PDA

View Full Version : layout tool

heimbuckwelding
01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
hello I have a question for yall my dad had a tool for picket layout yrs ago I bought one bout 8 yrs ago and have lost it but I can not seem to find one any where it almost looks like a foldable baby gate (the criss cross pattern) it was called a space rite tool and it made it so your pickets came out even with out having to use your tape or a jig it was wonderful if any of you know what I am talking about or know where to get on please let me know I am tired of doing it the old fashioned way wasting to much time thanks for any help

frieed
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Having done a few picket fences, here is the tool I made for perfect picket spacing.

I bought a 100' piece of elastic cord and marked the minimum on-center spacing I wanted between pickets onto the elastic cord ( every 6" for my use). Fastened a mark at one end to the frame of the fence, laid the cord on top down to the other end, then stretched the cord to the next nearest mark. Transfer marks to the fence then install pickets on the marks using a level to keep plumb. Results in perfectly spaced pickets with no measuring...

Bob
01-10-2011, 09:36 PM
If your welding your pickets inside the top and bottom rails here is another way that is very good. I buy prepunched bar from king at the spacing I want and the width of the rail I'm using. I cut slots into the punched holes in a V shape from the out side. You can clamp it to your rails and drop the pickets into the slots. It will not only space it but center it on the rail as well.

heimbuckwelding
01-10-2011, 11:37 PM
those are both very good ideas i will have to try them thanks guys

mrmikey
01-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Bought one a few years back off e-bay http://tinyurl.com/4qypevr works great.....Mike

tessdad
01-11-2011, 07:41 AM
This is a very interesting online tool:
http://www.virginiarailingandgates.com/calculations_picketspace.asp

But, what I think you were thinking of is metal with rivets, it used to be advertised in the "Fabricator". I have one, but am unable to remember who I bought it from. There is no name on it. I will search in some old magazines for a name, there is no listing in the current issues.

mrmikey
01-11-2011, 04:43 PM
A picfrom the abve link:

heimbuckwelding
01-12-2011, 01:05 AM
mrmikey that is pretty close to what it looks like how far can u spread yours apart like what is the max spacing you can get with it. tessdad i thank you for trying to find the info

mrmikey
01-12-2011, 05:19 AM
It's at work now and I'm not, I'll try and remember this morning to check it out. I got a good memory but it's very short :D....Mike

Vern Wilson
01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Classic iron from California made a picket spacing tool. No longer in business. Orlean ornamental makes one but it is not very good quality. I bought one but it did not compare to Classic iron. Have not found anyone who makes them yet.
ironman@ironanvil.net Vern Wilson