PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Cutter Questions

Pat
01-31-2004, 09:20 PM
A few of you may recall (from the other board) that I scored a used Spectrum 375 plasma cutter for a very good price. I have never used it yet, or even hooked up the new Motor Gaurd filter. I have a chance to sell the 375 to my brother, and buy a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 that is barely used from one of his friends for approx $1500.00 The reason I am considering this is because at some point I may need to cut thicker metal than what the 375 is rated for. I think the Hypertherm is rated at 1 1/4" for the maximum cut.

Can anyone tell me if by going to a larger capacity machine, if it will affect the quality of cut on the lower end (1/4" or less) and not give as good of a cut as the 375. In other words would the Hypertherm be over-kill and burn a wider kerf than the 375, and not give as precise of a cut on the thinner steel.......thanks

echo8287
01-31-2004, 09:57 PM
My Powermax 1000 does burn a wider cut than some of the smaller units do. I was even wondering if I could buy some smaller tip to cut a smaller kerf. It works great on 3/8" steel(clean cut) but that is the thickest stuff I've cut with it. At the Miller road show they were using a small unit on some 20 gauge sheet metal burning little pictures. Those units burnt a small thin kerf. I would guess the kerf to be an 1/8" on the 1000,but I haven't actually measured it and I haven't changed the tip lately. David

Junk
01-31-2004, 11:06 PM
Pat, I would vote for the 1000 in a heartbeat. Enough so that if you don't want it and would be willing to pass along the info, I'd pick it up myself. That is an awesome machine. Used one for about 2 weeks at a part time job a month ago and it cut through the stuff like butter and super clean. I was very impressed.

Pat
02-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Echo8287,

I would be very interested if you find out any info about possible smaller tips. I checked Hypertherms website and did not see any optional tips............thanks

Junk,

Thanks for the information and your experience with the Hypertherm. I am gonna get the thing (sorry) but I should probably have my sanity evaluated. I have had the 375 for approx 5 months and have not used it, and now I want something bigger..........where dose it all end.

Wyoming
02-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Pat, If the Powermax 1000 is like the 900 it replaced...and I don't know if it is or not...you should be able to purchase two different size tips for the gun. One for small gage work and the regular head for the max rating work. I would have to dig through my consumables to be sure, but I believe there was another part inbound of the tip that needed swapping out as well as the tip.

Robert D
02-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Pat...do you have the web site for Hypertherm...Thanks Robert

Pat
02-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Robert D,

This should get you there www.hypertherm.com

Robert D
02-01-2004, 08:07 PM
thanks.................................