PDA

View Full Version : Welding Cart Options for Small Welder (Hobart Handler 140) with 150cf bottle?

Grizzlybagworks
03-03-2016, 11:37 PM
Hi guys, After gas welding/brazing for a couple years now I've decided to take the plunge into MIG. I picked up a Hobart Handler 140 and a 150cf C25 bottle. I'm looking at the size of this bottle now and am wondering if the Harbor Freight welding cabinet I was planning on getting (http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-cabinet-61705.html) is going to be able to handle this large of a bottle.

Do you guys have an suggestions for a durable welding cart that will fit the bill? Most of the carts I've come across don't seem to be sufficient for a 150cf bottle.

Can't wait to get going. Thanks much!

Iain P
03-04-2016, 12:02 AM
I have a 125cf bottle on my $35 HF cart and it hasn't crushed the cart yet.

BD1
03-04-2016, 12:05 AM
Congrats on the new toys. Now that you have why not build a cart ?? This is where you design and build. There are many styles and posts on carts. Here's one I did ,
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?341471-211-CART-And&highlight=welding+cart
Do a search, there are many out there. What's your location ? You could check craigs list for steel too.

tackit
03-04-2016, 12:31 AM
I've been impressed by those that convert old two drawer filing cabinets into carts. An angle iron frame underneath for mounting wheels and having bottle shelf is about all you would need.

wornoutoldwelder
03-04-2016, 12:54 AM
YES!!!!! PLEASE jump in and first thang build you the cart of your dreams....and make certain NOT to slant the frigging top shelf like all them frigging "factory" carts do....Hell, and build it tall nuff you can see and reach it and have room beneath mig for next welder or plasma you WILL eventually buy...And make certain to put it all on LARGE swivel casters where the two in front lock with toe pedal...no more of them itty bitty swivel front only casters and no swivel rear ones...
those factory carts are all trash and way over priced and they all tip over super quick....And YES they do even for those here that ain't seen it, trust me that they easily do and will someday for you.

Lemme find old pic of my present cart while I was building it...the whole cart was made from scraps I picked from work or in junk piles...the only money I didn't hesitate to spend on it was for USA made large swivel casters....That cart now reliably holds four, frigging four, machines and two 150 ft bottles and another 100 lbs of crap-maybe 200 lbs of it, and prolly weighs in a just under 600 lbs but rolls with just finger tips in full 360's.

It holds heavy Hobart tranny MVP 210 mig, HTP-221 tig/stick, two Hypertherm plasmas, two spool guns..all my tig rods and tip kits, all my plasma kits...50 ft of 6-3 extension cord. all three of my helmets. perhaps 8 pairs of gloves...all my soaps and markals, and my mig pliers and many extra mig tips and nozzles. I frigging love my cart.

wornoutoldwelder
03-04-2016, 01:04 AM
All loaded out...recent...with 4 welding/cutting machines and bottles and gear...machines are all on top two shelves with lots of gear stowage on bottom still not used.

Almost first thang I ever welded, but fersure it remains the best because it supports all have done since and will tomorrow.

Bistineau
03-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Why buy one when you can build one? You need some sort of excuse to start using it, and getting the hang of using it, so get started building something you will like and use often. Use the search feature in the top right corner of this page to find examples of what has been done and pick and choose the features you like to add to your new welding buggy. The store bought ones are flimsy and over priced like wornoutoldwelder says, and don't have near the features you will want anyway. For the investment of the $35 you would spend on the HF cart, you can get enough material to make one 5 times as useful and more to your liking.:cool::cool2::)

tinker001
03-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Here is the one I built for all of my welders and plasma cutter.

and still has room for more. And still a work in progress.

Grizzlybagworks
03-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, photos and encouragement guys! I really appreciate you not ripping me a new one for asking such a 'newb' question.

Initially I wanted to make the cart but decided against it since I was concerned that my welds would come out poorly and I'd end up wanting to remake it down the road as I got better. Well, I spent a couple hours today familiarizing myself with the machine and practicing some different joints and runs. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO GET INTO MIG??!?!?! I can't even believe how much faster this is than gas welding and brazing. No flux, no clean up, no crazy surface prep....I'm feeling great about my the appearance and strength of these welds after only an hour.

Sooo, I'm going to get started on building my own cart. I came across this design and really like it. I'm hoping to get an AHP AlphaTig200X a little down the road so this cart looks like it could accommodate that on the lower rack as well as the HH140 on the middle rack.

I have a load of 16g 1-1/4" square tubing from another project. Do you guys think that that'll be strong enough with this design?

Original design from this thread: http://www.ranger-forums.com/fabrication-tool-tech-42/welding-cart-project-now-complete-pics-page-5-a-132845/page4/

Pipeliner
03-05-2016, 08:48 PM
16ga. will be fine.

Bistineau
03-06-2016, 09:28 AM
That looks like decent design you have found. I would suggest larger wheels on the front though. That will make it easier to roll over things like extension cords laying on the shop floor. With those smaller wheels, a cord will act more like a wheel chock and stop it dead in it's tracks, with some weight on it.That third shelf on top gives you some future expansion room too, so you can add another machine up top later on, like a plasma cutter.

rahtreelimbs
03-06-2016, 11:23 AM
For the investment of the $35 you would spend on the HF cart, you can get enough material to make one 5 times as useful and more to your liking.:cool::cool2::) Where are you buying your materials?

Bistineau
03-06-2016, 09:29 PM
Where are you buying your materials?

In Shreveport La.

wornoutoldwelder
03-06-2016, 11:10 PM
I like the cart style you selected...YEAH fersure go with at least 3-4" front casters or that rig will be instantly stopped by every weld BB on your floor.

As for as that thin walled tube, it will work ok, but first learn to weld the thin stuff really well because you won't have any front upright legs...Sounds like you have enuff scraps to do plenty of practice.....Seeing as how it is a small project, you will be able to turn it flat for every weld and not worry about blowing holes up/downhill.... those type welds take lots of hood time on thin stuff.

dwright361
03-14-2016, 12:26 PM
tig welder with cooler cart13717211371731

Bistineau
03-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.

Original design from this thread: http://www.ranger-forums.com/fabrication-tool-tech-42/welding-cart-project-now-complete-pics-page-5-a-132845/page4/

How is the build going on your new welding cart? Be sure to post some pix of it for us as you build it. We like pix of things being made, and what they look like finished.:):waving: