PDA

View Full Version : 7018 Vertical up..# 2

koolken
11-29-2015, 06:54 PM
Hi guys..tried again yesterday...and got really frustrated for the main part. I finally figured out to run my root up on the sides a bit more so i got more room to fit in my 3rd stringer..but i should've run a bit higher amps cause my bend coupon didnt pass on my stop and start..got a biiittt of a crack. Face bend passed. Found it easier to run a weave cap then stringer. Ran 118 amps on my root passes up to cap.Cap i ran about 105 amps. Ohh...and didnt use chipping hammer :nono:

docwelder
11-29-2015, 08:11 PM
ok, now cut it up and bend the s#!t out of it.

koolken
11-29-2015, 08:16 PM
I did. My face bend was great. My root bend had less than hairline crack. Forgot to take a picture of it

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

weldypants
11-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Still appears like you need to focus on keeping a consistent bead. I haven't seen an inspector that would visually pass the first root pass. Has to be a 5/16" fillet with equal leg length. What gap are you setting the coupon at for vertical? Should be 1/2". I also think there is a rod angle and/or arc length gap problem which would be contributing to the under cut. Also the cap looks pretty heavy (can't be more than 1/8" re-enforement), but that may be a optical delusion:dizzy: though.....
Where are you located in Canada?
Maybe someone on here could give some pointers locally (if we knew where to find ya....)
Edit: Whatever the problem is that's causing the undercut - may be contributing to the uneven bead appearance (be it long arc, or too much rod angle, shaking etc...?)

koolken
11-29-2015, 09:14 PM
The coupon is 1/2 inch gap. Wow 5/16 fillet will not give me room for a 3rd root pass. I try to keep my rod angle close to 90.. My arc length pretty close.. Tried with a bit more arc lenght this coupon.

weldypants
11-29-2015, 09:23 PM
I only run 2 passes on the vertical coupon - not 3 but YMMV
The more arc length you have the more likely it will under cut.
Not to mention - if you long arc your re-start, chances are, there will be some sort of void open up when you do your root bend.
My .02 - run stringers on flat plate (in vertical position) until they are dead nuts straight, then tackle the test coupons. It gives a more consistent approach to figuring out where you are going wrong on heat, position, arc length etc. as your not changing anything or trying to weave - just running stringers.

koolken
11-29-2015, 09:26 PM
The test asks for 3 stringers on root. I've tried alot.. Maybe too many ideas! It's definitely kicking my butt

weldypants
11-29-2015, 10:08 PM
Regardless of stringer count - the first pass would be looked out by any inspector I have seen.
Undercut, un-equal legs, even appearance - would be looked out.
BTW never seen a vert up CWB test with 1/2" gap and 3 stringer root but YMMV.....
Back to basics.....