PDA

View Full Version : Fillet beads

BobR
01-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Hi,
I got a 140 amp mig welder, set at the highest setting, .030 wire, argon/CO2 gas. When I do fillet welds, they are laying down on the horizontal piece at about a 30 degree angle(in
stead of 45 degrees) I'm welding on 1/8 mild steel. I keep my gun at a 45 degree angle and point the wire directly at the joint doing a Tiny weave just to make sure I hit both pieces. How come my welds are laying down on the horizontal piece(30 degree angle) when I have my gun at a 45 degree angle?

Thanks Bob

Franz
01-24-2004, 11:55 PM
GRAVITY
Your weld pool is being moved by gravity before it solidifys.

BobR
01-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the reply....what should I do to get the profile at a 45?

Bob

Customwelds
01-25-2004, 12:48 AM
I would try to weave a little more on the top plate, and a little less emphasis on the bottom plate. Try to make sure you get complete fusion on both plates, just bias the top side of the joint a bit. That should do it if you just stay up a little higher than normal, similar gun angles, just favor the top a bit. Hope this helps, if you have any other problems or questions, just post em!

Planet X
01-25-2004, 02:38 AM
Hey BobR, sounds like a case of the 'Unequal Legs' syndrome. So we are both on the same page lets define some 'Welding Terms'.
1) Unequal Legs- one of the two sides (legs) of bead are not the same length or width.
2) Work Angle- this is the angle given from the part-in your case the 45 degree mark that splits the 90 degree t-joint.
3) Travel Angle- this angle relates to 'push' or 'drag' angle or tilt of the gun.
4) Electrode Angle- this is just the heading that both the 'work' & 'travel' angles would fall under.

Primary causes of 'unequal Legs', wrong work angle and or wrong welder technique.

Make sure the angle you are using is really a 45 degree work angle- verify with a square. You do not want to gun the line from outline of the gas nozzle but the centerline of the electrode (wire).
15-30 degree travel angle is also a typical gun position for your type of joint.
Timing is important there is a thing called 'arc force' that will support your weld against gravity....to a point. If you go too slow your bead will become to large and gravity will remind you it exists.
You may want to consider practicing this joint using the 'drag' technique, this will give you a better view of the puddle.
Weaving will increase the chances of weld failure- weaving is a tool like a dial-caliper-good to have but most times a tape will do.

Here is a visual of the term 'work angle'

Planet X
01-25-2004, 02:40 AM
This could be either push or drag depending if I was welding toward the tip of the speed-square (drag) or toward the intersection of square (push).

Travel angle

BobR
01-26-2004, 03:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll be sure to use it next time I practice.

Bob