PDA

View Full Version : Smith Little Torch on my full-size regulators?

jpump5
01-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Ordered a Little Torch for small welding/brazing and I'm wondering if
my Purox R-720 regulators will
operate well enough at such low
pressures. From what I've read,smallest
tip runs at 1psi. O2 reg. is R-720-125-xx.
Anyone have experience using Little
Torch on full-size welding regulators?

rlitman
01-03-2016, 11:15 AM
It'll be fine. But the #1 tip is quite difficult to get lit, it's so darned small.

jpump5
01-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks
Torch comes with tips #2-7. I'd
read that #'s 2 and 3 were hard to
light. Small open flame is suggested for lighting small tips(candle).

M J D
01-03-2016, 11:27 AM
You will need diffrent fittings. The torch uses smaller fittings than the regulators.

Steve@DogResults.com
01-03-2016, 09:02 PM
My wife's worked fine on my old Aircos and the hoses were standard, same as my Smith and Craftsman. Maybe a little fiddling to get the low end where you want it if the regulator is older. When you check the regs that they sell with the unit, they're standard but the oxy has a finer scale on the gauge.

Steve

rlitman
01-04-2016, 03:42 AM
You will need diffrent fittings. The torch uses smaller fittings than the regulators.

Mine came with standard "B" size fittings. Goes right on my regulators. They're also sold with "A" size (same as a Prest-O-Lite torch), Depends on which package you get.

Thanks
Torch comes with tips #2-7. I'd
read that #'s 2 and 3 were hard to
light. Small open flame is suggested for lighting small tips(candle).

I have the 1-5 set (I figured 5 already overlaps with the smallest Victor tips I have, so I didn't need the bigger ones).
1,2, and 3 have jeweled inserts. 1 is devilishly hard to light. I've gotten it to work with acetylene just to see, but had to light it off another torch (couldn't get it to light off a sparker), and never really used it. It's as fine as a needle, and I think it's really made more for oxy-hydrogen users.
3 is a piece of cake to light.

OAdoctor
01-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Ordered a Little Torch for small welding/brazing and I'm wondering if
my Purox R-720 regulators will
operate well enough at such low
pressures. From what I've read,smallest
tip runs at 1psi. O2 reg. is R-720-125-xx.
Anyone have experience using Little
Torch on full-size welding regulators?

The smaller tips will work, but you would get better performance if you had an oxygen regulator that will allow you to set your pressure at 1 - 2 psi. (Not to mention a gauge that is easy to set at 1 -2 psi) I have modified several regulators for this exact purpose. Contact me if you are interested in getting a regulator that will work better for the Smith Mini Torch.

www.regulatortorchrepair.com