PDA

View Full Version : Mud flap repair

captdave2612
12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I wish drivers would stop tearing off mud flaps. These pics don't do justice to how bad it was. I was going to buy the bracket from a dealer but it was over 100.00 :realmad: so I just fabed one up. Not much welding but it was a small project.

captdave2612
12-03-2008, 05:45 PM
It turned out ok. I heated and straitend out the frame, welded and ground the cracks or should I say rips. :angry: tacked it becuase no help to hold it up, then drilled the holes. A little primer and paint and wala good as new.

captdave2612
12-03-2008, 05:49 PM
The weld needs improvment I'm not a very small guy and that is very little room to work.

farmersamm
12-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Do they suck 'em under backing over curbs, or tear 'em off from the side?

farmersamm
12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Was the 100 bucks soundin' better after drillin' all those holes?:D:D

captdave2612
12-03-2008, 06:02 PM
YES.:mad: I told the drivers the next one is on them 20$ per hour 5 hr minimum. I took about 5 ft more off the curb with my big lift. I had fun doing that.:D

captdave2612
12-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Was the 100 bucks soundin' better after drillin' all those holes?:D:D

Yea and that drill just kept git'n hever and hever.

farmersamm
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Yea and that drill just kept git'n hever and hever.

I got a piece of steel in my eye once drilling overhead without proper eye protection. Those drills can be dangerous stuff.

I think I saw an O/A in one of the pics. Maybe next time mark the holes with soapstone thru the orig. holes on the trailer frame, and burn 'em. Doesn't really matter if they're a little oversized. As many as you have to make, the collected error will probably wind up tight anyhow. Nobody's gonna be under there peekin' at 'em for pretty holes anyway

captdave2612
12-03-2008, 06:32 PM
As bad as DOT is here it has to look good. In Harris CO. we have seven departments that do dots, and they aren't playing. If they see anything unusual they look deeper (in your pockets) if you know what I'm saying. Trust me I wanted to burn it. That drill is mean it can break your wrist if it gets in a bind.

farmersamm
12-03-2008, 06:35 PM
As bad as DOT is here it has to look good. In Harris CO. we have seven departments that do dots, and they aren't playing. If they see anything unusual they look deeper (in your pockets) if you know what I'm saying. Trust me I wanted to burn it.

That's great:realmad: I've heard California is real bad about that too.

captdave2612
12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I ripped California out of my map book a long time ago.

lugweld
12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
That is a neat clean looking job. I do think farmersamm had a good idea: to mark the holes first then drill it flat or in a press. Or just start the drill spinning in the hole to mark securely the hole, take it down and finish drilling.

David R
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
What are you going to do when he bends that? :)

David

JTMcC
12-03-2008, 07:55 PM
As bad as DOT is here it has to look good. In Harris CO. we have seven departments that do dots, and they aren't playing. If they see anything unusual they look deeper (in your pockets) if you know what I'm saying. Trust me I wanted to burn it. That drill is mean it can break your wrist if it gets in a bind.

If you practise enough to use your torch effectively, you'll knock a lot of time off of this job.
There are people who hack out bad holes, and people who burn nice holes.

JTMcC

Dualie
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I gave up on mud flaps on the tractor along time ago. I keep the mud flaps and hangers up on the neck of the lowbed for when ever I run bobtail I just grab the flaps and put them in the little 3/4" square hanger brackets.

IF you look up the DOT minimum mud flap clearance regs if theirs no way else to do it I will trim the flaps to within a 1/2" of the minimum. OR if their is clearance I will mount the flaps as far back as I can possibly get them. On my old aluminum flat bed they were almost 18" behind the tires but were perfectly legal.

Thankfully my new Murray has the flaps factory mounted all the way to the back.

And the secrete to running CA daily is look like you know what your doing. Never have the truck "TO CLEAN" but never have it dirty. TO much flash and chrome makes you more suspect that if your leaving a trail of oil behind the tractor you can follow from start to finish.

I have been hassled for the lack of flaps on my F-450 service truck but it meets the min requirements for tire coverage without them. Once I brake out the big strait edge and the protractor out of the tool box and prove to them I only have a 20 deg uncovered tire angle they let me go.

Magnetic Mechanic
12-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I gave up on mud flaps on the tractor along time ago. I keep the mud flaps and hangers up on the neck of the lowbed for when ever I run bobtail I just grab the flaps and put them in the little 3/4" square hanger brackets.

IF you look up the DOT minimum mud flap clearance regs if theirs no way else to do it I will trim the flaps to within a 1/2" of the minimum. OR if their is clearance I will mount the flaps as far back as I can possibly get them. On my old aluminum flat bed they were almost 18" behind the tires but were perfectly legal.

Thankfully my new Murray has the flaps factory mounted all the way to the back.

And the secrete to running CA daily is look like you know what your doing. Never have the truck "TO CLEAN" but never have it dirty. TO much flash and chrome makes you more suspect that if your leaving a trail of oil behind the tractor you can follow from start to finish.

I have been hassled for the lack of flaps on my F-450 service truck but it meets the min requirements for tire coverage without them. Once I brake out the big strait edge and the protractor out of the tool box and prove to them I only have a 20 deg uncovered tire angle they let me go.

I love it when someone tangles them up on their own rules. :blob3:

farmersamm
12-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Do the rules apply to trailers same as the power?

farmersamm
12-03-2008, 10:37 PM
I just saw Murray. That's the trailer? I didn't know if the rules applied to both units.

Mondo
12-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Would it help to mount the flaps on big coil springs?
Boiiiiinnnnggg!!!!!!

captdave2612
12-04-2008, 10:14 AM
David I'll just fix it. :rolleyes:
Dualie there are two things that chrome and chicken lights attract cops and lot lizards.
Farmersam you only have to have flaps on the tractor if you bobtailing.
Magnetic Mechanic I don't argue on the road they like to make up the rules as they go I just make them look like idiots in court. That is if it's local.
Mondo I like the idea only if I can get it to bounce back and slap them up side the head.:dizzy::laugh:

Hephaestus
12-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I love it when they tear them off - I get another free heavy duty rubber work mat out of the deal every time they do it.

They work great for brake service jobs, carb disassembly, and cylinder head work on the bench. Flip 'em rib side up and they will hold a fair amount of grunge/brake parts cleaner from getting on the shop floor. You can hose them off outside when you're done. The ribs also work nicely to keep small hardware from rolling across the shop floor while you are working.

Magnetic Mechanic
12-04-2008, 09:04 PM
David I'll just fix it. :rolleyes:
Dualie there are two things that chrome and chicken lights attract cops and lot lizards.
Farmersam you only have to have flaps on the tractor if you bobtailing.
Magnetic Mechanic I don't argue on the road they like to make up the rules as they go I just make them look like idiots in court. That is if it's local.
Mondo I like the idea only if I can get it to bounce back and slap them up side the head.:dizzy::laugh:

That's even better :gunsfirin

Magnetic Mechanic
12-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I love it when they tear them off - I get another free heavy duty rubber work mat out of the deal every time they do it.

They work great for brake service jobs, carb disassembly, and cylinder head work on the bench. Flip 'em rib side up and they will hold a fair amount of grunge/brake parts cleaner from getting on the shop floor. You can hose them off outside when you're done. The ribs also work nicely to keep small hardware from rolling across the shop floor while you are working.

Some guys think of everything :cool2:

TozziWelding
12-04-2008, 09:08 PM
All I am gonna say is if your doing mud flaps for a paver, they will never last no matter what you do:dizzy: