PDA

View Full Version : Regulators . . . .

Markopolo
01-31-2004, 11:51 PM
OK....here we go with another pain-in-the-*** question from the undertaker.......
I've got Victor medium-duty 250 series regulators.
I'd like to up-grade to 450 series (heavy-duty) regulators.
Is this a waste of money, or are they really better ?

fla jim
01-31-2004, 11:59 PM
Marko;
for what your doing I'd use the money and go to HF in Ocala and get a 150 buck bandsaw:laugh:
Seriously . What do you intend to cut?
I've got a Harris mediun duty outfit, That my oldest son won at A "VICA" competition years ago and gave to me.
Aside from the sentimental value, its given me good service over the years.:blob3:
I even have a rosebud tip for it.

Franz
02-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Dammit, this is gonna cost me cantankerous points, but I gotta agree with Jim.
Unless you have plans for a bigger torch, and lots of cutting going to bigger regulators is a waste of money.

Markopolo
02-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Well Jim....that's what I need to know.....I have Victor equptment because that's what the guy at the welding store sold me.
I've been "surfing the web" and find that there's Harris, Smith, and other makers out there. From what I see....Smith (apparently).....
is the ultimate very best. I'm a sentimental ol' fool (and i'm not THAT old)....so i'm
kinda' partial to Victor......I was just thinking I might up-grade.
To be honest.....what i've got works just fine for what I use it for.
But.....you can't get down on me for wanting to "better" myself !

Markopolo
02-01-2004, 12:25 AM
FRANZ....(buddy ol' pal).......I'll give you my "Cantankerous" points for your opinion.
One thing I learned LONG ago....."Listen to old people"...
the experience you get is priceless ! :)

fla jim
02-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Just because I have Harris, doesn't mean I don't think Victor is better. If I was buying a set I think I would go with Victor. But as I said I got mine from my Son.

Franz
02-01-2004, 02:13 AM
I've got Smith, and Purok and Harris and Turbotorch and Prestolite.
I've got more torches than I can use at one time.

Markopolo
02-01-2004, 02:23 AM
I've got a Victor because that's what the guy at the welding store said I needed. (remember, I AM still a little bit of a "newbie") :D
The Victor equptment I have has given me great service....
no trouble at all ! As I gain experience, and start to make up my own mind on certain things, I just wonder if I shouldn't up-grade my gas equptment ?

Franz
02-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Marko there has been one hell of a lot of steel cut and welded with Victor torches for as long as I can remember. Why do you feel a need to upgrade? Is your torch undersized for the work you're doing?

Markopolo
02-01-2004, 02:47 AM
Not at all ! . . .I'm perfectly happy with my set-up.
I was just thinking that ...you know....on a scale of "good, better, best".......I've got a "better".....would it be worth it to go to "best" ?
What are the advantages ?....(must be a reason those "best"
outfits cost more).....?

Franz
02-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Marko, have you been studyin on how to upgrade widows from a metal casket to a scarcofigus again?
The major difference is that the Best model is designed to support a cutting or rosebud torch 8 hours a day and yours isn't dsigned to do that day after day. The Best model is probably a 2 stage regulator that will deliver more cfm to the torch.

Markopolo
02-01-2004, 03:15 AM
So what you're saying is, if i use my torch for just cutting & welding once in a while...(maybe a few hours a week)....
the medium-duty outfit is good enough ?

Franz
02-01-2004, 03:22 AM
I seriously doubt you can get that system to break a sweat the way you're using it.
Of course, if you have money burnin a hole in yer pocket, there are plenty of other toys you probably don't have yet.

Charles Brown
02-02-2004, 04:21 AM
Victor is a well resprected brand in the OA torch and regulator business. Depending on the model level, Victor traditionally qualifies as being in your so-called "best" catagory that you mentioned, especially on the west coast. In fact, when we say "I'm going to make a xerox copy" when we really just mean a "photo" copy... that is the same thing said about the Victor "Journeyman" when it comes to the "best" OA outfit used in the trade. Except that they don't even have to use the word "Victor," they just say "journeyman" and everyone knows that they are referring to the Victor.

But that is on the West Coast.

On the East Coast, Harris is the name rigour.

But that is in the old days... and could be simply due to a difference in each companies marketing muscle between the regions.

If you are really after the "BEST" regulators (and you'll never get a lecture from me about wanting the theoretical best just for the sake of it... even Shakespeare's King Lear said "Reason not the need"), then as Franz already mentioned, you'll want to look for two-stage regulators. They are more accurate in delivering the desired flow pressure regardless of the residual contents pressure resident in the cylinder, without readjustment of the regulator as the cylinder gets really low. This feature enables one to get slightly more use out of a cylinder fill, especially more Oxygen.

Victor, Harris, Smith... they all make two-stage regulators. Expect to pay about twice the price over the "good" and "better" single stage regulators.

Purox at one time was considered the bee's knees of OA outfits. ("bee's knees" is "better" than "best). Everything changes with the times. Now, I'd base my choice of regulators on their meeting current regultations.

Case in point: consider cutting torches. Used to be no flashback arrestors per se, they were further upline, at the regulators. Then add-on arrestors were made available. Then they were built in at the torch inlet valves, to keep the hoses safe. Now, they are no longer built in at the torch valves, because the gas isn't mixed until right at the head, and these are the only torches permitted at the oil, gas, and chemical refineries today. (Distinguished by the three pipes leading up to the tip, as opposed to the traditional two).

It is often said that they don't make things like they used to. Sometimes that's too bad, but other times, it could be a good thing. What was once the "best" may no longer be... which kind of puts a damper on metalmen's folklore.