PDA

View Full Version : truck rack

mrmikey
11-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Made four of these a work and just finished the last one Friday so i figured I'd post a pic. Pics are from a phone so they're a bit fuzzy.
Made to fit onto the sides of a 3/4 ton box for our road crews so it's made from 2 x 2 x 3/16 tubing as they get beat up quite bad. Holes are for galvanizing.
The piece over the cab holds the amber strobe on the front as well as the two vertical tubes hold an arrowboard that is made to be lowered with an electric actuator.
As per usual, no drawings just "Make me 4 racks, you know what we want" Good thing about that kind of instruction, it can't be wrong as they don't have any plans :)......Mike

farmersamm
11-15-2008, 12:30 PM
The expanded metal turned out beautifully. You sure did a nice job of building, and holding it square for the frame to fit that perfectly around the window opening.

duaneb55
11-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Nice job! Does the angle on the back stay or is it just there to keep everything in place until the rack is installed? How many hours to build - on the average?

mrmikey
11-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Does the angle on the back stay or is it just there to keep everything in place until the rack is installed?
Temporary, the outfit that galvanizes them are savage. If that wasn't there chances are they would come back looking like a pretzel, still might actually.

How many hours to build - on the average?
Building four it took 32 hours apiece, that's including measuring the truck, ordering the material and most time consuming, figuring out the geometry of the **&^&&* actuator to lift the arrowboard.
If I had to build another lot of four I'd imagine I could get it down to probably 26, give or take....Mike

duaneb55
11-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Temporary, the outfit that galvanizes them are savage. If that wasn't there chances are they would come back looking like a pretzel, still might actually.

Know what you mean about galvanizers so I guess it's the same the world around. Amazing what they can destroy or damage. Must be a result of the fumes.:dizzy:

Tractapac
11-15-2008, 05:44 PM
That looks very functional with a pleasing line to it. I was looking at some car ramps I made about 20 years ago and had galvanised and there's not a sign of rust on them yet and they've been all over the place and not been particularly well looked after. I reckon galvanising's about the most cost effective coating where it's applicable. As you say though, you've got to make them "idiot-proof" if you want them back the way you sent them in.

mrmikey
12-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Got 'em back the other day, body shop got them mounted and wired....Mike

duaneb55
12-12-2008, 08:42 PM
There ya go! Looks great mrmikey. Again, very nice job.:drinkup::drinkup:

OMS
12-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Good looking well made addition to the vehicle. :cool:

Bruce
12-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Nice work mrmike

mrmikey
12-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys....Mike

KAC
12-14-2008, 04:39 PM
I take it you work for DOT..Miller Lake?

mrmikey
12-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Yep, for 20 years....know the place?.....Mike

farmersamm
12-14-2008, 08:20 PM
I think the galv. looks better than paint on this kind of deal.

I'd almost bet the light bar, and hydraulics cost near as much as the steel:)

The drain holes are nice too. I'd probably make the thing, and have to go back and drill 'em because I didn't think of 'em when I made it:D

mrmikey
12-14-2008, 10:24 PM
I think the galv. looks better than paint on this kind of deal.
Same here, as well it's cheaper, there's no sandblasting involved and it's protected inside and out. Gives better protection for any scratches or gouges as well. I call it a poor mans chrome.

I'd almost bet the light bar, and hydraulics cost near as much as the steel
Not sure on the price of the arrowboard but I think it's over a grand with the controller. Roof strobe is around $250, rear strobes in each corner $35 each, gutter lights are $30 each. The actuator is actually mechanical, no hydraulics involved and it's $275. Neet unit actually can output 250 lbs force and has a build in safety clutch.

The drain holes are nice too. I'd probably make the thing, and have to go back and drill 'em because I didn't think of 'em when I made
The holes aren't for water, they're drain holes yes, for the dipping to allow the pickling solution as well as the molten zinc to escape. If you don't drill them the savages at the dippers will burn them in with a torch and by the way they look it's using a number 10 tip, a dirty one at that :-). Either that or a hammer and punch.
Not only that but any enclosed area has to be vented to prevent a pressure buildup when you submerge it in the molten zinc....Mike

NOMADMAD
12-14-2008, 11:35 PM
that a rack that looks like will last longer than the truck. nice craftsmanship.

AKweldshop
12-04-2014, 04:14 AM
Very nice mate.:)

Sparkie1957
12-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Great job Mikey, that brings back memories. I retired after 32 years on the state DOT here in Illinois. We had lots of gifted welders and fabricators that could make or modify equipment to fit our needs. Keep up the good work and be safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

Murphy's law
12-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Looks really really good!!!!