PDA

View Full Version : Which 135 to get?

Mr.C
08-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Hello,
I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on the Lincoln 135T and 135Plus? Lowes sells a 135, but doesn't exactly say which one. I'm guessing it's the 135T.
When I went to Lincolns site I can clearly see that the Plus is better, but how much so? I noticed too that they only compare the Plus to the miller and not the T. I also noticed that in their description the Plus is said to be good for farm chores which leads me to believe heavier use.

I am mainly going to be using this for autobody and just about any other project that comes along. Welding up a roll cage too maybe.

I would get the 175 that lowes sells, but I want to be able to take the welder anywhere and plug it in. Or should I just get the 175? How about wiring issues to make it work?
Lots of questions, but I'm probably going to stick with a 135.
Thanks

halbritt
08-01-2005, 10:17 PM
One is tapped and has a limited number of voltage settings. The other has a continuously variable number of voltage settings.

The 135T compares to the Hobart Handler 140, which is also tapped. The Plus compares to the MM135 which is continuously variable. People have good things to say about all of the welders. I've used the MM135 quite a bit and I am impressed with the quality of the drive mechanism and the ability to push the duty cycle given that it's a 120VAC welder.

lv guy
08-07-2005, 05:54 AM
I bought the lowe's unit and they've replaced the handy face shield with a cheap helmet. But lowe's does give you a regulator and hose, in case you want to go mig. On other hand, Home depot has the same welder but they call it the 3200. The price is the same, but they give you a low profile cart to push the welder around in and they still include the hand shield.

Home depot also has the 100 model for about $330, but it's not rated to weld 5/16" like the 135 models.

Dave

RC-Racer
08-08-2005, 02:04 PM
The Lowes Pro Mig 135 is identical to the SP135T. I have the Pro Mig 175. It's the same as the SP175T and comes with everthing you need to run both gas and flux core. All you have to do is add the gas tank. If you look on the Lincoln site, they are listed in the product section under "retail products".

Some people have stated that the retail versions are not as high quality as the SP versions and use substandard components. That is not true. They are identical except for the face plate and accesories in the package.

Pentawelder
08-09-2005, 01:18 PM
The Home Depot 3200 HD is also a repackaged 135T.
Comes set up for FCAW. IMHO the mask is awful for welding.
I got a Lincoln auto shade at HD (way overpriced there).
The mask that came with the welder is great for watching
someone else welding.

Mr.C
08-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Ok so what do you guys think about the 175 at Lowes? Do you think I could just put a different plug and use the dryer outlet? I mean if I keep the setting low and not try anything crazy until I wire for it. Yeah I know dumb question.

halbritt
08-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Not a dumb question at all. A lot of folks here recommend the 175s over the 135s because it's a lot more versatile for just a little more money. Having used a 135 a good deal, I have to say that I agree. Even welding .125 wall, I have to run the MM135 at the limits of it's ability. Swapping out a different plug will work and should be a no-brainer. The smallest dryer plugs that I know of are 30A and I'm not sure that a 175 will draw that much current.

TEK
08-09-2005, 08:50 PM
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

RC-Racer
08-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Ok so what do you guys think about the 175 at Lowes? Do you think I could just put a different plug and use the dryer outlet? I mean if I keep the setting low and not try anything crazy until I wire for it. Yeah I know dumb question.

A 30A dryer outlet will work fine with the Pro Mig 175. It's max draw is 20A at 230v. As far as the welder plug, just get one of those replacement dryer cords that has the 30A plug on one end and put a Nema 6-50R receptacle to match the welder plug.
When and if you decide to add a dedicated welder circuit, you can run a 50A line that can be used by higher output welders if the need occurs.
My outlet is a 230v 20A circuit. I have a 10-3 50ft extension that has a 20amp plug on one end and 6-50R on the other. Lincoln claims that you can use 12-3 for a 50ft extension ( I guess they allow for the duty cycle ). If you want a little freedom to move the welder around, then build a 10-3 extension with 30A dryer plug and 6-50R recepticle.

MetalSculptor
12-04-2005, 10:34 PM
The Lincolns have been burning up in San Diego. I'd get the Miller.

ctardi
12-09-2005, 02:10 AM
The Lincolns have been burning up in San Diego. I'd get the Miller.

He's not in San Diego, it'll be fine.