PDA

View Full Version : unexperienced welder

iroc
04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I am new to the welding scene. I have a Lincoln Power Mig 255C and most of the welding I would do is mostly light stuff like from say 1/16" to 1/4" plate. Most things I would be welding has slight mill scale and maybe a little rust. There are so many choices out there for wire I need help determining what to use. Also what size wire should I use? What type of gas? Sorry to ask these simple questions but I am new to all this and I have to learn somewhere. I have enrolled in a night school for beginers for welding but classes won't start until this fall, so hope all you out there can put up with all my stupid questions. I sincerly appreciate everyone's patience and understanding. Thanks to all of you!!!:)

TEK
04-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Welcome iroc. Do some searching and the answers will be found. There are a lot of threads with ? just like yours.

iroc
04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks TEK I appreciate it. Being new to this forum also, I didn't know there were other posts. I will certainly check them out. Again, Thanks!!!

Roy Hodges
04-24-2006, 07:19 PM
I would suggest .030 70s6 & your choice of 11 pound roll or the bigger 30 lb.
take your choice . your machine is mostly similar to my linc sp250 , except mine is computerized . as to gas, for steel you can weld uncritical welds with staight co2, like the muffler shops do , or , if you don't mind the EXPENSE , go with some mixture of argon &co2. Most of my welding with the mig is with straight co2.it is hotter than argon & MUCH cheaper .

TxRedneck
04-24-2006, 08:53 PM
If you do choose argon, stick to C25 which is 75% argon. It welds much nicer than CO2, however, there is a cost factor involved as stated.

iroc
04-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the imput, I sincerly appreciate all the great help!!!