PDA

View Full Version : Hobart Ironman 230 spool

trlman
10-10-2015, 10:02 AM
I know this has probably been beat to death but I haven't been on here for quite sometime. I have an Ironman 230, love the unit. I just sold my tig, never used it but still want to have aluminum capability so I'm looking at the spool gun for my Hobart. Any real issues, good or bad with the spoolgun on this power supply? I have seen them priced from 600.00 - 800.00 so a really great deal doesn't exist as yet but want as much info as possible before I buy. Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can provide.

Dan
10-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Here's probably one of the better prices out there on the gun.

http://store.cyberweld.com/hodp35migsp.html

Personally, if I really had a need for aluminum, I'd much rather have a TIG unit over a spool gun.

wornoutoldwelder
10-10-2015, 10:52 PM
i just bought mine this week from Amazon for $581. The link Dan posted shows it for $496 from Cyberweld, but their pic doesn't match mine. They however use same model number so it prolly is same gun just cheaper.

As far as how does it weld?. I haven't tried it yet, but if it does as good as my smaller Hobart gun I'll be tickled.

trlman
10-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I saw the Cyberweld for 496.00 and the Amazon for 581.00, Tractor Supply gets 599.00. I watched the Welding Tip & Tricks video on the gun, seems to work pretty good but aluminum with a spool seems to need a lot of fiddling/fine tuning/favorable Gods to get it just right. I'll post when I get one and run some beads, thanks again for the help.

WWOW
10-22-2015, 12:47 AM
Hi Triman,

I have a Hobart Iron man 250 and love it. I then got a 25ft spool gun 3545 ( I think) so I would not have to put my rig on a lift. It worked about 25% of the time, mostly trying to get the feed pressure right. At one point it was so hard that it was like using a plasma arc it was cutting the alum by poking holes in it.

So my only advice, make sure you have the work on THICK Alum to justify getting the spool gun.

but who knows what will walk/drag itself into the shop.

If I have to sell my current IRonman to get a pluse rig, I would be interested in selling my spool gun, as it :)

Good luck

WWoW

cope
11-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Check with HTP. They have a clone gun that looks as good as the Miller/Hobart for less money.