PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Cutter Cup wear (loosing insulation)

Kirby W. Peil
10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and have a question...

Recently purchased a Hobart AirForce 700i Plasma Cutter and am working on a job where I am scarfing 3/4" fillet welds that attach 3/4" steel plates onto a large Hydraulic Cylinder.

Due to working close to the cut material I have burned through two cups in 2 hours.

Any suggestions on technique or is this a cost of doing business.

$20 a cup is adding up quickly.

Thank you in advance for your input,

Kirby

forhire
10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Are you using gouging consumables? My Thermal Dynamic torch specifies a shielded cup for heavy gouging. The only real difference that I see are some holes outside the nozzle that push molten material away from the torch.

Looking at this link you should be using a 192203 Gouge Shield and 177878 Gouge Tip.
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/accessories/plasma/

Kirby W. Peil
10-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Hello forhire,
Thanks for the quick response,

I jumped onto the Hobart website and pulled out by new Owners Manual on the 700i.
In comparing I found that the website references the ICE- series Torchs (with the Gouging Cups)

My unit has a HP-70 Torch and there is only one Cup & Tip referenced with no Gouging recomendation.

I will be visiting my Welding supplier tomorrow and have them call Hobart on this issue.

Thank you for getting me up to speed.

Best Regards,
Kirby

mechanic416
10-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi Kirby,
Hobart started to use a cheaper torch to cut down on "there cost"!
They used to use the Miller ICE 40C or the ICE 55C but now I think they use a Trafimet torch at 1/3 the cost of the Miller and have less consumables to stock.
I am not sure if they still do but Miller made Hobart and Hypertherm made the torchs for Miller.
Thats why I wouldn't sell my Airforce 625.
Now don't get me wrong my HF 95136 has a Trafimet S45 torch and it works great and with the extra long electrode and tip I can gouge with it. Not as good as the 625 but it works.
Trafimet is always coming out with new stuff so they might have more consumables for your HP-70 torch soon. Good luck, George

Wm McNett
02-18-2011, 05:36 PM
I sent Hobart a question on this subject a few weeks ago, also asked about switching to an ICE torch which has the parts available, and received a response today.

"The HP series is made by Trafimet. As far as changing the torch to an ICE torch goes, you will not be able to switch the torch as the machine code is optimized for the Trafimet torch and the machine will not function correctly."

So now we go off to Trafimet to find out which of their torch is the HP-70 torch.

I do know that the electrode and tip pictured on Harbor Freights web site looks very similar to whats in the HP-70, I've even thought about buying some just to see if they fit.

Sent messages to both sales at trafimetusa and sales at flopower (the Trafimet USA distributor) both messages were returned as "[I]User unknown[I]"

jimcolt
02-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Hypertherm manuafctures the ICE torches for Miller.....and you are correct that Hobarts switched to the Italian made Trafimet torch a couple of years ago as a cost saving measure. The Trafimet is a non sheilded torch design, and typically provides dramatically shorter consumable parts life as compared to the ICE series torches.

I suspect that the Hobart versions of the Trafimet torches have different dimensions on the consumable parts....so you will likely have to buy replacement parts from a Hobart dealer.

Jim

mechanic416
02-19-2011, 05:03 PM
You can put a Hypertherm Pac123T or a Ice 40T torch on the Hobart 700 if you know how to do it. But don't think Hobart or Trafimet will tell you that you can. The 700 is just a updated 625 with a cheaper torch. I have a Harbor Freight 95136 with a 50' Ice50 on it and it works great.

Wm McNett
02-20-2011, 01:14 AM
It'd be real nice if it had a plug in torch and an available machine torch :-)
I guess I'll just have to buy another plasma cutter for the CNC table I'm building ;-)

mechanic416
02-20-2011, 08:47 AM
You can change yours over like I did with this one for a customer.

Wm McNett
02-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Received a reply today from Tim Gage, National Sales Manager, TRAFIMET USA
"Hello,

Yes we do manufacture the HP-70 torch for Hobart, our model number is S-45 and I have enclosed the PDF for reference. How may we help you today?

Tim Gage
National Sales Manager
TRAFIMET USA | 2237 West 77th Street | Hialeah, FL 33016 USA
toll free 1 800 535 1185 | cel 1 786 360 9291
www.trafimetusa.com
tim.gage@trafimetusa.com
http://trafimetgroup.com

But that can't be correct because the Hobart electrode has female threads and the Trafimet has male threads.

mechanic416
02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Thats nice they don't even know what torch is on what cutter:dizzy:

If you want to have the torch changed PM me

ccawgc
02-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Seen it before, The OEM orders their torches a little different than the others, so you have to buy the consumables from them. Consumables are where the long term profits are.

Wm McNett
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Bought a cup and tip for a Trafimet, Northern Industrial Replacement Torch Cover for Plasma Cutter (Item# 164610), Model# 2.20.04.901 & Northern Industrial Replacement Nozzles for Plasma Cutter (Item# 164610) — 3-Pk., Model# 2.20.04.902
The cup looked like it would work on the HP-70 but the threads on the HP-70 are about 0.030" larger so you cant screw it on.
The tips will work but the electrodes are another story.