PDA

View Full Version : What size shielding gas cylinder?

rusted
02-17-2004, 04:22 AM
I have a MM200. It's a 250 amp machine, approx equivalent to a MM251. I will be doing the vast majority of my welding on 1/4" and below mild steel, short circuit.

Can I get by with the 40cu ft cylinder, or will I be running to the gas supplier constantly? As soon as I am up and running, I will be spending all my spare time practicing.

There is a large price difference, and while I would save money in the long run with the 80, I need to keep costs low right now. Therefore, if a 40 will suit me, I can use the $50 price difference for other things.

vipermanz
02-17-2004, 06:06 AM
80 is much better in my opinion, what are the refill price diffrences in your area?? i pay about $23 for 80cf of argon here

cutter
02-17-2004, 07:02 AM
Rusted,

Vipermanz is asking you a really pertinent question; it will probably cost you the
same amount to refill the 40 as it will the 80 because of the minimum charge the suppliers
have to have to cover their costs. So unless you have some sort of cherry deal,
you'll be wasting money almost from the git-go. False economy is what keeps us po' folk in the hole.

rusted
02-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by cutter
Rusted,

Vipermanz is asking you a really pertinent question; it will probably cost you the
same amount to refill the 40 as it will the 80 because of the minimum charge the suppliers
have to have to cover their costs. So unless you have some sort of cherry deal,
you'll be wasting money almost from the git-go. False economy is what keeps us po' folk in the hole.

Ok, I'll have to take that into consideration.

Thank you for pointing that out, that's an obvious miss!