PDA

View Full Version : welding work in virginia

wareagle
10-02-2009, 01:35 AM
HELLO. I WAS WANTING TO GET SOME FEEDBACK ON THIS...I'M IN SCHOOL NOW FOR WELDING TECH . 2 YEAR DEGREE.I DO THAT BY DAY AND BY NIGHT I WORK AS A WELDER FOR A SMALL UNION SHOP ..I LOVE THE OCEAN AND MISS THE FISHING.I HAVE DECIDED TO LEAVE KENTUCKY AND START LOOKING FOR A GOOD WELDING JOB VERY NEAR THE OCEAN..I'M GOING TO VISIT VIRGINIA 4 THANKSGIVING WEEK..THERE IS LARGE SHIPYARDS AROUND NORFOLK I HEAR..I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH HARD WORK FOR GOOD PAY..I HEAR LOTS OF NEGITIVE ABOUT SHIPYARD WORK....ANY WORD ON THIS???? I'M NOT DEAD SET ON VIRGINIA BUT I DON'T LIKE EXTREME HEAT,OR FORGET NEW JERSEY,AND NEW YORK..TOO COSTLY..VIRGINIA SEEMS TO HAVE REASONABLE HOUSE PRICES AND THE OCEAN RIGHT THERE.....1 THING I KNOW IS I WILL ONLY ACCEPT A JOB WELDING..THIS IS MY CAREER. ANY ADVISE ON WHERE I SHOULD LOOK FOR A POSSIBLE GOOD JOB...SHIPYARD,OIL RIG/PLATFORM,POWERPLANTS,ECT??? I AM MARRIED AND HAVE 1 SON KEEP IN MIND...MY TEACHER IS A ,,,,,AWS CWI SO I WILL BE ABLE TO PICK UP A FEW CERTS AND I WILL HAVE MABY 5 YRS AS A WELDER/FABRICATOR...LOOKING FOWARD TO HEAR ANY GOOD ADVICE FROM SOME EXPERIENCED WELDERS,AND SOME FISHIN FREAKS!!!!!!!!l LOL

Gramo
10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Shipyard welding isn't bad at all. Did if for 6 years. Most of it fluxcore now in VA. But you'll need to pass f/c 3 position, stick 3 position and mig horizontal. If you go through a contractact co. you can make big money. Try someone like tradesmen international or go to Indeed.com and search welder and per diem and you'll find more. Good luck. I'm going to move to VA in the beginning of next year. Northrop Grumman is the main co. there. Its a good co. with good benefits. top pay is about 21.50 hr.

wareagle
10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
thanks 4 the info....a guy in my school worked for the same shipyard co in mobile alabama..i'm not going anywhere yet,until i finish my school. if you don;t mind tell the good and bad about working 4 a shipyard???

Gramo
10-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Good thing is benefits. You have a wife and kid so the benefits will really come in handy. Plus you get all the paid holidays etc . Bad things: dirty work, dragging lines all over the place and your machine is usually no where close to where your working. Lots of steps, ladders, and walking. And lets not forget if you get an a hole for a foreman. However, the years I worked there were not bad. You do get a chance to advance in your career and its a steady job. That is the main thing these days. Get a good place to work stay there. Good paying and steady welding jobs aren't just on the next corner like they use too. Good luck in school. That will help you out if you go to work in VA

wareagle
10-24-2009, 09:16 PM
thank you for the info.i will have to get your phone number to ask some questions about what kind of pre employment test,where to apply,ect. I work as a welder/fabrication now,but i love fishing and the ocean.every since i got out of the marines i have missed the ocean.i have several year expirience welding,but by far need,and want to learn more.i have plans to visit mobile,al thanksgiving and will take a look at the shipyard their as well..i think va would be nicer but houses seen more costly. i live in ky,bought a foreclosure,and got lucky and i'm at the very top in my job...their is tons of Lazy people here is why i had so much luck i guess.. as this up commining jan 3rd i will be at 17.00hr...i have went back to school to be a real welder and persue a better,more skilled welding job. in the shipyards do you ever work with some of the older guys that teach you well or is it kinda sink or swim....in my job it [union] and sink or swim...i'm not a union man at all and never ever want to work for a union again...NEVER if i can help it. i know everyone will say this,but i used to be lazy b4 the marines,but every since i got out i have changes and have worked hard and it has payed off..there is only 1 other welder at my shop that will help you and that is a good guy....in the shipyards if your not lazy do you think you would be able to hang around some of the old timers or work with them to learn your job? do they take the time to train you good if they see your are not a scum bag and never miss or never late????? ann tons of the shipyard welding jobs say 3-5 years shipyard expirence only....if you are a welder and have other welding exp but not shipyard will they still take you????????? how old are you and where do you live now?

Gramo
10-28-2009, 07:09 PM
email me at bottomsouth@yahoo.com. I'll send you my phone #