PDA

View Full Version : Updated TubeNotcher / Tube Miter Software

zipzit
03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi, I've seen other tube notcher software, but thought a few enhancements might be cool. I'm coming from a bicycle frame building background, but thought this may have some use for other folks involved in general metal fabrication work. The intent of course is that you type in your dimensions, print out a full size template, cut that to size, and tape it to your work. Yes, its not as cool as owning a machine to do the same thing, and it takes more time to hand cut and file a joint.. but think about the money you will be saving. You can save up for that inverter TIG machine you've always dreamed of owning. I will say, what happens to your fancy miter machine when you have to cut a very obtuse angle, say around 15 degrees or so? Good luck with that. The thing does a great job, takes up no storage space in the shop and its free.... but I digress...

Software is located at http://cobratorch.net/ttn_dxf/

The program is written in Java, and runs in your browser. There is no software to download (except possibly the latest version of Java... ) The system will self detect and correct your version. If you are on an Apple / Mac or Linux box, you may have to refer to the "About TubeNotcher+" menu choice for Java upgrade instructions. That link is at http://cobratorch.net (http://cobratorch.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=59)

Enhancements:
--Distance reference lines added, so you can predict perfect tubing cut length.
--Alignment marks to aid in tape up.
--All dimensions shown right on the template, so you can figure out what is what.
--I added both inner and outer tube cut lines. If you are brazing and need an accurate fit, you don't want to cut off material that strengthens your product.

See photo 1 for typical output of a simple joint.

Sometimes the joint is offset, or the cut tube is larger than the base tube. I've programmed it to accomodate that.

See photo 2 for an offset view.

On a bicycle frame, some folks are creating unique tubular reinforcements. I thought I'd add an option to those reinforements by adding decorative tube ends. This might also work well for the ends of your tubing projects? You can program a variety of shapes and sizes.

See photo 3 for a decorative tube end sample.

zipzit
03-24-2010, 04:26 PM
TubeNotcher continued...

Finally I created an option to make tubular gussets / reinforcements. Some of the guys making bicycles are using tubular gussets for frame reinforcements. See the bronze gussett in the upper right hand corner of the fourth photo? That's a current design trend on many BMX bikes and heavy duty off road mountain bikes today. The program includes photos to aid in data entry for the gusset screen.

Photos 4, 5... Gussett design.

I did my prototype testing with some of the bicycle frame design and custom manufacturing guys. One of the things they really wanted was an option to printout to a .DXF file. For anybody using CAD, this will import directly to CAD. That would be very useful if you are making cutouts in very large tubing, and the printout is too large for a standard sheet of paper. You could import the data to CAD and use a plotter printer for accurate output. Note the DXF output button on the first two photos.

Does anybody have any ideas on improvement or enhancements? (I'm a way better computer geek than I am welder, so don't worry.. no inclusions, or penetration problems here. ) I'm always soliciting new ideas and any other feedback. Other comments? (Oh.. and one thing I am working on is an option for data entry in inches...)

thanks,
zip

forhire
03-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Very cool. I've been playing with this tonight. I printed a few to try tomorrow. Now I need to build something with notched tubing.

DNC
03-25-2010, 02:26 AM
Take a look at 'www.pipesaddlelayout.com too. It has a page where you enter pipe OD, ID, and angle and you instantly have layout lengths to either mark your pipe with or make a template. There is also pages for pipe miters and rolling offsets.

DNC

Aquafire
02-08-2011, 12:41 AM
I haven't yet sprung for a NotchMaster, so for now, this is awesome. Absolutely BRILLIANT work!

Skeluhtor
02-08-2011, 10:19 AM
This is great. What do you think is best for cutting the patterns out of the tube?

zipzit
02-09-2011, 07:49 PM
This is great. What do you think is best for cutting the patterns out of the tube?

Not chain drilling, ha. I'd use pneumatic cutoff tool or hack saw to get close, then finish up with half round file. --zip

Pillguy
03-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Someone should make this a sticky note at top of main thread