PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Squasher - both ends at once

arc-newbie
01-17-2009, 07:10 AM
This was requested from a fellow web member so here is our pipe squasher from work.

We make a lot of panels from pipe and we squash the rails on the ends to facilitate welding easier. This allows us to squash both ends at the same time and will allow a maximum lenght of pipe at 3300mm or 11ft give or take.

I hope to build one at home for myself incorporating an Hydraulic pipe bender at primary end and put the slave end on castors with quick connects, when not needed to squash pipe just simply disconnect and roll slave into storage, if this makes sense.

tessdad
01-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Nice looking tool. What is the capacity? How about some before, during and after pics. And some of the finished product before and after welding in place.

As for the home unit, unless your going to do massive amount of these, wouldn't the slave side be a bit of overkill? I was thinking of instead of the second squasher, squash one side, flip it. Have a jig where you were going to mount the second piston, it would be adjustable, but able to hold everything to length, square, and most important hold the two ends in the same plane. This would be less to set up and less to store when not needed. I was thinking of saving the picture of your squasher, and modify my ironworker to do the job if the need arises in the future.

arc-newbie
01-17-2009, 03:55 PM
the only reason to have the slave unit in my shop is im lazy and already have the extra cyclinder laying about. i will get the finished pics uploaded tonight, the finished product are cattle panels, or portable stock yards, mostly 1.6 mtr high and 2.4 mtr long with either 5 or 6 rails, a fair welder can make about 24 of these in an eight hour shift if he's having a good day.