PDA

View Full Version : It Goes To Work Tomorrow

farmersamm
11-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Paint cured, fully assembled, hydraulics in place. Off to the pasture tomorrow.

Rest of today devoted to sippin' some suds, and admirin' it, before it meets its first cedar tree. Might as well enjoy the ORANGE:eek: paint before it gets knocked off:laugh::laugh:

4shorts
11-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Man it sure looks good though. To bad you got to scratch it :cry:

Oldtimer
11-16-2008, 06:28 PM
You are getting to be a professional pitcher taker with that artsy, f--tsy first picture. :laugh: :laugh: All kidding aside, that is a good looking rig. I want to see pictures of it in action.

OMS
11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
farmersamm,

I am by no means a farmer; hell just found out a while back that a corn stock only yields one ear. Anyhow, I do have a mechanical mind so to speak and I have seen the three point hitch set up on small to large tractors.

I guess what I'm asking is... isn't your project a tremendous mechanical disadvantage to the 3 point hitch system empty let alone loaded? Or am I missing something.

Sure looks like a burden for the 3-point.

gordon stephenson
11-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi,
Nice one farmersamm, Give it hell and let's see it in action,

Cheers, Gordon

STwelder
11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Nice job Farmersamm! I hope it does for you what you want it to.
Show a couple pics of it in action/destruction.

farmersamm
11-16-2008, 08:08 PM
You are getting to be a professional pitcher taker with that artsy, f--tsy first picture. :laugh: :laugh: All kidding aside, that is a good looking rig. I want to see pictures of it in action.

Sun went down, too doggone cold to be outside:D

If I recollect, the artsy hit around the 2nd Bud, and the fartsy kicked in around the 3rd. :D:D:drinkup::drinkup:

Hopin' it measures up. Lot of high dollar iron danglin' on back of the tractor.:)

littlefuzz
11-16-2008, 08:18 PM
I agree, we need action pics. Looks good

farmersamm
11-16-2008, 08:31 PM
farmersamm,

I am by no means a farmer; hell just found out a while back that a corn stock only yields one ear. Anyhow, I do have a mechanical mind so to speak and I have seen the three point hitch set up on small to large tractors.

I guess what I'm asking is... isn't your project a tremendous mechanical disadvantage to the 3 point hitch system empty let alone loaded? Or am I missing something.

Sure looks like a burden for the 3-point.

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY. It's meant to push trees while keepin' them at arms length. Not act as a loader.

A tractor this size weighs around 10,000 give or take. Depending on ballast, and accessory weights. Weight distribution is generally 70/30, with the 70 on the rear. Three point capacity is around 4000lbs. with the load centered close to the hitch. Capacity decreases the further the load is from the hitch.

I would imagine, or actually planned for, load weight no more than 5 or 600 lbs. while actually lifting.

Generally larger trees in the 20 foot range are pushed as close together as possible, and compressed. Smaller trees are piled on top to act as fuel for an updraft. The heat is incredible, and dangerous as hell. A good sized cedar pile will create its own wind. By good sized, I mean one about 20-30 feet wide, and as much as 60 feet long. The wood is stacked to take advantage of the prevailing South winds we have here. It is dangerous, and I can't emphasize that enough. Conditions have to be right before any sane person even considers puttin' a match to it. Drizzle, early morning dew with a forecast of clouds or rain, or snow that covers the surrounding pasture.

Bucking trees is different from lifting them. By bucking I mean pushing until the pile is reached, then lifting as the pile is encountered. The pile actually supports the weight of the tree being pushed. It's not totally lifted by the tractor. It's sorta pushed uphill.

The articulated feature is meant strictly for smaller trees that you may not be able to back out from under. The tree can get hung up, and it takes gravity to break it loose from the implement. In addition, the articulation is good for scootin' trees up.

All in all, it's a stop gap solution for lighter than reccomended equipment doing heavy equipment work.

Southern Engineerin' at its best:D:drinkup:

boatbuoy
11-16-2008, 09:32 PM
a hydraulic top link will give even more flexibilty for angle of attack. i just finished doing clutches ( engine,power booster and pto ) and brakes on an oliver 1967 rowcrop diesel very similar in appearance to yours.

Mondo
11-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Let's see if I got this right:
You are going to use that to push piles of felled cedars into a bon fire?
If that is correct is there no other use for the cedar? Like run it through a chipper and sell cedar chips in cotton bags as closet aromatics. Keeps moths out of the clothes.
You need a wife to sew up the bags! :laugh:

-Mondo

duaneb55
11-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Great looking piece Sam.:drinkup: It looks as though the counterweight thing turned out to be a lot less of an issue than originally thought. At the most you may just have to locate those weights that are somewhere in the weeds.:D

Great job!!!:drinkup::drinkup:

farmersamm
11-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Let's see if I got this right:
You are going to use that to push piles of felled cedars into a bon fire?
If that is correct is there no other use for the cedar? Like run it through a chipper and sell cedar chips in cotton bags as closet aromatics. Keeps moths out of the clothes.
You need a wife to sew up the bags! :laugh:

-Mondo

Oh no. The cedars are piled before being burned. No real use for 'em around here. They're a pest, like jack oak.

specter
11-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Here's how I clear trees on my farm I use my Ford New Holland 345D with the front bucket edge as sharp as a razor. The tractor wheels front and back have weights in addition to the calcium cloride in each tire. Total weight 15,890lbs and in 4 wheel drive it really clears a nice atv trail. It also great at takingdown larger trees by putting the bucket up against a tree as high as the bucket will go then simply bring the bucket down against the tree while slowing moving forward. If that doesn work I also have a Ford New Holland 555E ext a hoe backhoe! With that you simply dig out the tree.

OMS
11-16-2008, 11:01 PM
farmersamm,

Thanks for the enlightenment concerning Bucking trees (without the use of a chainsaw:D). Only see tractors plowing, planting, bailing or bush-hogging around my rural homestead. Do know of one guy with forks on a loader bucket that pushes small piles of dead and down on his cattle farm from time to time. Have not seen any tractors with the set up you have, and if I did good chance it would be a dealer bought item.

I’ll bet it operates as impressive as it looks.

Nice work.

farmersamm
11-16-2008, 11:14 PM
I wish I had something that heavy.

The way we do it, or I guess I do it, is to have a guy with a skid loader mounted shear cut the tree, snag it with the grapple posted a long time ago, then push the stinkin' mess into a pile.

I'm hoping to be able to keep a pace of about 12-maybe 18 trees per hour. I'm probably dreamin'.:D

If this darn thing does around 800 cycles, it's payed for itself, and it'll sit in a corner of the yard until they have my estate sale. Two places to clear. About 320 acres. Not the whole 320, but a good part of it. And I'm gonna be lookin' over my shoulder the whole time. :(

Shoestring farmin' man:D

farmersamm
11-16-2008, 11:18 PM
farmersamm,

Thanks for the enlightenment concerning Bucking trees (without the use of a chainsaw:D). Only see tractors plowing, planting, bailing or bush-hogging around my rural homestead. Do know of one guy with forks on a loader bucket that pushes small piles of dead and down on his cattle farm from time to time. Have not seen any tractors with the set up you have, and if I did good chance it would be a dealer bought item.

I’ll bet it operates as impressive as it looks.

Nice work.

Sorry, previous post meant for Specter.

I hope it works, have a lot riding on it. Thanks:)

welderShane
11-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Very nice samm!!! Hate to see it get scratched

Knotbored
11-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Get one of those wide wrap-around mirrors made for a car. You will be spending too much time at the chiropractor if you look over your shoulder all day.

specter
11-17-2008, 12:18 PM
I must admit when I 1st saw that setup on the tractor of yours I though maybe it was a unique way of picking up those large bales of hay.

Tractapac
11-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Looking good Farmersamm. The first scratch you notice is the hardest, they get easier after that. Be good to see some shots of the cedars in all stages of their demise.

Does you three point have down force or only lift like most have?

Best of luck!