PDA

View Full Version : HH 120 repair ??

netman
03-10-2010, 07:18 AM
My dad gave me his HH120 about six months ago. He bought it new in or around 95/96. When I bought a new liner for this welder the guy at the LWS said it was a true Hobart 120.Well a couple weeks ago my garage circuit breaker started shutting down even when I was just trying to feed wire and not welding. I called my dad over to take a look and the HH120 started smoking when running the wire feed and when dad tried to strke a arc it would not strike.
I called the LWS about repairing the unit and he gave me a well known repair shop in Evansville,Indana. I called the shop and the guy told me just guessing it was either a diode or board. He said the diode repair was cheap and the boad repair was around 200 bucks plus labor. at 60 bucks an hour. He said if it was the board it would be around 300 bucks to fix.
He said they would quote a repair price for free.
I'm gonna take it by there and see what the problem is and how much to fix. If its the board would you have it repaired? If I would have it repaired can it be bumped up in horsepower?
I'm saving my money up for a new 250 amp welder and should be getting one in May or June.
Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
Randy

netman
03-10-2010, 07:27 AM
I just happened to search 'hobart handler 120 repair' and my search found diodes on Ebay with info that if your breaker is blowing or low power you need to replace both diodes.
Is this something I should have done or a do it yourself kinda task? Thanks again
Randy

DSW
03-10-2010, 08:07 AM
If its the board would you have it repaired? If I would have it repaired can it be bumped up in horsepower?
I'm saving my money up for a new 250 amp welder and should be getting one in May or June.

Randy I wouldn't spend $300 to fix that myself most likely, especially if I was saving up for a 250 amp class mig and planned to get one in 2 or 3 months. You are real close to the price of a used 110v machine and not that far from a new one with more power like an HH140. I doubt the board will have any change in the output of that machine. I believe that machine has a transformer, and that will be what determines the output power.

You might give these thoughts some consideration.

You might keep your eyes open for a used/ dead HH120 that you could use for parts. I picked up a cheap "parts" machine for my original mig near Christmas. The $40 bucks was worth the gamble, since I knew what part was bad on mine (contactor) and the other had a dead feeder, but the contactor worked. My machine sat broken in my buddies old barn for years however, mostly because I'd already gotten a much better 220v Miller machine and wasn't really looking for parts.

The 2nd thought is maybe you can find an old timer that knows electronics and can repair the board cheaper. Most board repairs are plug and play nowdays. The shop will just pull your's and toss it and plug in a new one. I've got a friend who's an old airforce tech and used to do electronics repairs back when the "repaired" boards, not replaced them. If you can find someone like that you might be able to cut that repair cost to $100-150, maybe less. I've seen him repair expensive TV's most would have just trashed when they quit working. The trick will be to find someone, who's most likely in their late 50's or 60's, who'll do the work.