PDA

View Full Version : Hobart 10k Champ Welder Parts Source

stevewm
11-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Yesterday I swapped out a seldom used cargo trailer for a trailer mounted Hobart 10k Champion five years old with only 75 hours on it and a "known" bad battery. It started right up on a jump, welded great, put out good 120v and 240v and all seemed well. I went to check out the battery today, pulled it and put it on a charger. It gave every indication that it charges okay. Before I put it back in, I decided to pull the hood, and when I did I found mud dauber wasp nests all over inside including a rather large one on the field controller circuit board. In the upper right corner of the board I noticed what I think is a 3/4" diameter disc capacitor that was fried. I am assuming this must be in the 12 v battery charging circuit.

Does anyone know of a source for a new board for a reasonable price or does this come from Hobart alone? I haven't looked but I am also wondering about the feasibility of replacing the fried part/parts on the board. I haven't gotten the board out yet so these are preliminary thoughts.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

weldersales
11-13-2010, 08:18 PM
This is a Miller welder with a Hobart name. In the Champion 10000 they used two different boards, I think. My guess is that the capacitor you refer to is a varistor, a protection device - just a guess as a capacitor seldom appears 'fried', but the varistors do. If you will send picture, board number, or serial number of machine (takes longer) by PM, we will try to help. weldersales

stevewm
11-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Miller by another color, huh? Sounds like my tractor. I have a tractor that was made for John Deere but also sold by the Korean factory but it is red.

Just checked the welder, It shows the Stock # as 50034, and the board shows an assembly number of 203655.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

weldersales
11-13-2010, 08:48 PM
I think your stock number is missing one digit. On the board, it runs about 321, exchange about 278, or repair about 135. I will check on the part here in the next couple of days, but a blown capacitor or varistor will not keep the machine from generating. weldersales

stevewm
11-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi, thanks for the pricing. What is the turn-around time for a repair? I am thinking about buying the refurb board - is there a core charge? The Stock number[B] is[ missing a digit. The actual is 500434.

Steve

stevewm
11-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey Weldersales,

An luck on sourcing a circuit board for this machine?

Steve