PDA

View Full Version : Hobart Handler 175 Wire Feed Problem

nbc
03-10-2010, 01:26 AM
The wire feed motor shuts off shortly after I strike the arc. It recovers after about 30 seconds. Looks like the motor protection circuit is triggered. The voltage on the motor drops to zero immediately when this happens. Power supply is OK. Arc is still OK. There is no protection threshold adjustment for the feed motor. Shortly before recovery, the motor will turn very slowly for a few seconds. Runs fine, and continuously when I do not strike the arc. Wire moves freely in the cable and gun assembly, so there does not seem to be excessive drag on the wire, though that could increase once the arc is struck.
Seems like there's sensitivity to noise generated by the arc, or perhaps a grounding problem associated to the generators (unlikely). I'm running off either of two generators. Same problem with both.
Any ideas?
NBC

Boostinjdm
03-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Some welders shut down power if you short to the tip. Don't know if the handler does or not, but might be worth checking for dingle berries.

You said running off a genny. Have you tried plugging it in to the wall to see if the problem still occurs?