PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron filler, NI55 or NI99?

Cape Cod Gary
12-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Ford Model A transmission casing. would prefer to TIG, I can stick or gas weld it too. Comments, Questions Concerns?

thegary
12-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Ford Model A transmission casing. would prefer to TIG, I can stick or gas weld it too. Comments, Questions Concerns?
I have no experience with tiging cast iron. I have stick welded it fairly often. I like huntington alloys nickel arc 55 . If it is a very thin section of cast I would probably braze it. or loc-n-stitch. I have trouble accepting that tig on cast is any good unless it were in a chamber and heated very hot. I have read and seen on the internet where people have tig welded cast but I would have to do some nondestructive and some destructive tests on some in person before I could accept it .
I just did an old farm machine casting about 2 weeks ago. I brazed it and it turned out great. I had to remachine a bearing hole that was in the middle of the braze. Bored out the hole with a boring bar and everything fit great. Even still had a light press fit for the outer race of the bearing.

Cape Cod Gary
12-09-2015, 10:09 PM
I have a bunch of Cronatron NI55, may pre heat it and go after it

DSW
12-09-2015, 11:41 PM
You might try PMing Castweld here if he doesn't chime in. If anyone on this site is an expert at welding cast iron, it's him.

burns
12-10-2015, 01:51 AM
One or two passes and needs to be machined afterwards? Use Ni99. If I need to buildup 3 or more welds layers I use Ni55. That rule of thumb has worked pretty well for me. If I just need to repair and grind with no machining, including drilling, tapping, etc, I use Ni55.

G-son
12-10-2015, 04:06 AM
I'd braze it, O/A weld with (actual) cast iron filler (i.e. not nickel made for cast), or lock-n-stitch. Depending on the size, location, required machinability and future load on the repair.

drujinin
12-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Or you could PM me as I have a couple of trans housings on the shelf gathering dust.