PDA

View Full Version : Welding Job Rates

jackrabbit41
12-09-2015, 12:34 AM
So Im 16 and lately been doing a lot of MIG welding. I suck at stick and i have never TIG'ed. Ive been doing a lot of jobs for friends and family but I put an add on craigslist for some welding services that I can offer on none critical stuff. Im wondering, should I come up with an hourly rate or price each job? I have a Lincoln 210 MP, very portable so I can go mobile, should I charge more? thanks!

Mr. Smith
12-09-2015, 01:08 AM
While I appreciate your gumption, there's a whole subset of civil law dedicated to liability. Stick to friends and family until you have a lot more experience with not only welding, but understanding the risks attendant to operating as a business. What you may consider to be non-critical may still hurt someone. Having not reached the age of majority, the responsibility to pay for your actions falls upon your parents. I understand the desire to make a few bucks, however you're not yet in a position to hold yourself out as a welder.

walker
12-09-2015, 01:13 AM
Here there is also a $15,000 fine for contracting without a license, just to add that into your thought process. I don't think you can get a job using power tools until 18, but maybe try getting an after school job as a shop helper in a welding shop.

123weld
12-09-2015, 02:03 AM
I'd probabaly stick to smaller jobs, and try to give them a set price, and have a set minimum $ for no matter how small the job is. i think its great what your trying to do. working for friends and family dont always pay to well. you might hesitate or think twice about welding on something that goes down the road though, stay away from trailer hitches for now. fixing gates and fence stuff might be something you can list in your advertising though. try to get cash from them. try to stay away from banks, cash your checks at the local corner store where you get bubble gum or wherever your mom buys her milk. I wouldn't worry about to much else, your still a minor. if anything goes to terrible wrong, just tell them your a runaway orphan, and you have no idea what your real name is. practice your stick welding, its important. please keeep us posted on how your doing

Welder Dave
12-09-2015, 02:27 AM
Show some pictures of your welds and quality of work and then we'll go from there.

Jase90
12-09-2015, 02:31 AM
Learn to stick weld, don't skip the basics. Stick welding is in my opinion the backbone of the trade. When all the fancy stuff fail at my work place. The half ton diesel driven stick welders get pulled out. All you need is a power source two leads and an electrode. There's so much information out there on how to weld properly. Miller and Lincoln have respectable tutorials as well as Jody from welding tips and tricks on YouTube. The education is out there everywhere. Good luck with your endeavors.

M J Mauer
12-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the forum.

BD1
12-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Nice to know you are a aggressive person. Depending on your location, maybe consider doing metal artwork to sell. There is all kinds of stuff that can be made and sold. Yard art , horseshoe art , and using silverware too . There is money to be made without leaving your shop. Maybe consider outside planted pot holders ? Go through the Project threads for some ideas. Doing art can be more rewarding then just running a 2'' long weld. There is more to projects then some people think. Try it, you may like it . :waving:

tracymobilecnc
12-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Hell yeah a go getter!

to answer your question;
i think that you should price by the job. it will help keep things up front for both you and the customer. you may lose out and not make the hourly rate that your shooting for but your likly not feeding the fam with the wages. and to bid a job is an extremely valuable skill. further i started 'working' when i was 12, yard jobs early on then progressing on, and back then i learned quick to never charge hourly people love to not judge work out put what 'on the clock' etc.....

you didn't ask, but some advice for what its worth....
do not advertise on craigslist, or anywhere. let your friends and family know that you are looking to increase the amount of work you take on and only accept new customers by word of mouth. your 16, eff the man! cash only! license and etc... dont worry about it. but dont advertise, work on cosmetic and non critical parts. (just a tip... if you have any antique/ shabby chic type store around go to them and offer the owners your service, alot of the old junk they find and sell as well and the cheap china stuff they mix in with it needs small tack up and repairs)

finally, yes you want to make money. but the bigger value is the learning and growing experience. if you make enough to cover your costs you are doing great. the networking with customers and experience will pay you back the rest of your life!

hotshot01
12-09-2015, 10:59 PM
Check on where you live, when i was starting a Part time gig I went down do my county courthouse to obtain a business license and I was told that I didnt need one unless i planned to make over $4000.00, which isnt a lot, but my point is not all states or even counties for that matter have the same laws.

jackrabbit41
12-10-2015, 11:43 PM
I'll get some pictures of my welds in here soon

Jefflitzy
12-12-2015, 01:06 AM
$4,oo0. A week, year, a second, a light year,? - WTF this means lots - if your going in to business- - figure $10,000 a year just for insurance for the various policys and if your get a deal it cheaper than that you got a deal. FYI i have one policy that cost me 1500 a year just for signing my name for a report just in case i forget something when i sign it to cover that in case i missed seeing something doing an inspection. Welcome to the insurance scam.