PDA

View Full Version : Reloading powder measure stand

johnsonmopar
01-03-2009, 06:24 PM
This is just a simple stand that I thought would make reloading go a little better. It is nothing special, just a bolt welded to a plate. I just like that I can turn it any direction. I can turn it around the back side when cleaning a gun or swing it around when I am ready to throw some charges. Matthew

farmersamm
01-03-2009, 07:08 PM
The pivot is smart.

Do you mainly use the auto measure for pistol rounds, or also rifle rounds?

aametalmaster
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Cool, what cal are you loading??? Bob

johnsonmopar
01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I use it for rifle. Right now I am realoading some 55gr nosler ballistic tips and some 58gr Hornady V-max. These are what I use mainly for prairie dogs out of my Savage .243 Win. Matthew

Sandy
01-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Pretty good idea. I lagged mine down sticking out over the edge of the table. Ties up that small section of the table permanently. I can take the charge off but the bracket stays there.

johnsonmopar
01-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Sandy that is how I had it first but the first charge I shot on the floor I moved it. Matthew

aametalmaster
01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Cool i built a .243 years ago and my son just had a nice Rem 700 made in .243, his must weigh 10 lbs with the bull bbl...Bob

Sandy
01-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Sandy that is how I had it first but the first charge I shot on the floor I moved it. Matthew

Yeh, I used allen heads with metal inserts with the idea that it would be easy on/easy off but that never works out. So you always end up with sections of the table tied up with specific implements and no general purpose room. Your idea gets it back away from the leading edge. ;)

weldbead
01-04-2009, 08:01 AM
aiint nothin as satisfying as figuring out what s not workin and fixin it...

01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Matthew,
What bullet and powder are you using ? I will be reloading some bullets for my 243 next week. I have 100 gr. Nosler Partitions and I will be using IMR 4320 powder. Don't know if this is the best powder or not.

I just killed a deer with my 243 a few weeks ago. He never took a step after the shot. The bullet hit an artery in his neck. It was a very close shot. If I hadn't dropped him he would have walked right over me. I was only in the woods about 20 minutes. The deer had his mind totally on a female - see where that can get you :nono:

johnsonmopar
01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I am new to reloading, and right now I am loading for smaller animals. Deer rifle season is over here. The heaviest bullet I am loading now is a Speer 70gr TNT Hollow Point. For powder I am using H414. I am going to try these out with coyotes and "hope" I don't get too much hide damage. Matthew

Hammack_Welding
01-04-2009, 10:22 PM
IMR 4320 is fine for a 243. IMR 4350 works well in most 308 cases like the 243, and is usually my first choice when loading calibers that use those cases. Really the best powder will vary depending on the rifle. I have some rifles that will shoot one load fantastically, and another identical rifle that scatters shots like crazy with the same loads. Only way to know for sure is to load varying loads and go to shoot them. I build some rifles in my spare time, and have reloaded everything I've shot for the past ten years.

01-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I think you are shooting the right rifle. The 243 is one of the best cross overs from varmints to deer. Speer and Nosler are my favorite bullets. This was my first deer with the 243. A friend of mine talked me into trying one after telling me how well it worked for him. I now think if you are a good shot, anything over the 243 is overkill. There are not many varmints where I live so mine will be strictly a deer gun. The reason I like it is it doesn't mess up as much meat. I am not what you would call a trophy hunter. I hunt for the freezer, so my favorite deer is young and tender. I learned a long time ago you can't eat the horns. :laugh:

My son is trying to talk me out of the 243 so I may be shooting the 06 again pretty soon. :dizzy:

01-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the info on the powder. I bought some 4350 today at a gun show in Florence S.C. My wife and I went to a movie and after it was over I talked her into going into the gun show with me. On the way in I said, " see that man with the new rifle walking with his wife. See how happy he is, and how he is smiling." I said, " wouldn't you want me to be happy and smile like that." "Sure" she said, "and maybe we should buy some new furniture so I can be happy and smile too. " That is when I dropped the subject and was happy just to get the powder. :laugh: Next time, I will go by myself. :)

I have never used the 4320 but I read somewhere on the INTERNET that it has been around for awhile. I have always used the 4064 in the 06.

gordfraser
01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
reloaded for many .243's over the years, never found one that really drove tacks.
worked for deer fine.
moved on to a 25-06 and a 85 grain. used it for everything. crows, foxes big deer small deer. (i lived in scotland then so red deer were the biggest) Used to work very well, but maybee i just got a good ruger.

We tried all kinds of powder in the 243, but any 5 shots in 1.5" at 100y was about it. 25-06 liked 2 or 3 powders and regulary shot sub inch- if not sub .75"

Berger bullets were also a favorite, we used to send over for them. especially on vermin. would split them wide open. Nosler BT were very common also.

But that was just my experience with a few rifles. You enjoy yours. everyone to their own!
G

gordfraser
01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
we couldnt get IMR powder over there

Hammack_Welding
01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
In my experience, bullet seating depth will have more to do with accuracy than the powder does. 4320 has been around for years. I have had rifles of all calibers that would not shoot, and some that were unbelievably accurate. It depends solely on the individual rifle and not the brand or caliber, and I think we have hijacked the thread....... johnsonmopar, i do like the idea as being able to swing the thrower can definitely save space in tight areas. Good job.

johnsonmopar
01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Heck Hammack it don't bother me. I am still reading and learning! Matthew