PDA

View Full Version : making O/A welds with narrow beads - How?

mman
11-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Hey,

1. How narrow can one make an O/A lap joint on 1/8th mild steel? (angle iron).

2. What is the secret?

I can make a decent looking bead but the thing is about 1/2 inch wide. Using a #2 Victor tip and 5/20 on the regs, 3/32 R45 rod.

Thanks.

Fwiw I use O/A outside when it's raining and I don't feel like getting tased by the sa200 and the show must go on...

Louie1961
11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
probably a larger tip. Get the puddle going faster and move faster? just half a guess based on TIG welding. I was never very good at gas welding. I do know however you don't need that much O2 pressure except for cutting. usually the acetylene and O2 pressures should be the same.

g_man
11-25-2015, 04:29 PM
3/32 rod is good. Don't know the victor heads but you are going to slow for sure. If it is wide because you are melting the top piece to much direct your heat more on the bottom piece so only the very edge of the top piece and the bottom piece start to puddle at the same time.

burns
11-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Use a #3 or #4 tip and set the pressures at 10/10. I know they recommend lower pressures but I always just use 10/10 because my gauges aren't really setup to read lower pressures. You don't want to have unequal pressures when you're gas welding because it doesn't do anything except cause problems and make the flame hard to adjust. I would use a 1/16" rod to do this. The 3/32" rod is too big and will make the weld puddle hard to control. Weld it just like tig, you don't need any torch manipulation to make this weld. Use a neutral flame and keep the inner cone about 1/16" off the puddle.

mman
11-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Hey,
Thanks everyone for the ideas - I misspoke about the 5/10 - real number is/was 5/5, but I will certainly try a larger tip, moving faster and 1/16th. And yes the upper plate is getting
eaten big time and it feels really slow, so I maybe there's hope.

Thanks again.

Use a #3 or #4 tip and set the pressures at 10/10. I know they recommend lower pressures but I always just use 10/10 because my gauges aren't really setup to read lower pressures. You don't want to have unequal pressures when you're gas welding because it doesn't do anything except cause problems and make the flame hard to adjust. I would use a 1/16" rod to do this. The 3/32" rod is too big and will make the weld puddle hard to control. Weld it just like tig, you don't need any torch manipulation to make this weld. Use a neutral flame and keep the inner cone about 1/16" off the puddle.