PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Truck Tires

steve45
04-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Just curious, saw a semi-truck on the interstate today, what would normally be an 18-wheeler. However, this truck had wide single tires rather than duallys. The tires were probably 14-16 inches wide. It was a '10-wheeler'.

Anybody else seen that setup yet?

wrenchin80
04-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, they are called Super Singles. Their supposed to help with fuel economy.

DDA52
04-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Ever see the front tire on a concrete truck? Basically the same animal. A big tire that will hold the weight of two of the regular ones. Myself, I will never use them. If you have a flat, you can't limp down the road on the other tire...you are done right there. :mad:

Woodshed
04-18-2009, 11:34 PM
They use then here in Albuquerque, NM driving in the sand at construction site.

Crickertj
04-19-2009, 12:23 AM
We get lots of snow up here in North Idaho and a local steel outfit uses them on delivery trucks and have a heck of a time in snow. Especially when it gets slushy.

TJ

denrep
04-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Steve45 probably saw Michelin's x-one, strictly an on-highway wide single tire.
I believe Michelin is the only manufacturer of such a tire.

The Michelin single is a different animal than the original "Super Single" which is a high capacity single tire for mixed use, on and off highway.

Good Luck

TxDoc
04-19-2009, 01:12 AM
They discuss these on XM radio on channel 171, kevinonxm.com site, too. I think Michelin is the only one in a low profile type, and they are not allowed in Canada, at this time (this may have changed since I last heard). I first saw them actually on a truck on TrickMyTruck.

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=X%20One%20XDN2

Michelin's longest-wearing, best traction X One drive tire for highway and regional operations.

Engineered to replace duals

Weight savings of approximately 371 lb. per tractor, when compared to the MICHELIN XDN2 tire

Multiple tread compounds to keep the casing cooler and optimize retreadability

Extra wide tread width for excellent stability and long wearlife

Open shoulder design helps provide exceptional traction on dry, wet and snow covered surfaces

Infini-Coil Technology™, - incorporates a 1/4 mile of steel cable to help eliminate casing growth and ensure a consistent footprint.

Open shoulder design - additional traction in adverse weather and snow conditions.

Michelin's Matrix™ Siping technology - over 3,000 biting edges combine to provide excellent levels of traction while the 3-dimension Matrix sipes lock together for the stability normally associated with solid tread blocks.

Extra-wide tread - excellent stability and long wear life.

SipeSaver Technology - Teardrop at the base of the sipes relieves stresses and helps prevent tearing

steve45
04-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Interesting. I wonder how they hold up in the summer heat. Several of the tire companies test their tires here because of the summer heat (and relatively little traffic).

flatbustedbroke
04-19-2009, 03:56 PM
They are becoming more common, if they are used in place of steel duals the weight savings can be up to 800 lbs. per axle. They also flex less than a dual setup (only one set of sidewalls compared to two sets on standard duals) therefore increasing fuel mileage. The x-one has a run flat style so that they can be driven to a service shop. A lot of fleets are going to them but the change over costs are high as the tires run around $900 versus 2 drive tires for $700.00

farmersamm
04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Been seeing them on bulk cattle feed trailers around here. I wonder if they are better for flotation, and maybe get rid of the problem of packed mud between the duals.

Also wondered about the safety factor too. Even run-flat, seems like a lot of weight on a dead rim/tire.

paweldor
04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Starting to see more and more of them here in the NE also. One customer mentioned 1 tire costs less than 2, only 1 wheel rim, supposed to increase mileage. Time will tell.

farmersamm
04-22-2009, 09:48 PM
If I remember right, the aviation industry is doing something similar.

I think you had to have 4 engines to do Trans Atlantic or long distance over water flights in the past. I think they've changed the rules to allow less than 4 engines. I think the reasoning is that the engines are supposed to be better now. Less need for backups when one or two fail.

I'm afraid of flying. If I can't get there in a car, I don't go. LOL

rrangus
10-30-2009, 09:25 PM
A major fleet here is running these tires in an on/off road operation. The drive axle tire life is about 75% better than duals in this operation. The fronts get about 15% less mileage. The additional 800-900# saved on a rig translates into a lot of bucks for them. Fuel mileage is hard to compute, several hours a day of PTO operation.