PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for a 230V thunderbolt XL

avowelder
03-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Howdy

Im trying to figure out how to wire the new machine.....

The welder will be located in a shed which is 110 feet from the main breaker box of the house. I have run 2, 6 ga hots in the conduit and I left the two other wires (12 ga neutral and ground.)

I am going to install a subpanel in the shed.

First off, I think I will need a larger neutral line running from the shed to the main breaker box in the house.....?

The other question is regarding the recepticle to plug the welder into. Three prongs, Hot, hot, neutral is what it says on the recepticle. No ground?

The owners manual calls for two hots and a ground.....

Im confused.

Thanks for the help

Roy Hodges
03-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Howdy

Im trying to figure out how to wire the new machine.....

The welder will be located in a shed which is 110 feet from the main breaker box of the house. I have run 2, 6 ga hots in the conduit and I left the two other wires (12 ga neutral and ground.)

I am going to install a subpanel in the shed.

First off, I think I will need a larger neutral line running from the shed to the main breaker box in the house.....?

The other question is regarding the recepticle to plug the welder into. Three prongs, Hot, hot, neutral is what it says on the recepticle. No ground?

The owners manual calls for two hots and a ground.....

Im confused.

Thanks for the help- The machine only requires 2 wires to work. 2 hots. the"neutral=ground" in single phase
220-230-240 volts, the two hots work out of phase from each other , the neutral or ground is just for safety