PDA

View Full Version : Whatzit ???

mla2ofus
01-01-2009, 11:13 PM
This was among some old tools of my dad's. I haven't a clue what it is. Anyone else know? I forgot to insert the dime, it is about 4" long.The last pic is of a small collet to hold a -----drill bit? The stationary portion of the jaw has a raised dimple? and the plunger that contacts it is concaved. The small threaded plug in the bottom of jaw appears to be storage for ----spare plunger? It sure has me scratchin' my head!!!
Mike

tanglediver
01-01-2009, 11:32 PM
I wonder if it is a punch or riveter. :confused:

jamlit
01-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Not sure but I have seen a tool for setting the teeth on a hand saw that looked a lot like that.

lugweld
01-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Hardness tester?

farmersamm
01-02-2009, 01:01 AM
This is really a stretch, but I'm wondering if that isn't a tool to remove, and install, the rivets on old style sickles. The sickle sections used to be riveted to the sickle bar, instead of bolted like they are nowdays. I'm probably wrong, but it sure looks like it.

I have a pic from a Hesston manual I'll upload in a minute if my camera will take a decent shot of it.

Rojodiablo
01-02-2009, 01:08 AM
That's a chain link press. Maybe 2 different size punches built in, one for motorcycles, one for smaller chain like bicycles/ garage door chain.

farmersamm
01-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Here's the pics:waving:

MarkBall2
01-02-2009, 06:39 AM
I think you are right Samm.

Either that or it's a chain breaker for a size 50-60 chain.

jamlit
01-02-2009, 07:04 PM
It's not a chain break. It doesn't have a hole on the back to push the pin out.

mla2ofus
01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
This is really a stretch, but I'm wondering if that isn't a tool to remove, and install, the rivets on old style sickles. The sickle sections used to be riveted to the sickle bar, instead of bolted like they are nowdays. I'm probably wrong, but it sure looks like it.

I have a pic from a Hesston manual I'll upload in a minute if my camera will take a decent shot of it.

Samm, I don't think it's a rivet setter 'cause it doesn't look strong enough to me and the end opposite the jaw would need a striking surface to hammer on. I've racked my brain and I can't come up w/ anything it's used for.
Mike

David R
01-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Grommets?

I have used one of those sikle bar riveters.

David :)

lugweld
01-03-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm going back to its a Brinell tester...Maybe... I dunno.

A early micrometer with the collet serving as some sort of post holder?

farmersamm
01-03-2009, 12:59 AM
The more I look, the more I think I'm off the mark. The collet is the humdinger. And it has a lightweight turning knob on the handle.?????????????????????????????

daddy
01-03-2009, 01:38 AM
installs snaps on clothing, or tarps, like tonneau covers???

duaneb55
01-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Grommets?

I have used one of those sikle bar riveters.

David :)
Grommets or perhaps snaps??

Rojodiablo
01-03-2009, 01:47 AM
The more I look, the more I think I'm off the mark. The collet is the humdinger. And it has a lightweight turning knob on the handle.?????????????????????????????

Okay, you got me thinking. Is it a sheetmetal guage tool?? Like the old school masters' edition?? No numbers on it for a micrometer though... I saw what you were seeing in the secondary knob, like one set was for fine tuning. But the threads are not that fine for a precision adjustment tool......:confused:

Oldiron2
01-03-2009, 03:50 AM
I have a few questions about this device:
You have 6 pieces starting from the left, which I will call
1) storage cap
2) main body
3) plunger
4) plunger retainer
5) actuator assembly (like the fancy name?)
6) collet cap

A). What does the chamber under the storage cap look like; just a drilled recess, or a cast pocket?
B). Does the hole at the collet end of the actuator continue through to the other end, and does the collet cap have a corresponding hole?
C). Does the plunger also have a through hole?
D). Does the part opposite the slender handle on the actuator unscrew easily, is it fixed in place or should it rotate like a collar, and does it have any grooves or holes in it?

The plunger retainer has spanner holes so probably remains 'fixed' in position once set. I wonder what held it fixed?
The collet cap appears to have had a rotating handle or?? Does the cap show signs of any set screw wear or deformation in the collar area to the right? What is that lighter spot in the knurled area shown in shots 1 & 3?

David R
01-03-2009, 07:16 AM
I would ask my dad, but he won't even look at a computer. :)

That is a tough one. the collet looks like it holds a drill bit or something.

I was thinking a valve seat cutter, but nope.
David

mla2ofus
01-03-2009, 09:19 AM
I have a few questions about this device:
You have 6 pieces starting from the left, which I will call
1) storage cap
2) main body
3) plunger
4) plunger retainer
5) actuator assembly (like the fancy name?)
6) collet cap

A). What does the chamber under the storage cap look like; just a drilled recess, or a cast pocket?
B). Does the hole at the collet end of the actuator continue through to the other end, and does the collet cap have a corresponding hole?
C). Does the plunger also have a through hole?
D). Does the part opposite the slender handle on the actuator unscrew easily, is it fixed in place or should it rotate like a collar, and does it have any grooves or holes in it?

The plunger retainer has spanner holes so probably remains 'fixed' in position once set. I wonder what held it fixed?
The collet cap appears to have had a rotating handle or?? Does the cap show signs of any set screw wear or deformation in the collar area to the right? What is that lighter spot in the knurled area shown in shots 1 & 3?

I'll try to answer as well as I can.
A: it's a cast pocket
B: No, it is solid except the collet itself. The collet cap hole is approx. 1/8",the collet jaw might take 3/32" max.
C: The plunger is solid, flat on one end w/ a slight concave on the other
D: It rotates but will not unscrew. It is knurled the same as collet knob and plunger retainer, but has no spanner hole.

I'm guessing the plunger retainer screwed down to hold whatever it was working on in place, it travels down to within 3/32" of the anvil.
The collet cap has a groove on the right end approx. 1/4" wide and
.020" deep. No sign of setscrew wear.
The lighter areas are flash reflection from me gently using pliers and heat to free up rusty threads for disassembly.
To answer someone elses question, I have not found any micrometer style markings on knurled knobs. I have gone over this with wire brush and magnifying glass and found no letters or #'s on it. Sure wish Dad was here to satisfy curiousity for us all. Hell, it may be something he found and scratched his head over it too!!!!
Mike

Donald Branscom
01-03-2009, 11:57 AM
I would ask my dad, but he won't even look at a computer. :)

That is a tough one. the collet looks like it holds a drill bit or something.

I was thinking a valve seat cutter, but nope.
David

Sorry to hear about your dad's aversion. Try this... Bring the photo up on the computer screen and ask him to look at a picture only.
Might work. Ask him for his expert advise. Maybe it will appeal to his ego.

farmersamm
01-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Could the collet end possibly hold an adjustable depth rod that controls the "shiny" sleeve thingy that pokes thru the anvil??

Oldiron2
01-03-2009, 09:00 PM
A friend suggested it could be for setting metal buttons on overalls. The collet could hold a needle to make holes in the cloth, but that still leaves the rotating side 'handle' with nothing to do, unless it holds thread or fine wire (which would have to first be rewound onto that piece.) Maybe for making/repairing boots/shoes instead of overalls? Using heavier thread which runs through a sewing-type needle for stitching soles, while the punch sets grommets for the laces?? Anyone want to find a shoe repair site and ask there? :help::help::waving:

mla2ofus
01-03-2009, 10:11 PM
A friend suggested it could be for setting metal buttons on overalls. The collet could hold a needle to make holes in the cloth, but that still leaves the rotating side 'handle' with nothing to do, unless it holds thread or fine wire (which would have to first be rewound onto that piece.) Maybe for making/repairing boots/shoes instead of overalls? Using heavier thread which runs through a sewing-type needle for stitching soles, while the punch sets grommets for the laces?? Anyone want to find a shoe repair site and ask there? :help::help::waving:
I believe that sounds most reasonable. Makes perfect sense to me.Anyone know where there's a cobbler's forum?
Mike