PDA

View Full Version : Old Miller HF-P tig

SteveB
11-06-2005, 03:14 PM
I have the opportunity to buy an old Miller HF-P tig welder, but I don`t know much about it. It looks like an ac/dc machine and it has high frequency start but I can`t tell much more about it. It looks quite old. It has these stick shift-looking levers for the ac and dc adjust that run up and down the front of the panel on the sides, and the old Miller logo.

Has anyone ever used one of these? And if so, how did you like it?

smithboy
11-06-2005, 03:53 PM
I use one now. Mine is not the hf, but I picked up a high freq box for next to nothing when I bought it. Basically the same thing, without the very low end on the amps. They are great, but hu-normous in size. If you got the room and the strength...

What's the asking price? These older machines are generally pretty cheap, so don't go paying too much.

SteveB
11-07-2005, 05:13 AM
The guy is asking $300, but I`m pretty sure he`ll take $250 or thereabouts.

Are you able to do lighter gauge aluminum tubing with this machine?

smithboy
11-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Yeah, it's probably worth that. Lighter gauge is more difficult, but you can do it to some extent. You just have to move faster. GotAluminum is another guy on this site that has a lot of experience with the dialarc hf. You might look at some of his postings. What amperage is the lowest setting? Seems like the HF goes down to about 5 or 10 amps. Mine only gets down to 30, so really light stuff is verrrry difficult. I don't do much light stuff (about 1/8 inch is as thin as I do). I mostly do thicker sheet for farm applications...nothing complicated.

the "P", if I remember correctly, is for power factor correction. You should be able to run that welder on a lower amp breaker than the regular hf. Once you get the serial, go to miller and download the manual. It has lots of details.

buildhauer
11-08-2005, 05:56 PM
I currently use a Miller Dialarc HF-P mine works great, haven't done anything with thin wall aluminum though. Does it have a working pedal? Mine, I had to have one made for and it cost me more than the welder did but still very worth it.

smithboy
11-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I just picked up a pedal off ebay for $55 bucks. Prices vary, but if you are patient, you can find one. I have posted pictures in another thread. The actual innerworkings of the pedal is very simple. You need a rfc23a.

SteveB
11-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I ended up buying the HF-P. I guess the machine is from 1975! I had to put together the torch. It cam with a Weld-tec air-cooled torch that was missing the collet, back cap and cup. I had to make a new ground cable; the one that came with it can only be described as suicidal. The cables to the pedal were in pretty poor condition, but I was able to tape them up and use them. I`ll be replacing them in the future. I got a bottle of argon, the machine came with a regulator. I downloaded the manual off the Miller site and set it up for 220. It seems to work pretty well in spite of the state of disrepair it appeared to be in. I haven`t tried any stick welding with it yet.

As of now, I really like this machine. It`s really easy to use and set up for whatever you`re trying to do. I hope it`s got a few good years left in it. I`d really like to improve my tig welding and now I have unlimited access to a halfway decent tig machine. Practice, practice, practice........

smithboy
11-14-2005, 10:07 AM
I bought mine in the late '80s. I bought another older one for my dad just a couple of years back (I think it's a '60s model). It works just as well as mine and I have thought a couple of times I would like to swap, because his connectors are much more convienient than my lugs, and his switches from ac to dc with a flip of a lever, like the HF. On mine, you have to unbolt and rebolt (unless you get some quick connectors, like I did). If it works now, it will work probably for a loooooong time. When you get ready to move up or in a different direction, you will probably not lose a dime on your purchase. You might even make money, depending on the current price of copper.