PDA

View Full Version : A couple of accessories for the smoker

Oldtimer
11-25-2008, 05:47 PM
I decided to build an ash scoop that was curved to fit the bottom of the fire box. I dug thru the scrap cans and came up with a little 14 ga. plate, a piece of 5/16" rod, a piece of 3/4" thinwall conduit, and two 5/16" flat washers. A few minutes with the DeWalt jigsaw and several more minutes with the Victor torch and I came up with this. The handle isn't welded on crooked. It is angled up from the scoop so it looks funny in the picture.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h26/arrowhead_2006/scoop001.jpg

A close up of the weld on the scoop. No filler metal used on this side. The other side took a little bit of mechanic's wire to finish up. Remember I'm way over the hill when you look at this.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h26/arrowhead_2006/scoop002.jpg

I also made a poker for the firebox. A piece of copper coated ground rod, a little hi-carbon acetylene rod, a piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe, and a little piece of galvanized strap. This was fun to weld together with the torch.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h26/arrowhead_2006/scoop003.jpg

Tractapac
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Remember I'm way over the hill when you look at this.

Your welding in no way reflects that comment!

In fact, the whole project has been very interesting to follow, so interesting that I'm keeping my eyes open in search of some large bore pipe.

What do they say? "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I'd be rapt if I could turn out anything that remotely resembles your quality of work. The only thing that hints at age is the way these things have been built "properly" which suggests experience form a time when that was the practice.

farmersamm
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm still climbin' the hill, and I ain't that good now, and I ain't gonna get any better.

So when is the official firin' up??? Smoked turkey maybe??

tapwelder
11-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Nice work. It is fun to push that puddle, once in a while. I thought you said you had shakey hands, I can't tell.

Oldtimer
11-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Well, thanks for the compliments. When you start loosing your skills because of age it----------,well, it sucks. Bigtime. Now I have to really work to do things that I didn't give a thought to several years ago. My hands weren't too bad yesterday although I had to keep my elbow squeezed against my ribs to be steady. Some days I can't write my name where you can read it. I did this with the torch just to be a little different for a change.

We fired up the smoker last Saturday to burn out any bad stuff and see if it would operate correctly. It worked just like I planned it. We gathered up some mesquite wood and the son-in-law says he is going to fire it up this afternoon and do a couple of briskets. I'll let you know how it turns out.

According to the boss I'm going to build a turkey and ham cooker so I guess that is my next project. I also have some 16" OD- 3/8" wall pipe and I'm thinking about a gas fired verticle smoker. It would be less trouble for an old fart like me to use.