PDA

View Full Version : Plasma cutter questions

Corvus corax
03-18-2005, 09:45 PM
I was recently introduced to a Lincoln Pro Cut 55 plasma, and really liked to machine overall. I hadn't really thought much about owning one before this, but I can now definately see having one in my workshop. Question is, why are the cutting capacities so different between the Miller and Lincoln machines? Miller seems to have the edge on capacity, but I'm still undecided on the machine I should be looking for. Right now, it looks as if the Miller 375 or 625 is my first choice, with the Lincoln PC 55 second. I need to be able to cut 1/2 inch aluminum maximum, mostly I'll be doing much thinner material, but extra capacity is always a good thing. Pilot arc start is a must. My budget is probably going to be $1500-2000, but I'm getting my welder first, for obvious reasons. Any other brands/machines I should be looking at?

PAToyota
03-19-2005, 01:42 PM
I'd recommend checking out Hypertherm. I have an older 1100 (new model is the 1250, I think) and am pretty pleased with it. The consumables for it seem to be cheaper than those for the Miller and Lincoln. A number of the people I talked to before buying mine pretty much said that a search for a plasma cutter begins and ends with Hypertherm.

smawgmaw
03-20-2005, 02:36 AM
Also check out the units HTP has to offer. Good selection, reasonable prices compared to the larger companies, and great customer service. Dont own one of their plasma units, but do own a multiprocess machine from them. Havent had any problems with it but when I had questions they were answered personally by the owner/president of the company! Delivery time quotes are also right on!