PDA

View Full Version : Help with lift table

mark12
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I have been put in charge of converting a lift table that was used for pallets into a lift table for commercial zero turn mowers. The table has a sticker that says max cap is 3000 lbs. My plan was to build a square frame, set it on the lift and weld it to the table. The mowers weigh 1300 lbs. I need it to be 60 inches wide by 84 inches long. The circle is 40 inches across and is raised 3 inches, and the table is 48 inches long and 20 inches wide at the frame. I figured I would just use some 3inch square tube but after calling a few places I found out that 3in square tube is very expensive. What would be a good second option(affordable and still strong enough)? Also how would you guys build the frame to attach to the table? I took some pics of the table below.

forhire
11-03-2010, 02:52 AM
3" square tube is likely heavier than needed. The 3" square tube with a thin wall would likely work and save some money. Have you priced 3" c-channel? This is a quick drawing to see if it would work. You might want to add some cross bracing (I'm lazy). In any case the mechanism will need to be bolted to the floor of course. Interesting project, can't wait to see how it turns out. What are you decking it with?

mark12
11-10-2010, 01:27 AM
I went with 3/16 c-channel. At some point I will need to weld cross bracing....I will have to weld only using the top and bottom lip of the c-channel, do I just weld it and go or is there something I could do to get a more solid weld since I will not be able to weld to the inside of the c-channel?

forhire
11-10-2010, 02:29 AM
I went with 3/16 c-channel. At some point I will need to weld cross bracing....I will have to weld only using the top and bottom lip of the c-channel, do I just weld it and go or is there something I could do to get a more solid weld since I will not be able to weld to the inside of the c-channel?

I'd notch the c-channel for your cross braces. This will allow you to weld the inside in addition to the the upper and lower lips. You may be able to get by without notching and just weld the upper and lower lip. It's your decision.