PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Champion 10K

Bob Warner
05-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Tonight our power went out and I fired up the Champion 10K to run the fans and TV so the wife could see the American Idol final show.

This is the first time I used this to power the house. I have used it in the past to run tools with no problem.

The welder is a couple years old but only has about 100 hours on it. Everything works fine if welding and running power tools.

Well I had some problems. I previously made a dead man cord that plugs into the 220v outlet in the shop and back feeds into the house. I know all about the bad safety issues with this but that is what I did as many others do.

Unfortunately I did not get much help from the generator. I killed all breakers for big stuff like the AC and water heater.

I still had trouble powering the small stuff. I had two fans and the TV running along with the satellite dish. That is it but the TV had a hard time staying on.

I checked the voltage and it was 89 volts on each of the legs. Something was definitely wrong but I have no idea what

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Thanks

duaneb55
05-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Did the unit act like it was under a heavy load? Did you remember to open the main breaker on your service entrance?

weldersales
05-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Was the fine control turned all the way to max? If each leg was the same, sounds like the generator might be working ok, how about with no load? We have had unexpected problems in cases like this with forgotten heavy loads like a dryer or compressor lurking about - say a freezer or air compressor in the shop.

Bob Warner
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Did the unit act like it was under a heavy load? Did you remember to open the main breaker on your service entrance?

It was revved up above the Idle. When I turned on the 50A Circuit Breaker it idled up and the inside lights came on. It stayed idled up the entire time it was running. Yes, Prior to starting up the generator, I killed the "Main" breakers in the house and all breakers for the big things.

Was the fine control turned all the way to max? If each leg was the same, sounds like the generator might be working ok, how about with no load? We have had unexpected problems in cases like this with forgotten heavy loads like a dryer or compressor lurking about - say a freezer or air compressor in the shop.

Fine control was turned to max. I did not test it without a load, It was raining and I just shut it off and came inside after the power came back on. I will go back out and check it later today after I finish up some things I have to get done.

lincweld
05-28-2010, 08:48 AM
I worked for a refrigeration company that had those hobart champion welders. One guy bought a nice bosch radio and plugged it into one of the hobart welders. The welder fried the radio within the first day. Not sure why it fried it. I ran my radio off my miller bobcat 250 for 2 years with no problems. I recently burned the radio up when I plugged it into my SA 200. After burning up 3 grinders and a radio Ive learned if it doesn't say AC/DC on the appliance- dont plug it into a dc source. Which brings me back to your hobart/TV problem. Being that the hobart champion is a "economy" machine, did miller not put some kind of rectifier or diode (im not electrically inclined) into the machine, causing a "dirty" electrically current giving your TV problems ? I ran our TV off the miller BC 250 over the winter when the power was out, without problems. Ive seen how the hobart champs can cause problems with smaller appliances- just my 2 cents.

Bob Warner
05-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Not sure and have not had time to go out and run it again. Life is getting in the way of work.

I will try to get out there tomorrow and see what is going on. I will post what I find out here so others may be able to help.

For an "Economy" machine, this thing welds really good for me. I just don't use it every day.

John R
07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Did you ever figure out the problem?