PDA

View Full Version : My consumable life

jdh239
05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Well, I think the air I have going into my powermax 1000 is pretty dry. I have 2 filters on the line.

Anyway, my consumable life in general seems to be fine with one exception--the tips. It sure seems like I go through tips fast. Here are a couple of pictures of my tip (next to a new one) after very little cutting. Is this normal? I assume as long as the hole is still round in shape I am good to keep cutting with it?

Your input would be appreciated.

jimcolt
05-19-2010, 05:34 PM
The damage on your nozzle (some call it a tip) is likely due to blowback on the nozzle from piercing too close to the plate. Notice the heat discoloration that goes back into the barrel of the nozzle....this is not normal, and is usually caused when molten metal blows up between the shield and the nozzle.....which effectively shorts these two components together, and creates a path for a phenomenon called double arcing....which is an arc that travels from the electrode to the nner bore of the nozzle (causing the heat discoloration) and then jumps to the shield and to the plate.

If you are cutting by hand....ensure that piercing is done carefully to ensure that the blowback slag angles away from the torch. If machine cutting....follow the specs in the Hypertherm manual on the "machine cutting" setup charts (use the machine cut settings even if you are using a hand torch for machine cutting). These charts will provide proper pierce height as well as pierce delay times for each given thickness.

Are you hand cutting or machine cutting? What thickness and type of material?

I just finished a 3/8" cutting job that had 122 parts with a total of 408 pierces.....it was done with my Powermax45. The nozzle already had over 100 starts, and is still cutting good at the end of the job. Attached are a couple of pics. First pic is showing the torch partway thorugh the nest of parts on a 4 x 4 plate of 3/8", the second and third pics are showing the edge quality after over 500 pierces.

Jim

jdh239
05-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Hand cutting with a drag tip. Mostly 1/4"