PDA

View Full Version : You know what grinds my gears!

Atomik777
05-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Anyone who uses "expanding foam insulation" as body fill.

As i'm find the previous owner of my step side was a advocate of.

I think anyone caught in the act of doing or promoting should be immediately be kicked in the dingle berries.:realmad:

daddy
05-13-2009, 08:07 PM
I know a few guys like that...

I feel your pain.:realmad:

specter
05-14-2009, 11:09 AM
My father owned several auto body shops! Never ceased to amaze me the things folks would use as body fill and insulation material What makes it worse is when to fail to notify you that crap is used in the vehicle and you weld something and located the burning material.:angry:

app-ironworksllc
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM
My 1st car was a 70 Mustang rust bucket. po had used exp. foam and duct tape to recreate the (missing) bottom 5 inches of both doors. Even at 14 yrs old I knew enough to just salvage the glass and hardware and toss the door shells. Makes you wonder sometimes.

farmersamm
05-14-2009, 10:16 PM
That's right up there with oatmeal in the gearbox:laugh::laugh:

Or 20 cans of STP, or Rislone Motor Honey, and showing the car when the motor's warm:laugh::laugh:

scorpio_vette
05-15-2009, 12:57 AM
i'd rather have expanding foam in body panels than ever see another rig like the one that pulled into my shop one night.

guy had bought a nissan pickup truck in the neighboring state and drove it 3 hours up to milwaukee. shortly before making it home the truck "started to lean" to the passenger side, and he pulled into my shop. at first glance i saw that the leaf spring looked like it had broken. so as i go to put the truck on the hoist, i get this bad feeling. i start looking closer and notice a "scar" down the entire lenght of the passenger side frame rail. so i take my knife and stick it into the "scar".

yup..............the entire passenger side frame rail had rot on it like swiss cheese, and was filled with expanding foam, and then painted black. turns out, the leaf spring didn't break. the leaf spring mount was only attached with about 1-2" of metal and the rest was encased in foam. i'm surprised he even made the 3hour drive without breaking sooner.

tresi
05-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I have found a expanded type foam rubber factory installed in various voids of Cadilacs and other luxury cars . I guess it was to make them quite inside. It burned very well.

Atomik777
05-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I worked at a car audio shop and we used to fill body panel with it to damper vibration... thats kinda understandable...

metalmeltr
05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
ive never herd of this but it doesnt suprize me some people will do anything to make something look "right" My neighbor has a toyota 4 runner that had a few roting body panels that he duraglassed and spraypainted and from the son of a bodyman it looked horible he should have cut out the metal and started over

MoroneysWelding
05-25-2009, 01:15 PM
I guess some people are afraid to weld metal on cars... they would rather use can o' foam filler.

gordon stephenson
05-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi, I think another "quick fix" years ago for noisy bevel gears in the diff was to stuff a few nylon stockings thro' the filler hole to get shredded and thicken up the oil a touch and take up the slack between the gears, (I'd much rather see the stockings used for their intended purpose)

Cheers Gordon.

Billdacat
05-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Cheep a$$ syncro's on a NV3550 tranmission with 75K miles. :rolleyes:
My favorite was the time I ran over my friends CB radio antenna… He had used “gorilla glue” to mount the antenna bracket to his Jeep. WTF? over….:nono:

mrmikey
05-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Banana peels in differentals work too, or so I've been told.....Mike

gizzardgutz
05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Banana peels in differentals work too, or so I've been told.....Mike

I bought a 1961 T120C Triumph motorcycle many yrs ago and I discovered later that the transmission had been stuffed with bananas! I had to do a complete rebuild on it. :mad:

Ironmower
05-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Sawdust works pretty good too, heck I put it in all my diffs. Just kiddin'!!!!!!!!!

lars66
05-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi, I think another "quick fix" years ago for noisy bevel gears in the diff was to stuff a few nylon stockings thro' the filler hole to get shredded and thicken up the oil a touch and take up the slack between the gears, (I'd much rather see the stockings used for their intended purpose)

Cheers Gordon.

Sawdust in the dif or straight stick tranny worked pretty good to deaden the howl also.

imc188222
05-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Here in Massachusetts you cannot legally drive a vehicle with a rust hole. There is a TON of salt used on the roads here which leads to very rusty vehicles. To get an inspection sticker and be able to legally drive their car, a lot of people will fill holes in their car with expanding foam. These are usually vehicles that are by no means worth welding new metal onto. If you started that there would be no reasonable place to stop and it would quickly be evident that buying a new car would be better. On a side note I have seen vehicles as new a 3 years old here with rust holes in them.

Atomik777
05-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Here in Massachusetts you cannot legally drive a vehicle with a rust hole. There is a TON of salt used on the roads here which leads to very rusty vehicles. To get an inspection sticker and be able to legally drive their car, a lot of people will fill holes in their car with expanding foam. These are usually vehicles that are by no means worth welding new metal onto. If you started that there would be no reasonable place to stop and it would quickly be evident that buying a new car would be better. On a side note I have seen vehicles as new a 3 years old here with rust holes in them.

That really doesn't make me feel allot better.

Dualie
06-01-2009, 03:14 AM
Another good trick is borax or pumice down the carb to take the glazing off the cylinder walls. works for about 250 miles then it starts smoken again.

Atomik777
06-06-2009, 06:13 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q291/atomik777/S7302064.jpg

the rest of the story
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=31079

MoroneysWelding
07-15-2009, 03:31 AM

OK tell me something then... Do these three year old cars ever get a bath or what??? OH ya and BUMP :blob2:

joethemechanic
07-15-2009, 08:14 AM
http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/images/products/L0186-013.jpg

Description: LUBRIPLATE MAG-00 is a shear stable, multi-functional, non-corrosive extreme pressure, water resistant, semi-fluid polymer type lubricant for both plain and anti-friction bearings, gears, cams and slides. This polymer lubricant will provide long service over a wide temperature range. Great for leaky gear boxes.

LUBRIPLATE MAG-00
LUBRIPLATE MAG-00 is a shear stable, multi-functional, non-corrosive extreme pressure,
water resistant, semi-fluid polymer type lubricant for both plain and anti-friction bearings,
gears, cams and slides. This polymer lubricant will provide long service over a wide
temperature range.
LUBRIPLATE MAG-00 is recommended for a large variety of applications:
Centralized lubricating systems, especially those operating under wide
temperature ranges.
Track roll reservoirs using a semi-fluid lubricant.
Gear cases under various and adverse operating conditions. Trailer landing
gear cases.
Steering gear boxes and columns using semi-fluid operating conditions.
Roller bearing guide pin sleeves (high speed) on machine tools.
Automatic lubricators using a soft lubricant.
Spindle box gear grease.
Cotton picker semi-fluid lubricant.
Cold test characteristics of LUBRIPLATE MAG-00 are excellent.
Lincoln Ventmeter Tests
88°F 0 psig
75°F 10 psig
-40°F 90 psig
-50°F 250 psig
(over)
Typical Tests on LUBRIPLATE MAG-00
Type of Soap Lithium
Penetration @ 77°F Semi-Fluid
315/330 - 30 gram cone
(415/430 converted to standard 150 gram cone)
NLGI No. 00
ASTM Dropping Point 340°F/171°C
Mineral Oil Viscosity
SUS @ 100°F 120
cSt @ 40°C 23
Timken E.P. Test
OK Load - Lever Arm 40 lbs.
Color Off-White
Cold Test of Lubricant -70°F/-57°C
LUBRIPLATE MAG-00 is available in the following:
Packaging Available Part No.
Carton, 4/7 lb. Jugs L0186-007
Carton, 12/2 lb. Plastic Bottles L0186-013
35 lb. Pail L0186-035
120 lb, Quarter Size Drum L0186-039
420 lb., Full Size Drum L0186-040

This stuff will shut up a noisy gearbox. It's really a good lubricant so I wouldn't put it in the category of oatmeal or banana peels.

It's great to get some more time out of a gearbox that doesn't justify rebuilding.

I have used it in all kinds of stuff. In a previous life I was the "field engineer" for a manufacturer of large industrial gearboxes. We used the MAG-00 for everything from the first helical reduction to the finals with 60" and larger ring gears. There were a lot of times I had to nurse a sick gearbox through until we could schedule some plant downtime.

denrep
07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
OK tell me something then... Do these three year old cars ever get a bath or what???

Sure they get a bath, they go to the car-wash, where in the wintertime recycled "saltwater" is driven into every seam and crevice. :realmad:

MoroneysWelding
07-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Gotta love it around here... I guess get a power washer...