PDA

View Full Version : College courses?

rocko2527
07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Okay, my dad retired from niagara university and because of that me and my brother get free tuition for whatever classes we want to take. I want to do something with welding, whether it be an iron worker or pipefitter, and was wondering if there were any classes I could take that would give me an advantage. So what would be good courses?

obewan
07-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Have you checked the website for the college? You would most likely find welding at a community college unless there is a welding or manufacturing engineering program at Niagra. Check the website and tell us what your options are and we might be able to help.

rocko2527
07-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Heres a link of courses http://www.niagara.edu/programs-a-z-listings/

obewan
07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Heres a link of courses http://www.niagara.edu/programs-a-z-listings/

I don't see any welding. If you are interested in a welding degree from another college you could still save a lot of money by taking your general college requirements at Niagra and transferring the credits. You could knock out math and english for starters...and if you were going for a BS in welding maybe even chemistry and physics. I would not turn up my nose at free tuition even if it is at a liberal arts college.

rocko2527
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't see any welding. If you are interested in a welding degree from another college you could still save a lot of money by taking your general college requirements at Niagra and transferring the credits. You could knock out math and english for starters...and if you were going for a BS in welding maybe even chemistry and physics. I would not turn up my nose at free tuition even if it is at a liberal arts college.

Yeah thats how I feel, Im gonna take advantage of it as much as I can. So would having college credits make you more valuble to an employer?, when dealing with welding?

obewan
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Yeah thats how I feel, Im gonna take advantage of it as much as I can. So would having college credits make you more valuble to an employer?, when dealing with welding?

It depends on what kind of career you are interested in. A degree in welding together with hands on welding skills will get you the farthest.

You can earn a BS in Welding Engineering. You can earn an AS in Welding Technology. You can earn a certificate in welding. I think all three will require English and math, at least the first two will.

If you are interested in marketing and sales, then sometimes a business degree will get you a job in the welding industry, but to compete with welding majors you might need to have some credits or a certificate in welding from another college. When I worked for Union Carbide Corporation in welding sales as an engineer there were at least 3 or 4 people on the marketing staff who were business majors who learned the welding industry on the job.