View Full Version : PowerMax 45 100% over

specter
01-14-2010, 09:19 PM
This one is by LarryO from the Land Down under

05-11-2009, 02:54 AM
LarryO
WeldingWeb Tradesman Join Date: Feb 2009

PowerMax 45 Rail cut/severance 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had another go before i throw the rail in the bin.
I would say that i got a slightly better result.
You may comment as to which you think is better.
This cut was hard on the tip ( lots of blow back ) but it still continues to work very good. ( will post some pics of tip soon ).
The fan in the machine didn't come on for that long and i didn't reach its duty cycle.
Only a short time for reposition and cut, cut, cut.
Had to use a fair bit of standoff at times as the torch would not fit at certain angles.
It amazes me how this little machine performs. Now i know how far i can go before i need to drag the oxy out.
I remembered the tape measure this time ( both metric and imperial for international compliance ).
This machine easily outperforms its rated severance and cut.
If anyone is considering buying a plasma cutter, consider the PowerMax.
I don't work for Hypertherm.
Attached Images

(Specter 01/14/10 :Yes I could have posted my doing 2" bar stock but LarryO does a much better presentation cutting through a railway track.:) )

LarryO
01-15-2010, 03:37 AM
Ha, ive still got that piece laying around. Should have another go because ive always reckoned that it will do better if i start the thick piece from the bottom rather than the top.
anyway................

I'm still running that same tip.
Is had considerable cut time.
I promised Specter that i would change it in the New Year:drinkup: and i did a few cuts last weekend with the still the original, as fitted when brought, tip.

I will change it this weekend and post up some pics of a tip with 12 months or so cutting.
Not every weekend do i use it, but i'll use it at least every second.
I do a few jobs that i use the plasma on quite extensively, and will post up a couple of pics of the some of the cuts i make to give people an idea on what miles this tip has done. Plus cutting that rail section twice.

I'll post back with pics in a new thread.

specter
01-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Larry try cleaning the consumables with a brass brush and they'll last longer. Also want to keep any spray back off the tips standoff as that will affect performance. I only change mine when it really affects performance. My PowerMax 45 is used only in my farm repair shop and those cuts do not have to be cnc quality. I have also been doing alot with the gouging tips gouging off welds and cracks in backhoe/excavator rock buckets. just prior to welding the cracks.

DSW
01-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Larry before you clean or change the tip how about you do this for us. Take a piece and cut it with the old consumables. Then leaving everthing else alone, put in the new ones and do another cut on the same piece and compare the two. I'm a bit curious.

LarryO
01-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Larry before you clean or change the tip how about you do this for us. Take a piece and cut it with the old consumables. Then leaving everthing else alone, put in the new ones and do another cut on the same piece and compare the two. I'm a bit curious.

Now why didnt i think of that. Good one DSW.:drinkup:

That would be a good test.
The reson i am changing is i think the cut quality is changing.

I will also do a part cut with both tips to show the width of the kerf.

Got some 10 or 12 mm plate that should show it well.

LarryO
01-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Larry try cleaning the consumables with a brass brush and they'll last longer. Also want to keep any spray back off the tips standoff as that will affect performance. I only change mine when it really affects performance. My PowerMax 45 is used only in my farm repair shop and those cuts do not have to be cnc quality. I have also been doing alot with the gouging tips gouging off welds and cracks in backhoe/excavator rock buckets. just prior to welding the cracks.

Clean and inspect the tip after each big cut session.
I always(98%) of the time use standoff and a slight angle for peirce.
Im changing the tip because the kerf is getting wider. Not ideal for some of the stuff i do.

will be back with some pics in the next day or so.