PDA

View Full Version : old welder I passed up

imc188222
02-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I just passed up a Hobart 300D for $1000. I went and looked at it, very low hours, perkins diesel, 100ft leads, looked to be in very nice shape. Now someone slap my hand and tell me how bad I screwed up.

partagas
02-18-2009, 01:10 AM
If you were closer I would slap the you know what out of you.around here you can not find anything that cheap..

BNF
02-18-2009, 08:48 AM
I won't slap you, as I can't reach that far. I wouldn't mind having a grand in a 300D if it was like you described. It would fit my needs well.

imc188222
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I am going back and forth as to whether or not I should have bought it. The thing is a monster, 300amp at 100% duty cycle. I live on a farm and run a car repair business. I do alot of welding but am not a welder by trade. I decided that I could not justify buying a mobile welder that I could not run as a generator. This welder had two sets of 110v outlets, no big 220 outlet. I don't know if I could have wired one in or not. The owners manual did not seem to say anything about that. The advertisement did not say much about the welder and there was no picture, the guy couldn't tell me much about it either. I raced down to look at it yesterday, I figured that if it was what I wanted, it wasn't going to be around long. I am kinda kicking myself for not buying it. I had to drive two hours one way to look at it, it was a hard call to make having driven so far. It just wasn't exactly what I wanted. If I welded for a living I would have snapped it up. It seemed to weld real nice. Old machine though, no auto throttle, huge heavy thing. I am tempted to drive all the way back down there and buy it but I think it would probably just end up sitting in the barn.

partagas
02-19-2009, 01:44 AM
IMC, if you are not a " welder", who is going to use it everyday. The machine is way more then you would need. For home use with a back up gen I would look at rangers and bobcats. You are now off the hook. LOL...... For someone who wants to build a welding rig, that is a perfect welder. But like you said, it would sit in the barn, and you would be kicking your self for speanding the money for something you use one a month if that. I take back my slap..........LOL :)

denrep
02-19-2009, 02:09 AM
I am going back and forth as to whether or not I should have bought it. The thing is a monster, 300amp at 100% duty cycle. I live on a farm and run a car repair business. I do alot of welding but am not a welder by trade. . . .

I don't know...
For a grand, and with 100' leads to boot. Besides, he might take a little less if he doesn't see this post. :laugh:

So it's a little bigger than the next portable? The Perkins is reliable, starts easy, sips fuel and doesn't "lot-rot" when stored. Probably CV capable too. Any day you want out, just the engine or the whole machine would sell for a decent profit - without the leads.

I say take another ride and go for it.

Good Luck

denrep
02-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Well... Are you gonna marry this doll, or introduce her to some of your best buddies? :laugh: :waving:

imc188222
02-21-2009, 08:37 AM
I don't think I am going to buy it. I am going to wait for a good deal on a bobcat or other miller engine driven. If anyone is interested in the Hobart email me and I will send you his number. Or just search the western mass craigslist. As of the other day it was still available. isaacmclark@gmail.com

lugweld
02-21-2009, 10:11 AM
imc,

Yes you are crazy...Look...buy the stupid machine, spray a coat of paint on it and list it for 2500.00. Sometimes(and I think you are the proof) people won't buy something because it is too cheap. If you raise the price it will sell. Anyone would buy the Perkins for 2000 by itself. A bobcat won't weld half as good and will burn 2x's the fuel. Seriously? You want a bobcat instead of a real bonafide welder? Or is it you just are wanting something new.:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:D You would have to get into the BIG series miller to get something even close to comparable. I hope you find the machine you want...But it sounds to me like the boy in High School who wanted to date the "popular" girl who was attractive but shallow and "loose" instead of the "cute" girl that wore glasses and studied hard and had less expensive clothes that sat behind him pinining away in study hall. Then twenty years later, after the guy goes through a divorce or two, never fully satisfied with his "choices" in life, he finds the glasses girl at the high school reunion, smokin' hot but still interested in him...she never married but had a few short term relationships. He discovers the girl he was interested in high school smoked like a freight train, gained about 95 pounds, was rode hard and put up wet, and couldn't get a dog interested in her with a pork chop tied to her neck.

I'm just saying...

trweld
02-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey IMC,
You passed up on a sweet deal. I know because I bought that machine this morning. I assume you live in western Mass. I live in the Worcester area. The guy was real nice, a bit flakey, but real nice. It is currently wired for 2 115volt outlets but can be switched to 1 230 volt outlet.
The machine was brand new in 20 year old clothing, it only had less than 400 hours on it, new battery and had the fuel system completely gone thru because he doesn't use it very often. It's never been outside or in the weather for any reason. Has about 200 feet of ground and stinger but mostly mismatched stuff, have to go thru it and sort it out.
Gave him a grand for it, no problem.
The books he had were the wrong ones, so they were misleading at first. If anyone has manuals for a 300D let me know. I'll post the serial number later.:blob4::blob4:
Any ways I needed a big amp machine for a big carbon arc job, 4-5 excavator buckets to rebuild.
Sorry you missed out.
If you are still interested I might sell it in a couple months after I get these jobs done. I may only put 100-125 hours on her.

lugweld
02-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I love it...:p

Post up some pics of the baby so he can go :gunsfirin himself.

tanglediver
02-21-2009, 10:23 PM
That was some sweet drama! :p :cry:

denrep
02-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I think Imc188222 deserves credit for knowing what he wants, and thanks for posting the Hobart opportunity for someone else.

I'm glad Trweld bought it. I think it's a great deal for what he wants to do. I didn't need it or want it, but if no one spoke up, I was going to chase it just on principle. You know, just like a lazy old dog will still chase a big furry rabbit, if it hangs around long enough. :laugh:

I have a feeling that the alternator is 120volt only, and not reconnectable to 240v.

Remember, similar machines in unknown condition averaged around $2400 plus buyer fees and freight, at the sale Paweldor posted.

Good Luck

imc188222
03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Sweet trweld, I'm glad someone on here was able to buy it. That was basically my reason for posting on here. It was a really hard call for me not buying it, the machine was in really nice shape. I'm just glad to hear that someone is enjoying it. I'm curious what kind of engine driven you folks would recommend that I keep a look out for. The only machine that I have any time on was a Miller Big 40. I want something about half the physical size that this Hobart is. Has to have at least 6kw 220v generator capacity, preferably 10kw. Any thoughts?

specter
03-11-2009, 05:48 PM
I would have considered buying it have my shop tech go thru it paint it up and sell it for $3,000 to some of the larger farms in NY or PA. They would have grapped it in a heart beat. Also good way to pick up a couple grand ($$$$) on the side.:)

denrep
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I would have considered buying it...

You still may have a chance Spector:

Hey IMC,
...If you are still interested I might sell it in a couple months after I get these jobs done. I may only put 100-125 hours on her.