PDA

View Full Version : Cool old Hobart generator/welder with Jeep motor on local Craigslist

yesindeed
12-16-2015, 02:11 AM
I came across this cool looking old generator welder in my local Craigslist site, in case anyone was interested in seeing photos. No price listed, so probably asking the moon.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/tls/5325680302.html

What is this blue box device?

John T
12-16-2015, 04:25 AM
Looks like a wire feeder.
Mig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkillbobb
12-16-2015, 06:58 AM
how does the hobart compare to say an sa-200??? value if it was running?

Sparkie1957
12-16-2015, 07:22 AM
Never had one of those myself but I'm sure they were good machines. I think the older engine drives had neat styling, much more than Lincoln's. The old Hobart machines never bring the same money as the SA200 machines. The SA200 seems to have a cult following, which in many cases is earned, that keeps their value relatively high. If a person wanted a cheap engine drive, an old Hobart that runs and welds would make a good project, just don't get to far upside down in what you invest vs. value

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

BYW200
12-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Here is a 1957 GPB 258 Hobart with the willys 134L head, and runs great after new rings,turning the crank,new rod and main bearings. Parts are out there for the engine, but for the rest of the machine your on your own unless you can find a good motor shop that can rewind it if there is a problem with the generator. Cool thing is, it has all copper winding in it.

duaneb55
12-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Neat pieces of history right there yesindeed.

BYW200, I'm sure it's the same or similar Hobart my late uncle used to have when I was a kid. Every once in awhile when it got real cold in the winter (below 0F for several days) the water supply pipe under the house would freeze and he'd come over, hook it up and thaw it out for us. We used straw and horse manure banking about 2' deep up against the parts of the house where the pipe was exposed for heat but if it got too cold for too long and we didn't let the water drip fast enough through the night there was a good chance the pipe would still freeze. We kept the barn milkhouse heated where the well head and pump were but the short 8-10' section of pipe under the house was susceptible to freezing.

BubbanSC
12-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Is it possible to get parts for a Hobart? Or is it just hard to find parts? Like for the welding and generator side? I have a 303 and it runs and welds great. I was just asking to see if I could get parts if I needed them.

yesindeed
12-16-2015, 06:55 PM

BYW200, I'm sure it's the same or similar Hobart my late uncle used to have when I was a kid. Every once in awhile when it got real cold in the winter (below 0F for several days) the water supply pipe under the house would freeze and he'd come over, hook it up and thaw it out for us.

Forgive a dumb city slicker question, but How did he thaw it with the machine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

roadkillbobb
12-16-2015, 07:41 PM
clamp onto metal pipe with the welder leads and it will melt whats between the leads....some welders have a thaw pipe setting..

yesindeed
12-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Can it be used on copper tubing? If so, won't it melt the solder on the joints?
And how do you know where the frozen blockage is?

roadkillbobb
12-16-2015, 09:57 PM
any metal piping, copper included, it doesnt get that hot, you have to guess where the freeze is but you can put the leads 100 ft apart if need be or more..

duaneb55
12-16-2015, 10:34 PM
. . . it doesnt get that hot . . .
It can if you leave the unit running long enough or have the weld current setting too high.

There are a number of precautions that need to be incorporated when using a welder to thaw pipes to prevent causing damage that can include fire or worse.

BYW200
12-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Yes Duane, I think the old Hobarts are as cool as the Lincolns. My Dad said back when he was in High school they had an old Hobart, best he remembers is it was gold colored and had a wisconsin engine, and was pretty noisy, but welded real good. They used it in AG class and made all kinds of stuff. I need to get back working on the GPB 258 model. Only thing is, It is producing some serious volts That are 4 times what it should be, I haven't figured out what is going on. It weld so hot that It could easally be use for arc gouging Half inch steel. I'm thinking about rolling the Main brush holder with rotation to see if I can bring it down, thats the only thing I think I haven't tried yet.

12V71
12-17-2015, 02:00 AM
Back to the machine in the original post, Anybody notice the lack of usual Hobart dual controls? Is this machine a single Knob control like a trailblazer?, and in the left hand side view, is that a diode bridge in the air vent for the generator? I see the remote plug and several output taps, looks like it has a single control shaft (minus knob) in the center of the panel. Is this a CV only machine, or what? I'm really curious.

roadkillbobb
12-17-2015, 07:49 AM
It can if you leave the unit running long enough or have the weld current setting too high.

There are a number of precautions that need to be incorporated when using a welder to thaw pipes to prevent causing damage that can include fire or worse.

I guess the statement" If used properly " should be implied on all instructions...:) I also have a machine, that is made just to be a pipe thaw-er..wonder if I can weld with it...lol....

7A749
12-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Slob will know what the deal with it is. He's super sharp on those old Hobarts.

yesindeed
12-17-2015, 11:48 AM
For those who didnt click on the ad, here are the rest of the photos before the ad goes away:

12V71
12-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Slob will know what the deal with it is. He's super sharp on those old Hobarts.

Yeah, he's probably hauling it home right now. :laugh:

Welder Dave
12-19-2015, 03:24 AM
Would be interesting to see the name plate as it would show if it's CV only. I'd guess it's from the 60's or early 70's. Hobarts were very good machines.

gundog77
12-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Some of you folks may be interested in an accessory that was sold at one time for thawing pipes. It was made by Lincoln Electric and called the Linc Thaw.

7A749
12-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Yeah, he's probably hauling it home right now. :laugh:

Wouldn't doubt it. He's a Wiley 'ol guy for sure :D

12V71
12-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Would be interesting to see the name plate as it would show if it's CV only. I'd guess it's from the 60's or early 70's. Hobarts were very good machines.

You know, that may explain why the feeder is offered with the machine. And explain the lack of amperage controls on the face. Just speculation.

Slob
01-07-2016, 12:25 PM
It'll do both stick and mig. The three connection points on the right side are for DC+, DC-, and CV. The left connection is the work lead. They worked very well and are robust in design.

old tom
12-03-2016, 08:03 PM

BYW200, I'm sure it's the same or similar Hobart my late uncle used to have when I was a kid. Every once in awhile when it got real cold in the winter (below 0F for several days) the water supply pipe under the house would freeze and he'd come over, hook it up and thaw it out for us. We used straw and horse manure banking about 2' deep up against the parts of the house where the pipe was exposed for heat but if it got too cold for too long and we didn't let the water drip fast enough through the night there was a good chance the pipe would still freeze. We kept the barn milkhouse heated where the well head and pump were but the short 8-10' section of pipe under the house was susceptible to freezing.

Back in the late 4o.s and early 5o,s may Dad had a welding shop in Aurora Il he had a 400amp Hobart powered by a Chrysler industrial motor on the back of his truck and he used to thaw lots of water pipes for farmers in the area.

njthom04
12-06-2016, 04:10 PM

Cool little tidbit, the circle around the 75 amp setting on older Lincoln tombstones is for the pipe thawing setting.