PDA

View Full Version : Hobart Mega-arc 300 related questions

canadianwelder1
06-20-2006, 08:10 PM
I bought an old Hobart Mega-Arc 300 w/Perkins diesel recently. The diesel runs well but there is no spark at the weld lead connectors. Why did I buy it? 500 bucks(Canadian$)! I figured that if I couldn't get it to weld, I could always use it as a generator for my recreational property. Before I take it to the local weld machine repair shop, I thought I'd try to figure it out on my own(half Scottish). So far, I have been unable to find anything on the internet about this fossil. Does anyone know where I could get a shop manual for it? Does anyone know about the "thermal Start" button - there is a separate button for the glow plug. If anyone has a schematic for this model, or something similar, maybe I could figure out what all the doo-hickeys are. Am I describing a boat anchor or is it worth fixing? Any tests I can perform to find out what is wonky? I plan to add a cv interface module, if I get it going. I'm a welder in the local shipyard & have a lot of experience in using portables, but no experience in fixing them. As we just had a lay-off, because our government would rather have our ferries built in Germany(bastards), I am hoping to save myself the cost of a repair shop, which I can't really afford right now. All/any advice is greatly appreciated!
Mike

coolbreeze79
07-17-2010, 06:07 PM
hi,got a mega arc pipeliner.think it is a 200 but the dial say 325.same problem noarc but power at the plug.aaah help !!!!!

drami69
11-27-2010, 04:24 PM
There is a place in toronto called hawks electric they bought all the old literature for hobart try them they can email you the manuals.

technoid
11-29-2010, 07:35 PM
I bought an old Hobart Mega-Arc 300 w/Perkins diesel recently. The diesel runs well but there is no spark at the weld lead connectors. Why did I buy it? 500 bucks(Canadian$)! I figured that if I couldn't get it to weld, I could always use it as a generator for my recreational property. Before I take it to the local weld machine repair shop, I thought I'd try to figure it out on my own(half Scottish). So far, I have been unable to find anything on the internet about this fossil. Does anyone know where I could get a shop manual for it? Does anyone know about the "thermal Start" button - there is a separate button for the glow plug. If anyone has a schematic for this model, or something similar, maybe I could figure out what all the doo-hickeys are. Am I describing a boat anchor or is it worth fixing? Any tests I can perform to find out what is wonky? I plan to add a cv interface module, if I get it going. I'm a welder in the local shipyard & have a lot of experience in using portables, but no experience in fixing them. As we just had a lay-off, because our government would rather have our ferries built in Germany(bastards), I am hoping to save myself the cost of a repair shop, which I can't really afford right now. All/any advice is greatly appreciated!
MikeIf anything, that Perkins is one heck of a bull dog. I got a Perkins diesel in my MF30 tractor. Very good on fuel. But you have to add Stanodyne fuel lube to the diesel. The new low sulfur diesel will not lubricate the injection pump like it would on the old stuff. Good luck with it. You got a keeper.