PDA

View Full Version : Power Kraft DC 180 gas driven welder

BKahler
06-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi, first post to the forum.

I recently obtained a Wards Power Kraft DC gas driven welder. Its powered by a 2 cylinder Wisconsin engine. It looks very similar to the Lincoln DC-180-AS. One of the major differences is mine has a hand crank start and the DC-180-AS appears to have an electric start.

When I bought it the previous owner said he couldn't get spark. I tinkered with the magneto a little and got spark. I then tried some starting fluid and it wanted to run. Next I checked out the carb and it was dry. Cleaned it a little and got gas into the bowl. I then tried another shot of ether and it fired right up and ran for about 15 seconds then abruptly stopped. I suspect junk in the carb.

Anyone on the forum have any info on these welders?

Thanks

Brad

BobC
06-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi BKahler,

If Lincoln made it in the USA, it should have a code number on it. Most code numbers are 4 digits long. If you can't find it on the nameplate, check for a number stenciled on the generator frame. You may have to remove sheet metal to see the stenciled number.

If you can locate a code number, you may be able to get a manual and parts list.

Can you post a picture?

You can also go to Lincoln's web site and request information via e-mail. www.lincolnelectric.com

Cheers,
Bob

BKahler
06-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. The welder did have a code number 3705. Using the link you provided I was able to find a manual that covers the welder portion. Its for the version that has the electric start option but other than that it looks to be the same.

Now I need to find the info on the Wisconsin engine and Zenith carb. The whole unit is in remarkably good shape. Looking forward to seeing how well it welds :blob1:

I've attached 3 photos of the welder.

Thanks again,

Brad

BobC
06-20-2006, 09:44 PM
That might be a Wisconsin THD engine, Here is a link to a parts list. Check for engine numbers to know for sure.

http://www.wisconsinmotors.com/partc/engines/thd_tjd.pdf

There is a place I heard of in Georgia that may have parts and manuals available.

Southeast Service and Supply 1721-E Oakbrook Drive Norcross, GA 30093 Phone (800) 241-4595.

Who knows, they may be able to get a carb. kit.

Before putting any money into that old machine, you will probably want to look it over very well. Sometimes rodents get into these old machines and chew-up the insulation.

Good luck!

BKahler
06-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Bob,

Thanks for the link! The motor is definitely a Wisconsin THD. Looking through the parts manual provided by the link I've now been able to identify which carb is installed on the engine and found a place on line to order from. Hopefully it will be in sometime this week.

The welder itself seems to be in remarkably good shape. I actually had it running last night but the carb was causing all kinds of problems. Hopefully the kit will take care of that. The engine sounds good.

I'll inspect the insides of the welder tonight to see how it looks. Now if I could just find an online copy of the service manual.

Thanks again for the link!

Brad

BobC
06-21-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm glad things are coming together.

When you had it running, did it produce any weld output? If not, you may have to flash it.

I have never seen a service manual for really old Lincoln equipment. You may be able to find one for the engine though.

BKahler
06-21-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm glad things are coming together.

When you had it running, did it produce any weld output? If not, you may have to flash it.

I have never seen a service manual for really old Lincoln equipment. You may be able to find one for the engine though.

I didn't have a chance to try the welder output. I had the welding leads removed and coiled up on the floor. I was thinking about shutting it down and hooking them up but it died due to fuel starvation. I stopped after that figuring to get the carb redone first.

Can you give me an idea what is involved in flashing the welder? I'm assuming it similar to polarizing a generator so it will charge properly.

I have found a parts manual for the engine and a co-worker located a pdf file of a service manual for a similar model that gives me enough info to work on the carb.

Brad

BobC
06-22-2006, 12:41 AM
As far as I know, "Flashing", and "Polarizing" are the same thing. It is done by passing DC current through the coils to magnetize the poles. I checked the wiring diagram in the Lincoln manual, and I think it could be done two different ways. With the engine stopped, or with the engine running.

This machine works quite differently than the Lincoln pipeliner machines that I am more familiar with, so if there is someone out there with better knowledge of this old gem, let me know if the procedure below looks right.

Flashing only needs to be done if there is no output from the welder.

With the engine stopped, remove the brush cover. Lift one set of brushes off of the commutator and apply DC voltage to the brush holders. Connect the positive to the positive brush holder and the negative to the negative brush holder. Leave it connected for only a few seconds. A 12VDC automotive battery should work well as a DC power source.

If you decide to flash it while the engine is running, I would highly recommend that you get a small diode to block any welding voltage from feeding back and damaging your DC power source. 80 volts or more feeding back into a 12 Volt battery could be dangerous!

It looks to me like you could touch a DC power source, with diode protection, to the weld cable connection studs while the machine is running. Positive to the positive stud and negative to the negative stud. That should fire off the generating process.

Good luck!