we register it above 10K, but it is a comercial truck. Check with your local DMV to see if your state to see if they require you to jump through hoops.

BNF
09-01-2008, 10:36 AM
This kinda relates, but then it kinda doesn't....I vowed to never own a 6.0 powerstroke after taking my buddy to the stealership to check status on his truck and seeing the crew cab separated from the frame and about 6' above the chassis on a 2-post lift. All this to install injectors. This was a year old truck with less than 10k miles on it at the time. That's not a repair I wanna tackle in my shop. I do not know about the newer 6.4, but seeing what it took to service the 6.0, I'll always shop for a 7.3 in the Ford lineup.

RJ Lindblom
09-02-2008, 01:03 AM
This kinda relates, but then it kinda doesn't....I vowed to never own a 6.0 powerstroke after taking my buddy to the stealership to check status on his truck and seeing the crew cab separated from the frame and about 6' above the chassis on a 2-post lift. All this to install injectors. This was a year old truck with less than 10k miles on it at the time. That's not a repair I wanna tackle in my shop. I do not know about the newer 6.4, but seeing what it took to service the 6.0, I'll always shop for a 7.3 in the Ford lineup.

Its quicker to lift the cab and front clip off than to remove panels to gain access.

I agree with getting a 7.3 diesel.

84zmike
09-02-2008, 11:10 PM
The 6.4 gets piss poor mileage....ford has allowed addition of the EDGE to help with fuel mileage....but then it's still a Ford :). How much weight are you pulling ? The F650s and 750's can be had with Cats and Cummins but they have very small cabs.....and again the fuel mileage sucks. I drive a 2008 3500 DRW utility bed Dmax and love the power it has....also I am getting right at 13.4 on the hwy @ 75 MPH and a worst of around 11 idling around on site all day with the A/C on and stop and go driving..... this is fully loaded with my tools, torch tanks sticking up and a happy right foot at times.

Xtreme Fabrication
09-02-2008, 11:20 PM
84zmike I bet you didn't know but the cab for a F-650/750 is the same cab as fords F-250-550. Regardless whether its a reg, super, or crew cab.

Personally man. I have install 250+ snow plows on trucks. I have installed them on everything under the sun. So I have spent some time under and in these trucks. I am a die hard ford man. But I would get a chevy 4500 with the duramax before I ever got another F-450 with a 6.4. The 4500/5500 are built some much heavier duty that the F450/550. Turn better, and way better 4x4 versions etc. My next pickup will be a 2500hd duramax. Everything I currently own is a 7.3 ford. My pickup, and dump truck. I swear by that motor. But if you want used, get old F-450/550 7.3 New, buy a chevy gmc.

\\NV.Welding//
09-03-2008, 09:32 PM
2002 Was the last year for the 7.3??????

they made them in 03 for the first half of the year too

JeffB
09-07-2008, 08:35 AM
One of our service trucks is an '04 F-450 Super Duty diesel dually. The door tag rates the GVWR at 16,000. I'm not sure if it's a New York thing or a national thing, but the rules just changed recently and now it needs a "Heavy Truck" inspection on the bumper rather than the windsheild inspection it had before this year.

Dualie
09-21-2008, 09:16 PM
if your looking to go new I would look at the Dodge 4500/Sterling bullet. And this is coming from a DIE HARD FORD MAN.

Here in CA even the newer F-350 towboss trucks have a GVW over 10,000 lbs are now required to use scale houses and display a CA# and company name.

for a couple of more bucks I would get a TRUE MDT if your really working it like a truck. I'm partial to the International 4300 trucks with the DT466/570

I HAD a 2008 F-450 king ranch to pull my horse trailer. I put 30,000 miles on it and best tank I averaged bobtailing was 13.6 MPG. The lifetime average for it while I owned it was 9.8 the worst tank was 6.6mpg Ford refused to lemon law the thing back because it was a "commercial vehicle" and wasn't subject to lemon law statutes.

Putting any sort of aftermarket box or tuner on your truck WILL without a doubt void your warranty. if they catch or even suspect you using a tuner or box they will put you in the computer and your warranty will be voided. this started way back when with all the blown up 6.0L's ford was looking for any and all excuses to deny coverage.

Your service writer may say otherwise but its not their call when it really blows up. ford can does and will send a field rep out to look at major warranty claims. their whole task in life is to find a reason to deny coverage on warranty issues.

IT pulled like a freight train when I was not ridding a wrecker or at the fuel station. Had NOTHING but problems with the EGR and DPF systems.

IM SOOOOOOO glad I kept my 2000 7.3L f-350 DRW CC LB that gets a solid 18mpg with a now lifetime average of a shade over 16mpg with 328,000 Miles it still drives like new with minimal maintenance.

and to answer your questions from the first post I don't believe traction control is offered in the 550's but I could be wrong.

The only option in new superdutys is coil sprung front end 2x4 or 4x4 2004 was the last year for leaf springs in the 4x4's and all 450's and 550's

I would avoid the 6 spd the torqueshift was the only good thing about the switch to 6.0L back in 03 and still is with the new motors. The six speed is prone to clutch master cylinder failures and I have seen more than one that broke input shafts.

the later Ford 6.0L diesels 06-07 are better than the 03-05's which were very problem prone. You couldn't give me an 03-04 6.0L

MoroneysWelding
10-16-2008, 12:42 AM
IF I were in the market for a new rig I would def!!!! go with the Chevy 4500 Quad Cab Diesel with no bed. Then I would just build a nice platform for it. GM has had far fewer problems with that line of HD trucks then for has had with the 450/550's. But then again I wouldn't buy a FORD with someone Else's money.

FabItUp
10-16-2008, 02:09 AM
I use a 350 7.3 super cab my self. I haul tons and the gooseneck is never off of the truck. Its a 2002. I love the truck.

With the price of diesel thru the roof, I only use it for the big hauls.

Just my .02 worth.

There are some good incentives for the companies to sell the NEW big/medium sized trucks today. But if it were my money, I would find a low milage older truck that has been well maintained.

You should be able to find a nice one for under 20, no body wants them for driving,and I see more and more companies selling out everyday.

Bill

84zmike
11-29-2008, 06:55 PM
84zmike I bet you didn't know but the cab for a F-650/750 is the same cab as fords F-250-550. Regardless whether its a reg, super, or crew cab......

What kind of crack are you smoking....... there is no way the F450 has the same cab as the F650....the F250 - F550 is the same....the F650 and F750 are the same

lugweld
11-29-2008, 07:02 PM
A 450 falls under some of the commercial classification of vehicles, mandating a CDL, logbook and health card be maintained, depending upon individual GVW. You might want to consider that in purchasing that vehicle. 350's may fall into that category as well depending on your state, but USDOT only requires a health card to operate most 350's.

Cruizer
11-29-2008, 07:08 PM
they made them in 03 for the first half of the year too

Mine is a 2003 with the 7.3 date code is March 03. Best truck I have ever owned, other than it's apparently easy to steal

Dualie
12-03-2008, 10:14 PM
What kind of crack are you smoking....... there is no way the F450 has the same cab as the F650....the F250 - F550 is the same....the F650 and F750 are the same

UM actually if you have ever been in one they are the EXACT same CAB. My F-800 actually has a drivers side door off of an F-150 that I got from the local wrecking yard.

Until 1997 the cabs were exactly the same from the F-150 to the F-800 then when they came out with the 97 F-150 the 250/350 AND F-superduty (F-450) shared the current model year cab with all of the F-650/750's

IN 1999 they changed to the new superduty cab's in both the 250/350/450/550 AND the 650/750

The Chevy 4500/5500 is actually the Chevy VAN CAB cleverly disguised. YES THATS RIGHT THE VAN CAB. if you have any doubts look at the door handles on the front door of the Chevy vans and the 4500's then compare the dashboards.

after watching my good friends $70,000+ 5500 horse trailer puller take the ride to the Chevy dealer twice in 15,500 miles on the back of a wrecker. Their not that reliable either.

AS DIE HARD of a ford fan as I am if the truck got rolled tomorrow it would have to be replaced with a dodge.

Dualie
12-03-2008, 10:20 PM
A 450 falls under some of the commercial classification of vehicles, mandating a CDL, logbook and health card be maintained, depending upon individual GVW. You might want to consider that in purchasing that vehicle. 350's may fall into that category as well depending on your state, but USDOT only requires a health card to operate most 350's.

AND this is NOT TRUE If your using it for personal use...

If it is registered to a commercial enterprise then you will at min need a Medical card.

Their are circumstances That you can make an F-450 or even a 350 fall into the CDL range.

if the vehicle is over 26K GVW you WILL Need a Class B CDL if you never plan to pull a trailer.

IF you are pulling ANY Trailer with a GVW OVER 10,000LBS you will need a class A CDL.

If you are pulling a trailer and the GVW of the truck AND the GVW of the trailer combined are greater than 26,000 you will need a CDL. If the trucks GVW is 17,000 lbs and the trailers GVW is 9,500 LBS you still need a CDL to drive this combination.

mark8310
12-03-2008, 10:58 PM
And the rules are different, depending on whether you are in-state, or crossing state lines. If you are required to have a DOT number (anything over 10,000 pounds, that is NOT a pickup or pulling a commercial trailer), you better have a med certificate.

84zmike
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
At one time ford may have used the same cab on the f450s f800s etc....I am talking about new.... so I will say it again....no way in hell are they the same cab...... as for the Chevy jab..... look at all the 2008 and up diesel trucks....Dodge has issues with crap building up in the turbo and the dealers fix is to drill a hole in it so the tecks can spray a cleaner into it...... Ford suck fuel about as fast as you can put it into the tank.....the Dmax has the emissions stuff figured out and giving the best HP/torque numbers, and fuel mileage....the Dodge is easier to remove the emissions stuff but strip a Dmax of the emissions stuff and look out power house..... anyway.... as to the DOT stuff check your local laws...here a F450/C4500 etc doesn't require them..... but my bosses 2500 once you hook up to our 10 ton 5th wheel trailer you must have a CDL.....if the OP needs a bigger truck my advise would be to look at used....yes the Kodiak is more $ but look at a chassis cab C4500 next to a F450 chassis cab....the frame alone should sell it for ya........

lugweld
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
If you are using it to weld, that is not personal use. It is considered business use. I have been there and done all that, read the regulations, talked to the USDOT etc. They are very clear about having to have a med card. If you cross state lines, then you have to have a USDOT number and if you don't depending upon where you live, you have to have a state DOT number that is only good for in state travel.

Dualie
12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
At one time ford may have used the same cab on the f450s f800s etc....I am talking about new.... so I will say it again....no way in hell are they the same cab...... as for the Chevy jab..... look at all the 2008 and up diesel trucks....Dodge has issues with crap building up in the turbo and the dealers fix is to drill a hole in it so the tecks can spray a cleaner into it...... Ford suck fuel about as fast as you can put it into the tank.....the Dmax has the emissions stuff figured out and giving the best HP/torque numbers, and fuel mileage....the Dodge is easier to remove the emissions stuff but strip a Dmax of the emissions stuff and look out power house..... anyway.... as to the DOT stuff check your local laws...here a F450/C4500 etc doesn't require them..... but my bosses 2500 once you hook up to our 10 ton 5th wheel trailer you must have a CDL.....if the OP needs a bigger truck my advise would be to look at used....yes the Kodiak is more $ but look at a chassis cab C4500 next to a F450 chassis cab....the frame alone should sell it for ya........

NEW IS THE SAME CAB! THE F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550, F-650 and F-750 USE THE SAME CABS!

the cab structure is the same throughout the model line! The doors, windshields, and many other cab parts interchange freely! They trim the firewall for a doghouse in the 650+ trucks but the basic cab structure is the same.

Chevy uses the van cab parts for the kodiaks. My only beef with the 4500 trucks is that with the added height and weight you don't get any more bang for your buck than with a much more civilized F-450.

84zmike
12-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Now I see what you are saying....stripped cab only....when you are talking medium duty truck and say cab I think chassis cab as in complete cabs fenders etc..... I agree if you only need a F450/4500 size truck the Kodiak can be a bit much...but if you are over taxing a F350 /3500 then a F450 isn't really that much more of a truck...... going up to a 4500 or even a 5500 seems like it would be a better idea.....

mark8310
12-05-2008, 07:43 PM
And all other things being equal, if I had a choice between a newer class 3 or 4 truck, and an older class 5 truck,,,,,, I'd just go for the older one. Plenty of old IHC 1900's and 4900's still out there,,,,,,, for the money, you won't find a better deal..... But if it has to go into California,,,,,,, or for whatever reason, conform to California diesel rules,,,,,, no go. Just wait a year or two, I guarantee you, there will be plenty of trucks coming out of cal, perfectly good, for just over scrap value. For the weight capacity, trailer handling ability, and low cost of maintenance (especially if air brakes), can't be beat.

Dualie
12-07-2008, 03:08 AM
while I agree with the last poster about the used 4300 trucks. Don't buy one if you think every turbo diesel is fast and powerful. You will be severely disappointed by the performance. You can turn them up but the same engines that they have in the pickups don't last long in an MDT at higher HP levels.

Most of the older MDT class4,5,6 trucks were utterly underpowered. 215 Hp isn't much power to move 20,000lbs down the highway. Also most MDT's were gear bound to around 63MPH and they ran outta legs and don't really have the HP to pull a taller gear.

One more notable fact is that the 2003+ ford 650's and 750's are actually built by INTERNATIONAL trucks under their blue diamond partnership with FoMoCo. Everything but the cabs, engines, and transmissions are International. the suspension, frames, brakes, and all other chassis hardware are the same between the fords and the internationals.

I also thought about this while I was typing, back in YE oldern day the world was practically built with half ton trucks. IF you had a one ton you were locked and loaded for some serious work! The next step was a hydraulic braked Medium duty and even then it wasn't for weight as much as it was if you needed to haul more product and just needed the space.

Next was a class 8 semi truck.

I'm surmising that MOST people that have F-450 work trucks could really get by just fine and dandy with an F-350. with the vantage 500 I would be way over weight with an F-350 but if I could get by using a 305 A F-350 would work great.

eyeball engineer
12-07-2008, 08:02 PM
can you get a 450 with a cummins? the 7.4's were ok but the 6.0 and 6.6 or whatever the new one is are junk in my opinion. make sure whatever you get it's not a blue diamond ford, they're problematic. my 2cents if your set on ford

Litzy007
12-18-2008, 06:37 AM
can you get a 450 with a cummins? the 7.4's were ok but the 6.0 and 6.6 or whatever the new one is are junk in my opinion. make sure whatever you get it's not a blue diamond ford, they're problematic. my 2cents if your set on ford

You have to step up to a 650 or 750 to choose your engine. All of these are emission compliant(new models).

And it was 7.3 liter then the 6.0 liter then the 6.4. The changes to these engines are constant. For the 6.0 liter there are 3 different revisions alone within 5 years. These change are mainly within the intake and high pressure oil system. There are constant changes to all the engine from each builders.

If you want a Cummins in a 450 it is not that hard, and there are lots of places that can do that for you. With the weight of all diesel engines you have to basically have a least a 3/4 ton. There are the exception where you put a 4 cylinder into a lighter chassis, but the sky is the limit as to what you want to do.

Sorry to much free time and to many years pullin wrenches.

metricwrench
12-18-2008, 02:04 PM
For a strong working truck, look for a 6.0 L bad engine, pull that out & put a Cummins with an Allison, bolt on kit are out for that. 6.0L don't have much milage, they were in the shop most of the time, then you got a trouble free truck.
wrench